Author Topic: Concours Mustang on FACEBOOK?  (Read 1681 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Concours Mustang on FACEBOOK?
« on: April 05, 2020, 10:28:59 AM »
I know of several members of Concours Mustang on Facebook and there are an ever growing number of Facebook Groups popping up over there.

My question is, knowing Admin has enough going on here to keep them busy, is there a feasible way to interlink information at this site to any discussions ongoing over there? I suppose this is asking, do we wish to consider opening a Facebook Group that can steer Facebook members over to here for better answers?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Concours Mustang on FACEBOOK?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 10:47:42 AM »
i wonder how many of the 5k members here have f/b account. i do not and will not succumb to that medium.
5F09C331248

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 11:15:25 AM »
I'm on FB, but only since about 2 months ago.  Bought and sold a few parts.  Made a couple good connections with other Ford guys, both locally and out of state.  It is a good way to keep up with extended family and friends.   There is of course crap that I just gloss over and don't look at.   Just like email.  Just like Google search results.  Just like a good old extended family get together with you know who:)   Like any form of communication and information source, you can be in full control of your consumption.

I would say that if you find Facebook groups that have posts that lean towards the Concours approach, you can always reply with a link to this site, or perhaps a site link that has content pertinent to the discussion at hand.  That would result in no change here except perhaps for more trolling and/or more members.  This would be no different than, for example, going to the VMF site and referencing a CMF thread.

If you are thinking about creating a new Facebook group for Concours-centric discussion, are you asking for recommendations, permission, etc?  I don't think that there is any legal limitation, but perhaps you are thinking of an ethical implication?

Options:

1. No concours FB group, point others to this site as you see fit
2. Create a concours FB group, but don't directly associate it with this site
3. Create a concours FB group and provide some sort of connection here

I would say that option 2 is a good choice, but would look for input from others as to whether or not to go as far as option 3.

Maybe we can start with option 2, and then decide later whether to make a direct link?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 11:19:02 AM »
What is this?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/concoursmustang/

I just clicked to join the group.

John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 12:46:51 PM »
We've had the concoursmustang facebook page for a while.  Very few have joined and there hasn't been much activity.  It's there for folks to do with as they please.  It can't be 'linked' to the content here, so it would be a separate medium.  While the facebook groups are nice to interact with others, one of the pitfalls is folks will post the same type of questions over and over and few will take the time to search for the answers first.  I guess it's like a fast-food drive through in that respect.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 01:01:56 PM »
Not to be negative, but I'm a bit more grown up to delve into Facebook. Besides, I don't like "being used".
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Online 69GT350H

• 1 of 10 Hertz Rentals from Miami Int Airport
    • RedsHost is my private forum and photo gallery site
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 01:40:10 PM »
The old VMF forum changed hands a while back and some of the old diehards created a FaceBook Group. The FB group's activity is crazy busy, but so are some, or most of the comments. Good posts are quickly lost and pushed down, and then mixed in with the incorrect info posts and the posts that have nothing to do with the subject. I do not like FB for this kind of info, the storage of, retrieval of this type of content.

I am in many FB groups where there is info that can and needs to be gotten out quickly with pertinent responses. For me, that is what the FB groups are for. Stuff that can be posted, and in a day, week, or month be forgotten about. There is a search feature on FB Groups, but I have found it to be most unreliable.

I agree with having a FB page (not group) that has information about the forum. Something with Admin approved postings so it does not get overwhelmed with junk, and good quality posts can be displayed with references back to the forum.

Just my 2 pennies after being on the internet for the last 40 or so years (yes, I started when you connected to the universities with dial up modems), running my own forums, WEB sites and being an admin of several FB pages and groups.
Accurate looking but not a Concours Restoration/build. See my build photo gallery at 69GT350 Hertz Build

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 03:12:35 PM »
Most of the time on Facebook I try and point people over to this forum to get correct details and look for unrestored cars. 
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 03:17:33 PM »
The replies that explain how the format of Facebook does not make it a replacement for a forum such as this are spot on.  The explanations were very good.  It does appear that Facebook is more of a "yesterday and today" type of thing.  More than once I have tried to look for old content, and it is not easy to find for sure.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 05:49:08 PM »
Most of the time on Facebook I try and point people over to this forum to get correct details and look for unrestored cars.

+1

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 06:32:39 PM »
What is this?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/concoursmustang/

I just clicked to join the group.

I have now joined the group too

I see Charles is admin of the FB Group, that is a great thing...

Would it be permitable to use the "Official Concours Mustang" banner picture from this site, over there too or is that a reach?
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 10:34:39 PM »
I have now joined the group too

I see Charles is admin of the FB Group, that is a great thing...

Would it be permitable to use the "Official Concours Mustang" banner picture from this site, over there too or is that a reach?

Done... doesn't look the greatest as FB forces minimum dimensions of the image.  If anyone can come up with something better, post it to the page and I'll set it as the banner.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin