Author Topic: 1970 Mustang Exhaust Welds  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Cobrajetken

1970 Mustang Exhaust Welds
« on: January 31, 2020, 11:44:44 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the correct 1970 mach 1 exhaust installation is. Where were clamps used and where were welded connection used. From photos I’ve seen it looks like muffler inlet and outlet was welded to pipes and exhaust tips were welded. Two clamps at engine pipe to exhaust pipe and clamps at rear hangers. Total four clamps used. Does this sound right? Thanks.

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1970 Mustang Exhaust Welds
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 12:42:18 PM »
Much of what you're asking about is documented in the "70 Mustang Chassis Assembly Manual" available at most Mustang parts sellers.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 07:53:59 PM »
I dont think the factory welded exhaust pipes.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 08:26:03 PM »
I dont think the factory welded exhaust pipes.
+1. Installed as a already welded together assembly.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 09:44:17 PM »
This is for your 1970 Mach 1 Mustang 351 Cleveland 4V I'm guessing

The MPCs show the service replacement pipes and layout. They can differ from assembly line parts or be very similar. As mentioned the Assembly manuals show some of the applications

The H pipe is a series of three pipes welded together (70 San Jose M code Mach I)

Close-up of connection and index notch

Below are some examples from 70 Boss 302 which would be similar to your application - except for the back end of the pipes (tips)

The H pipe attaches to (with two clamps) to the intermediate pipes with mufflers (welded to one another by the supplier), One passenger and one drivers side pipe and muffler combinations

Back surface of the muffler is welded to the tail pipes. They differ depending on the application.

Muffler hanger example (70 San Jose M code Mach I)

Rear Mount and clamp (both sides) with gas tank behind (70 San Jose M code Mach I)

Different view of the clamp style and hardware

View of the passenger side (70 San Jose M code Mach I)

From there you have the shinny exhaust tips that are added to the ends that extend through your rear valance

What apparently I don't have or can't find at the moment is a picture of the hardware, location and how the tips were attached to the tail pipe- Sorry but hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 04:03:19 PM »
You can also see the factor installation in the 65-72 Ford Car Parts (aka MPC) in this -
https://www.squarebirds.org/Manuals/1965/1965-72FordPartsTextCatalog/
Go to section 52.70 in the text section for drawings of the factory, and the service replacements.
I recommend you down load the entire MPC. It's consists of 45 fils, 430mb.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.