Author Topic: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Various Fasteners Confirmation and Finishes  (Read 3899 times)

Offline bullitt68

Looking to confirm if these fasteners are correct before I commit any time to refinish them. I based these finishes on my research, but just want to make sure I am correct in my findings.

Thanks

1. Brake line bolts (Phosphate and oil)
2. Brake line clips (Natural & Black paint)
3. Brake distro valve nut (Phosphate and oil)  Bolt (Silver Zinc)
4. Power ram nut  (Silver Zinc)
5. Horn bolts (Phosphate and oil)
6. Hood latch bolts (Cad)
7. Water pump bolts   (Phosphate and oil then painted)
8. Inner Shock tower cover bolts (Phosphate and oil)
9. Brake booster nuts (CAD)
10. Motor mount bolts  (Phosphate and oil)
11. Power ram bracket to frame bolts (Phosphate and oil, nuts Red Dichromate, washers?)
12. Cross member bolts  (Phosphate)
13. Fan spacer bolts & Washers (Phosphate)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 03:26:37 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Various Fasteners Confirmation and Finishes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 01:30:02 PM »
Looking to confirm if these fasteners are correct before I commit any time to refinish them. I based these finishes on my research, but just want to make sure I am correct in my findings.

Thanks

1. Brake line bolts (Phosphate and oil)
2. Brake line clips (Natural & Black paint)
3. Brake distro valve nut (Phosphate and oil)  Bolt (Silver Zinc)
4. Power ram nut  (Silver Zinc)
5. Horn bolts (Phosphate and oil)
6. Hood latch bolts (Cad)
7. Water pump bolts   (Phosphate and oil then painted)
10. Motor mount bolts  (Phosphate and oil)
11. Power ram bracket to frame bolts (Phosphate and oil, nuts Red Dichromate, washers?)
12. Cross member bolts  (Phosphate)
2-screws are zinc silver and clips zinc silver , 7-zinc silver/cad, power ram nut should be silver but you have the wrong style nut. Nut should be a thin jam nut held by a shell jam nut.13-zinc silver/cad.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 02:44:23 PM »
Have you looked in the Forum's library under topic "Mustang Hardware Spreadsheet 67-68"? There are two files, one by part number, the other by application. Both files list hardware finishes as part of the Ford hardware part number and in a second column that can be sorted.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 03:04:27 PM »
2-screws are zinc silver and clips zinc silver , 7-zinc silver/cad, power ram nut should be silver but you have the wrong style nut. Nut should be a thin jam nut held by a shell jam nut.13-zinc silver/cad.

Thanks Bob that is great info. I will probably just order the correct fasteners from AMK that I am missing as they should come in the correct finish etc, but will use as many original fasteners as I can since I am able to do cad plating in house. We do Silver Zinc/Clear Zinc, Silver CAD, Dichromate etc. The vapour blaster & tumbler are great for natural finishes as well and some cases just Evaporust does the trick. I usually start with an Evaporust bath for a few days, then a solvent tank bath if required. In some cases the part may require a trip to the dry media blaster or straight to the vapour blaster. However I only use the dry media blaster if there is paint on the fastener if the other steps have not stripped the part clean. Final step is a cleaning bath in muriatic acid and then into which ever finishing process is required
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 03:23:17 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 03:06:49 PM »
Have you looked in the Forum's library under topic "Mustang Hardware Spreadsheet 67-68"? There are two files, one by part number, the other by application. Both files list hardware finishes as part of the Ford hardware part number and in a second column that can be sorted.
Jim

Hi Jim. Yes I used the spreadsheet, but I am new to it and it is a bit confusing, which I why I wanted to double check and be sure. Hopefully I will get the hang of it. I cross reference the spreadsheet with the MPC, but I was not always able to find exactly what I was looking for, but I find sorting alphabetically really helps and so does numerically for searching. A great reference tool indeed.
Mike

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 06:04:02 PM »
I cross reference the spreadsheet with the MPC, but I was not always able to find exactly what I was looking for, but I find sorting alphabetically really helps and so does numerically for searching. .
Ford Car Parts (aka the MPC) is not really a good source to determine body or interior hardware part numbers or finishes. Ford dealers could not stock all the different pieces of hardware used on the assembly lines for all models of cars and trucks (include Mercury), so what is shown in the MPC is what works, and not what was originally installed. The exceptions are engines, transmissions and differentials internals, and that is not an absolute. The best source (and that is not always true) for hardware parts and finishes is the Osborn Mustang Assembly Manual. What is listed there is what Ford Engineering intended to be used, and that was subject to assembly line procedures and availability. (Note to Cougar owners, a lot of Cougar stuff is in some of the assembly manuals.)
A great reference tool indeed.
Thanks. The story behind the spreadsheets is simple. I went to a local Mustang shop (now closed) and told the counter guy I needed, "one each of the bolt that held the clutch return spring bracket to the brake support on a 66 Mustang GT Fastback, four speed". He said he had no idea what it was. Well, he didn't, but I decided to find out. That was over 25 years ago. The Osborn Manuals made it possible.
OH, the bolt I needed (technically, it's a machine screw) is 43490-S8, 5/16-18 X 3/4 Hex, split lockwasher, clear zinc plated. AMK does not carry that exact bolt.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 06:10:26 PM »
Ford Car Parts (aka the MPC) is not really a good source to determine body or interior hardware part numbers or finishes. Ford dealers could not stock all the different pieces of hardware used on the assembly lines for all models of cars and trucks (include Mercury), so what is shown in the MPC is what works, and not what was originally installed. The exceptions are engines, transmissions and differentials internals, and that is not an absolute. The best source (and that is not always true) for hardware parts and finishes is the Osborn Mustang Assembly Manual. What is listed there is what Ford Engineering intended to be used, and that was subject to assembly line procedures and availability. (Note to Cougar owners, a lot of Cougar stuff is in some of the assembly manuals.) Thanks. The story behind the spreadsheets is simple. I went to a local Mustang shop (now closed) and told the counter guy I needed, "one each of the bolt that held the clutch return spring bracket to the brake support on a 66 Mustang GT Fastback, four speed". He said he had no idea what it was. Well, he didn't, but I decided to find out. That was over 25 years ago. The Osborn Manuals made it possible.
OH, the bolt I needed (technically, it's a machine screw) is 43490-S8, 5/16-18 X 3/4 Hex, split lockwasher, clear zinc plated. AMK does not carry that exact bolt.
Jim

