Author Topic: Upper / Lower Control Arms: Buy new or restore originals?  (Read 2109 times)

Offline evantugby

Upper / Lower Control Arms: Buy new or restore originals?
« on: April 18, 2020, 04:41:11 PM »
Experts,
Hoping to get some guidance.  I'm doing as good of a concours-level restoration on a 66 fastback k-code as my budget allows.  :) 

Question 1:  Were all upper & lower control arms the same for C, A, and K-codes?

Question 2:  Is it worth paying big money ($1500-$2000) to have someone restore my upper & lower control arms or would you just replacing them with look-a-likes found here:

https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-upper-control-arm-assembly-premium-black-gray-1965-1966/p/UCA3/

https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake-lower-control-arm-assembly-premium-black-gray-1965-1966/p/LCA71/

Note:  Pictures are for your determination on authenticity and worthiness of restoring.  My lower control arm knuckles appear original with pressed in bolts.  However my upper control arm knuckle is using bolts. 

Thanks for the guidance!

Evan
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:11:47 PM by evantugby »
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Upper / Lower Control Arms: Buy new or restore originals?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 05:52:32 PM »
Question 1:  Were all upper & lower control arms the same for C, A, and K-codes?

And 6 cylinders also ;)

Question 2:  Is it worth paying big money ($1500-$2000) to have someone restore my upper & lower control arms or would you just replacing them with look-a-likes found here:

It's a choice between cost and how close to original you want to be. Just like many other parts on the car.

It's like cutting corners or lower your expectations when building a house or buying  a new car. Or in racing how fast do you want to go. At the beginning you can gain allot of time for a few thousand dollars. Once your car is really quick and competitive then a tenth of a second might mean tens of thousands of dollars

If your concerned about judging it can be  about what the cost is per point you could lose. Make too many choices and lower the quality/originality then your going to end up getting a lesser and correctly so award.  Make these choices where they are too easy to see you'll have more "car show experts" pointing them out when you show the car.

It's all about choices and no one can make them for you. Once you make them accept them for what they are.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 09:26:28 PM »
I'd recommend restoring originals, especially on a part that would be rather difficult to swap out and risk damaging paint or other areas later.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline evantugby

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 10:57:34 PM »
Thanks for your feedback, gentlemen. 

Charles/Jim--Have you restored control arms before?  If so, did you drill out the waffle pattern rivots and replace with nuts/bolts?

Follow-up question:  Did the upper control arms get half painted black like in photo 1 or in photo 2? 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:12:25 PM by evantugby »

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline bluemax

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2020, 01:05:18 PM »

I am currently struggling with the same question.

It appears that your lower control arms are worn from the end links, not sure if those can be restored.

When I removed the UCA shaft on my original arms I noticed that the threads were gaulded/worn and I wonder if those too can be repaired or reused.

Offline evantugby

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 03:39:46 PM »
This should answer alot of your questions:

http://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/5/1/2/35122002/65_to_73_suspension_guide_v2.0a.pdf

excellent article on identification of these components. Helped out a lot!  Thank you. I sent you a PM. 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 06:44:47 PM »
Charles/Jim--Have you restored control arms before?  If so, did you drill out the waffle pattern rivots and replace with nuts/bolts?

They wouldn't be correct with nuts/bolts.  Marcus and a couple others can do the rivets correctly.  Having the correct ball joints/boots is another matter.  The correct C4 ones are getting expensive these days as there is no correct reproduction.  Some have used Moog ball joints with reproduction C7 boots.  Still not correct, but may have to compromise depending on what the final goal and budget are.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline evantugby

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 07:09:30 PM »
Charles,
I know drilling out my rivots and replacing with nuts/bolts isn't correct but that is where I will compromise because I would like to restore a set on my own.  Marcus does great work but my budget doesn't allow me to use his services for this particular item...at least I'm not ready to eat that bill yet.  :)

I did find "K" stamped into each of my UCAs.  I read Marcus Anghel's PDF on UCAs and he mentioned "not all stampings on UCAs fall into a date code format" and provided a couple pictures in the PDF of stampings like "5CC", "22", "JD", "64".  Mine simple has "K".  Check out the picture.  Anyone have any theory as to what these stamps mean?

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2020, 07:21:42 PM »
If you have a small matching shop in your town you can do all the work and have them press the rivets in.  Ask around you might just find someone willing to tinker with it
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2020, 07:28:47 PM »
most shops won't 'tinker with it' due to a liability issue.
5F09C331248

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 07:52:13 PM »
A couple near me will and do.  If you don’t ask they won’t tell
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 10:39:13 PM »
Well, let us know the names of these shops that are willing to tinker with it.  I have about 10 sets I can send right away.  Im looking forward to hearing about that. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2020, 08:15:19 AM »
I'll check with them this week and report back - a lot of places here are shut down. 
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline hughnews1

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 11:07:12 AM »
i have 66 I6   bot all new  susp   inc new radior  and orig bench seat
hugh  schnacky