Author Topic: 1966 fender spacers?  (Read 906 times)

Offline evantugby

1966 fender spacers?
« on: February 12, 2020, 06:18:27 PM »
Team,
Can you confirm if fender spacers were placed under the fenders in between where the bolts hold fender to engine bay?  If I remember correctly there were “shims” in between.  If so, did all mustangs have this to help line up the fenders correctly or were these only used as needed? 
1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 fender spacers?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 06:49:12 PM »
They were not typical used  IMHO. Rarely have I found a single one on an original car. Same findings through the early 70 cars. More often used by body shops during later repairs and such. Have to consider that the somewhat weak inner fender edge (bend with ease if you rest a heavy hand on them  ::) so they are not going to help allow expect for the far forward, rear or at the shock towers

Sometimes shops will use the aftermarket upper A arm shims (they look different) for this purpose also during repaints and repairs. On later cars the factory shims are shaped much differently
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 11:14:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 07:20:49 PM »
Can you confirm if fender spacers were placed under the fenders in between where the bolts hold fender to engine bay? 
They were not typical used  IMHO. Rarely have I found a single one on an original car.
A "spacer"? Yes and no. It was "disguised" as a flat washer (44725-S2, 5/16FLW, 0.365-0.385ID, 1.125OD, 0.051-0.080T). The 64-66 body assembly manuals said 5 maximum each side, for use where the fender meets the door, and fender to rocker panel. Nothing for fender to cowl.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 08:13:34 PM »
Interesting Jeff. My experience is the exact opposite. I can't recall seeing an unrestored Dearborn car that didn't have alignment shims under the front of the fender. My August 64 coupe and both June 65 cars have them , though the right one on my convertible was removed and is wedged between the grill and radiator support.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline evantugby

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 08:22:59 PM »
Gents,
I want to make sure we are talking about the same area. See the attached photo with yellow highlights as the area that I believe some shims or “washers“ were placed in between the fender bolts.

Is this the same area you are talking about? 

1966 GT, 6T09K13, Born 23 Oct 1965

There is no statue of equality in liberty harbor, there is a statue of liberty.  We are different this way.  -CK

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 08:46:12 PM »
Gents,
I want to make sure we are talking about the same area. See the attached photo with yellow highlights as the area that I believe some shims or “washers“ were placed in between the fender bolts.

Is this the same area you are talking about?
Washers placed in the area of the yellow highlights are not typical on the assemblyline. Speaking of washers 6S1732 Shelby typically would have stiffing washers welded to the upper shock beehive under where the upper shock bolts. They seem to be missing in the picture.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 10:45:39 PM »
Interesting Jeff. My experience is the exact opposite. I can't recall seeing an unrestored Dearborn car that didn't have alignment shims under the front of the fender. My August 64 coupe and both June 65 cars have them , though the right one on my convertible was removed and is wedged between the grill and radiator support.

Yes interesting. Or course we're comparing 65 verse 66 and Dearborn verses San Jose for  the OP's focus

I'm guessing (you can confirm) that your describing the shims being found only under the two front bolts at the inner fender and radiator support locations looking at the pictures I have of the cars.  Not all or any at the other locations

Three pictures from Mikes green car 

No apparent shims

One at the front bolt location

And from another 65 Dearborn example we have in the unrestored picture section. We even included a comment on them when those pictures were posted a few years back

Took a very quick peek at 66 Dearborn and found a number of cars with a shim on one side or both. Right now is appears allot more popular for cars built at Dearborn

Might be a good discussion in another thread focusing on other years and all plants

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 10:47:48 PM »
Washers placed in the area of the yellow highlights are not typical on the assemblyline. .................

+1  Not washers and not at those locations if they ever used them.

Shops have been know to use or insert cut off paint sticks also as shims  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Offline mgmradio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 11:08:59 PM »
I have never seen washers or shims at those locations, only under the front corners and they have always been alignment type shims.
Formerly the MCA ANHJ 64.5-66!

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 11:50:50 AM »
I have never seen washers or shims at those locations, only under the front corners and they have always been alignment type shims.

+1, only washers are sometimes on the farthest back fender bolts, usually some Metuchen cars.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 06:18:50 PM »
+1, only washers are sometimes on the farthest back fender bolts, usually some Metuchen cars.

Just checking - but guessing your describing what would likely be considered an "extra" larger washer between standard bolt and captured washer and the top of the fender like shown below.

65 Dearborn example - Mike's green coupe

66 NJ example

Haven't identified a pattern yet for either
Jeff Speegle

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 09:47:28 PM »
The extra washer under the bolt head but on top of the fender itself doesn't do anything for affecting spacing, IMHO.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com