Author Topic: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Rear License Plate Light Assembly  (Read 3636 times)

Offline bullitt68

1968 San Jose GT 390 Rear License Plate Light Assembly
« on: April 20, 2020, 04:29:27 PM »
I tried searching for a photo of a Rear License Plate Light Assembly. Would love to see an original and a restored version if possible. I am assuming that mine is original. It looks bent to me.

Thanks
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Rear License Plate Light Assembly
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 06:08:58 PM »
Don't have one off the car - closest I have is a 69.

Yes yours is bent, wire cut and the plating is long gone. Pretty easy to restore. You can knock the socket out like the taillight, back up and turn signal ones. Replate and reassemble if not pitted. Not sure if the gaskets are reproduced but likely are. Finish between the housing and bracket are different from the rivet if I recall correctly. Others will double check my statement.

Use to toss a dozen or more of these into the bucket every time I did plating on a more regular basis and sold off the extras
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 08:10:27 PM »

Yes yours is bent, wire cut and the plating is long gone. Pretty easy to restore. You can knock the socket out like the taillight, back up and turn signal ones. Replate and reassemble if not pitted. Not sure if the gaskets are reproduced but likely are. Finish between the housing and bracket are different from the rivet if I recall correctly. Others will double check my statement.

Use to toss a dozen or more of these into the bucket every time I did plating on a more regular basis and sold off the extras
Gaskets are reproduced although different (big surprise). Yes on different rivet finish.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 02:22:29 AM »

Thanks Jeff. I started cleaning up the License Plate Light Assembly and it looks original as it has a Ford Logo. Not sure what the original gasket looks like, but here is mine.

Also it looked the centre pice was dichromate and the main bracket was zinc.

Concerning shape, does my mounting end tabs (ears) look bent or is that how they came?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:25:10 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 05:31:17 AM »
Both parts of the body would have been zinc dichromate As we all accept the dye does not hold up to the test of time and the elements

The "ears" would be straight across from one another ( in an imaginary straight line) the the light would sit horizontal to the attaching surface and the bumper

Something like this only allot nicer looking. Sorry not a great picture but what I have

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 01:48:58 PM »
Both parts of the body would have been zinc dichromate As we all accept the dye does not hold up to the test of time and the elements

The "ears" would be straight across from one another ( in an imaginary straight line) the the light would sit horizontal to the attaching surface and the bumper

Something like this only allot nicer looking. Sorry not a great picture but what I have

Great thanks Jeff. That is a great start as it is the first visual reference I have. Looks like my bulb lens cover is original as well, not sure about my gasket. Looks like I will need top try to find a new wire as someone cut mine at some point.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 01:52:40 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 02:13:52 PM »
Great thanks Jeff. That is a great start as it is the first visual reference I have. Looks like my bulb lens cover is original as well, not sure about my gasket. Looks like I will need top try to find a new wire as someone cut mine at some point.
Gasket appears original . You will have to get the wire and grommet from a donor lic plate light if you want it like original.I am not aware of a alternate source .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 02:16:41 PM »
Gasket appears original . You will have to get the wire and grommet from a donor lic plate light if you want it like original.I am not aware of a alternate source .

Great thanks Bob. I will check with Scott at West Coast Classic Cougars. Sometimes they are pretty good at oddball original parts. I wonder if the Cougar had the same light assembly.
Mike

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 05:27:57 PM »
I will check with Scott at West Coast Classic Cougars. Sometimes they are pretty good at oddball original parts. I wonder if the Cougar had the same light assembly.
The 68 license plate light assembly for Mustangs is the same as the 67, C7ZB-13550-B. I'm not sure, but the wire assembly, from socket to male bullet connector, "may" be the same as used in 64 thru 66.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 08:09:55 AM »
This might be off topic but related to the license lamp hardware and details.

I have two lamps, both appear to be original 67 lamps, but no date stamping noticed on either.

I did notice a black daub near one rivet on the one removed from my project car but keep in mind that doesn't mean to say it is the original one to my car because I know of at least 3 times that I had that bumper off the car when I was close to several other vehicles for parts donors so no way to be sure. I was hoping to find a date stamp to prove or disprove it being the original.

Anyways, about the black daub. I see another daub at the bulb socket.

The other lamp looks like a daub of black, (perhaps sealant) to temporarily glue the gasket in place?

I also observed two different clips for the mounting screws, the clips that slide onto the lamps. Perhaps different assembly plants or time periods.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 08:14:11 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 10:28:25 AM »
This might be off topic but related to the license lamp hardware and details.

I have two lamps, both appear to be original 67 lamps, but no date stamping noticed on either.

I did notice a black daub near one rivet on the one removed from my project car but keep in mind that doesn't mean to say it is the original one to my car because I know of at least 3 times that I had that bumper off the car when I was close to several other vehicles for parts donors so no way to be sure. I was hoping to find a date stamp to prove or disprove it being the original.

Anyways, about the black daub. I see another daub at the bulb socket.

The other lamp looks like a daub of black, (perhaps sealant) to temporarily glue the gasket in place?

I also observed two different clips for the mounting screws, the clips that slide onto the lamps. Perhaps different assembly plants or time periods.
Black is most likely gasket sealant for the reason you suspect.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 10:36:47 AM »
Upon disassembling, I found a few other details.

1.) a possible date code on one lens cover at the screw hole.
2.) There seems to be a shellac daub on the socket, where it meets the bulb socket housing ( no picture provided, sorry).
3.) There were two different screws used to secure the bulb cover (one is not a machine screw).
4.) Different bulb springs
5.) As mentioned already different mounting clips but one had slightly shorter screws also.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 10:42:55 AM »
Upon disassembling, I found a few other details.

1.) a possible date code on one lens cover at the screw hole.
2.) There seems to be a shellac daub on the socket, where it meets the bulb socket housing ( no picture provided, sorry).
3.) There were two different screws used to secure the bulb cover (one is not a machine screw).
4.) Different bulb springs
5.) As mentioned already different mounting clips but one had slightly shorter screws also.
Clearly two different mfg's .That supports Ford's practice so as to keep delays down to a minimum if supply was interrupted from a single MFG.Thanks for the comparison

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2020, 12:21:49 PM »
This place sells the wiring cover:
https://www.restorationspecialties.com/Wire-Loom_c_326.html

I don't remember the exact size, but shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2020, 12:24:50 PM »
And you can get the wiring ends here, since to install new sheathing requires the end to be snipped.

https://www.repairconnector.com/
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin