Author Topic: 1970 Mach 1 Drive Shaft paint markings  (Read 835 times)

Offline Cobrajetken

1970 Mach 1 Drive Shaft paint markings
« on: January 28, 2020, 09:57:21 PM »
Can anyone tell me what color stripes and order of colors was placed on factory on the driveshaft as identifying markings for a 1970 Mach 1 351 Cleveland 4V Automatic (FMX)? Thanks

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 Mach 1 Drive Shaft paint markings
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 12:43:18 AM »
Appears to be - Chartreuse - Lavender - White according to the build sheets I have copies of. There is possibly a fourth stripe at the rear end of the tube but the build sheet does not list, nor was it meant to be used for identification purposes

For extra credit :) lavender marking on the front yoke

Not unusual to find the stripe order backwards from other examples or the build sheet but believe Ford wanted the markings to read on the sheet from front to back. All of this comes from comparing a fair number of build sheets to pictures of matching combinations
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Cobrajetken

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 10:58:15 AM »
Thank you VERY MUCH Jeff. I appreciate your taking the time to research this for me. Do you happen to know where on the yoke the lavender paint was placed? Ken

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 02:07:24 PM »
A fair amount of my resources come from others sharing what they find and document on their cars. So thanks to them also

Here is what one 70 351 Mach I with FMX shared from his car. No colors but it shows the orientation of the three identification marks (about mid way on  this example)  as well as the fourth unknown colored stripe at the rear.

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)