Author Topic: 1970 Mustang side mirrors  (Read 896 times)

Offline mikeboss429

1970 Mustang side mirrors
« on: April 02, 2020, 10:22:04 AM »
Hello Mustang expert,

I'm confused with my car, a 1970 Export Coupe actually in restoration because I have not my side mirrors with the car.

There is no Color keyed racing mirrors mentioned on the Marti report, so I looked for the standard mirrors D0ZZ-17696-A or C9ZB-17743-B, but these seem smaller than the mounting holes on my car. The Ford Torino mirrors D0OZ-17696-B and Galaxie D0AZ-17696-A seem longer than those of Mustangs.

I don't know which model was originally fitted.

Note that the car manufactured just before mine had standard mirrors and they do not look like the D0ZZ-17696-A models.

Could someone help me see more clearly?
1970 Mustang Coupe M code built at Metuchen.

Offline 7Lscjracer

Re: 1970 Mustang side mirrors
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 02:02:42 PM »
I agree that sport mirrors should have been called out on your report, but so should any kind of remote mirror unless you have the deluxe interior.
You only have one factory threaded insert remaining on the passenger side, so have a look inside the doors to see if there's evidence of patches made for relocation.
I really doubt that's the case though, I think the inserts just busted loose so they were ripped out along with the mirrors to get the mirrors off.
The Phillips screw head should have been drilled off, but bubba strikes again is more often the way.
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline mikeboss429

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 02:38:21 PM »
Thanks I have a black deluxe interior code TA with remote control on the left door.
1970 Mustang Coupe M code built at Metuchen.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 03:19:40 PM »
Your doors appear to have been modified and or repaired over the years.

Here is an thread on the retaining nuts and their installation/replacement

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6563.new#new

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6541.15

Standard (non-remote) mirrors were not installed at the car plant and would have been installed instead at dealerships so some odd matched did happen.

Mirrors could have been replaced over the years using other non-original mirrors - more common or ones in better condition. Have seen a fair number of Torino mirrors on Mustangs through the years.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)