Author Topic: 68 S code - 4 spd driveshaft stripes  (Read 545 times)

Offline ruppstang

68 S code - 4 spd driveshaft stripes
« on: February 01, 2020, 12:25:40 AM »
I am looking for 4 speed S code drive shaft stripes for a SJ 8-24-67 build.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 S code - 4 spd driveshaft stripes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 04:34:20 PM »
Marty it looks like

Light blue - Dark blue - Pink  according to a group 68 390 4 speed buildsheets.  Just no real real early examples such as the Aug 67 example you have but don't have any indications that they changed. 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 08:40:39 PM »
Thanks Jeff
The driveshaft was lost so I have no idea what stripes it should have. Am I correct in that the light blue was the one closest to the transmission?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 08:55:35 PM »
................Am I correct in that the light blue was the one closest to the transmission?

Normally they are listed in order from front to back but we've seen examples where it reversed. Would guess that the guy assigned to applying the stripes was not the brightest bulb or worker with allot of experience/skill so they were assigned to the task of applying the stripes
Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 12:02:32 AM »
Marty it looks like

Light blue - Dark blue - Pink  according to a group 68 390 4 speed buildsheets.  Just no real real early examples such as the Aug 67 example you have but don't have any indications that they changed.

Hi Jeff. Not sure if I should post here or in one of my threads. Should I assume per your post that the same stripes would apply to my drive shaft as well. Also where can I find a reference for the paint so I can try to match as close to correct as possible. The stripes on my drive shaft were long gone, except for the out line of where they were.

Thanks
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 05:29:59 PM »
Hi Jeff. Not sure if I should post here or in one of my threads. Should I assume per your post that the same stripes would apply to my drive shaft as well.

Yes

Also where can I find a reference for the paint so I can try to match as close to correct as possible. The stripes on my drive shaft were long gone, except for the out line of where they were.

Have you looked at the article - Paint Marks - The Basics  - in the library?  At the back I listed a fair number of typically used marking colors and a sample of each to give a general idea of what they looked like on at least one example. Looks like Dark Blue and Blue are identical in the samples so I should try and find better examples for those two when I do an update   Need more just ask
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 05:32:17 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 02:21:10 AM »
Yes

Have you looked at the article - Paint Marks - The Basics  - in the library?  At the back I listed a fair number of typically used marking colors and a sample of each to give a general idea of what they looked like on at least one example. Looks like Dark Blue and Blue are identical in the samples so I should try and find better examples for those two when I do an update   Need more just ask

Thanks Jeff I will check it out
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 02:53:54 AM »
Yes

I always forget about the library, which is unfortunate as it is such a great resource. I have now saved them all and will reference them often
Mike