Author Topic: 70 Staggered shock call outs  (Read 1551 times)

Offline cobrajet_carl

70 Staggered shock call outs
« on: March 06, 2020, 11:30:43 AM »
How were the staggered rear shocks called out? I have a Dearborn M code 70 mach  4 speed with what appears to be original staggered shocks. It also has an uncommon 3.91 traction-lok. I have seen a couple of other M code 4 speeds with 3.91 axles for sale but never found out if they had staggered rear shocks. I assume mine were a factory mistake but how can I document it? Also no reinforced shock towers and the passenger shock tower has a crack.

Meant to post in 69-70 forum...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 06:22:47 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 70 Staggered shock call outs
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 05:15:00 PM »
How were the staggered rear shocks called out? I have an M code 70 mach  4 speed with what appears to be original staggered shocks. It also has an uncommon 3.91 traction-lok. I have seen a couple of other M code 4 speeds with 3.91 axles for sale but never found out if they had staggered rear shocks. I assume mine were a factory mistake but how can I document it?

Meant to post in 69-70 forum...
I am skeptical that it is factory original on a M code. Does the Marti report confirm 3.91 gears? That is unusual too. With that said It could be some kind of mistake. Can you take a picture of the added upper shock bracket on the staggered side? How it is attached will help determine if original or not. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 06:13:37 PM by J_Speegle »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 06:25:04 PM »
First I echo Bob's feelings but lets work through the question in any case if for no other reason to demonstrate the process and thought process.

Agree the first step is to find one of the original buildsheets and get a Marti report to confirm the rear gearing though (see below) it is only a small part of the picture

How were the staggered rear shocks called out? I have an M code 70 mach  4 speed with what appears to be original staggered shocks. It also has an uncommon 3.91 traction-lok. I have seen a couple of other M code 4 speeds with 3.91 axles for sale but never found out if they had staggered rear shocks. I assume mine were a factory mistake but how can I document it?

The staggered rear shocks were not related (on cars typically offered with that option) the staggered rear shock feature.

You didn't list where the car was built?  Did it come with a buck tag and if so what is stamped on it?

If after al the homework proving a factory oddity/screw up/or order change in the middle of a build is difficult. I would

1- Start by stripping as much away as possible
2- Documenting through pictures of the attachment of the panels related to the difference and all surrounding panels to rule up a clipped car
3- Collect and document the panel dates from all the rear panels
4- Have one or more disinterested third parties (hopefully with recognizable names in the hobby) view the unrestored car and ask them to write up their observations

Then your left with the choice of leaving it as is or altering what you found to what Ford intended to build.

Have been involved with dozens of these sort of issues and though interesting they can be a pain. And you have so many owners and builders that want to make their cars stand out (NOT suggesting this is the case in this discussion), create a story or somehow increase the value of the car it has case a shadow over those owners that have true mistake cars that are out there though very very rare.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 06:53:57 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline BlackMcode1970mach1

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 01:52:25 AM »
Hi ! I know a man who owned a 1970 mustang convertable and  it had staggered  rear shocks , He said  it was a factory mistake and it  was suppose to be a  big block car  and the car was a oddity. I believe he had a marti report- Sorry I cannot provide documentation or pictures. He used to go around buying up lots of mustangs and parting them out. Im not sure if he has the car yet . I know he sold all the parts he had accumulated over the years aboiut a year ago. I will try to get more imformation on it. mark

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 05:28:31 PM »
As mentioned not always a mistake. Won't go into a long description here and take away front he focus but I owned at one time a 69 351 W automatic coupe that had staggered rear shock mounts that were never used. After investigation it appears that the original order was canceled some how (would have been a one of one now a one of none) during the body and trim section of the assembly and was not assigned a VIN until later.

Used it as a learning lesson over on another site over a decade ago. Have been hesitant to post it here so far. 
Jeff Speegle

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 02:02:07 PM »
I guess I should follow up on what I concluded after cleaning and examining everything. I believe the staggered shock mount was a factory mistake that wasn't used from the factory. I found witness marks on the non-staggered shock mounting point. When I got the car it had traction bars that had shock mounts on either side of the axle so someone in the past cleverly figured out that staggered shocks could be used. It still wore the made in USA traction bars and air shocks!
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 07:42:38 PM »
I guess I should follow up on what I concluded after cleaning and examining everything. I believe the staggered shock mount was a factory mistake that wasn't used from the factory. I found witness marks on the non-staggered shock mounting point. When I got the car it had traction bars that had shock mounts on either side of the axle so someone in the past cleverly figured out that staggered shocks could be used. It still wore the made in USA traction bars and air shocks!

Don't think I mentioned it above but you could also look for witness threads in the hole meant for the screw that held the cover plate over the shock mounting hole from the top side. Had a similar example in the past where the lack of a screw ever being installed and cutting threads in the sheet metal during the investigation supported the idea/fact that the staggered shock mount had been installed but never installed in that configuration.

Need to post a thread on that car here on the site at some point. Very interesting car.
Jeff Speegle