Thanks Jim I have the Osborn manuals and will cross reference those as well. Between them I should be able to get close, but sometimes if unsure I will post and ask just to make sure.

What about this detailing guide (K.A. Helm 1995). Are you familiar with it. It is not overly specific. Just curious how accurate is it?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 06:59:06 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 07:35:29 PM »
What about this detailing guide (K.A. Helm 1995). Are you familiar with it. It is not overly specific. Just curious how accurate is it?

Would not suggest using it for anything. No reason to. You have much much better options now than you did back when this was originally published (way over a decade ago) and even then allot of the details were taken from the final versions of the MPCs it appears. Just my bias opinion on this one
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 07:39:37 PM »
Would not suggest using it for anything. No reason to. You have much much better options now than you did back when this was originally published (way over a decade ago) and even then allot of the details were taken from the final versions of the MPCs it appears. Just my bias opinion on this one

Thanks Jeff. I had to ask as I have seen a few things that do not jive with the information I am getting. I can't recall where I got the book from, but I probably ordered it on line when I ordered the Osborn manuals. At the time it was the only list I had. I am sure it serves as a guide for many people who don't know there is more accurate information available
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 07:44:10 PM »

Just a couple in the list

If you look through the unrestored pictures in that section and focus on the 68 San Jose examples you can answer some of these questions and have visual confirmation at the same time ;)

8- Try the pictures (easiest to see) in the Early 68 T code San Jose Coupe thread

9- Of course the booster nuts will be painted when you paint the booster and master cylinder assembly all together as a unit

10- You have a fan spacer??

................ At the time it was the only list I had. I am sure it serves as a guide for many people who don't know there is more accurate information available

As we have seen all too often owners just want to buy a book or guide that is suppose to provide all the answers and as always there are people out there who will fill  the need with a product be it good or bad. No matter the item many companies will continue to carry and sell items because "people buy them" and owners will buy them assuming that the reason companies carry them is because they must be of some use or why would the company promote the item.   ::)  Have had this conversation many times with shops and companies and even back when I started one many moons ago
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 07:49:25 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 07:49:21 PM »
Just a couple in the list

If you look through the unrestored pictures in that section and focus on the 68 San Jose examples you can answer some of these questions and have visual confirmation at the same time ;)

8- Try the pictures (easiest to see) in the Early 68 T code San Jose Coupe thread

9- Of course the booster nuts will be painted when you paint the booster and master cylinder assembly all together as a unit

10- You have a fan spacer??

Thanks Jeff I will check out the survivor thread. Good question on the fan spacer?? I don't have one currently, but though that I needed one for some reason, but I may be getting confused looking at the fastener spreadsheet. I will also check the MPC

So does that mean that the booster was painted on the firewall, which would explain the painted nuts. I have already painted my booster while it was off the car
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2020, 11:11:40 PM »
Thanks Jeff I will check out the survivor thread. Good question on the fan spacer?? I don't have one currently, but though that I needed one for some reason, but I may be getting confused looking at the fastener spreadsheet. I will also check the MPC

So does that mean that the booster was painted on the firewall, which would explain the painted nuts. I have already painted my booster while it was off the car
Your 390 car uses a fan clutch from the factory which bolts to the fan with 4 short sems type bots that are zinc silver. The fan clutch is secured to the waterpump and waterpump pulley on the flange end by 4 sems type fine thread bolts. The flange bolts at the pulley are zinc silver.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2020, 11:21:10 PM »
Bob got the spacer/clutch one handled and there is an example in the threads I mentioned so on to the other one

No this means that the provider of the master cylinder and booster painted them together as a complete unit before they arrived at the car assembly plant ready to install Like the example below though it is for a different application. Bale on the master cylinder cap would have been closed on it also  ::)

Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2020, 01:28:22 AM »
Your 390 car uses a fan clutch from the factory which bolts to the fan with 4 short sems type bots that are zinc silver. The fan clutch is secured to the waterpump and waterpump pulley on the flange end by 4 sems type fine thread bolts. The flange bolts at the pulley are zinc silver.

Thanks Bob. My car came with a typical aftermarket aluminum fan with a spacer. I am glad to be slowly swapping out all of the parts that were changed for correct parts.
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2020, 01:35:39 AM »
Bob got the spacer/clutch one handled and there is an example in the threads I mentioned so on to the other one

No this means that the provider of the master cylinder and booster painted them together as a complete unit before they arrived at the car assembly plant ready to install Like the example below though it is for a different application. Bale on the master cylinder cap would have been closed on it also  ::)

Ah ok got it, thanks Jeff. Sorry I was referring the the other nuts & bolts that attach the booster to the firewall. I will mask off the booster and paint the rest of the assembly with the booster masked off
Mike