Author Topic: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Steering Column  (Read 1060 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Steering Column
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 06:16:02 PM »
On another note look at the coverage of interior color on the floor behind the carpet. Very interesting. I did not realize that there was so much over spray on the floor area under the dash.

Don't recall what color the exterior fo that car was it could be overspray/direct application from either application. They didn't mask off the surface (floor or firewall) before applying the interior color and only the face of the dash was masked when the exterior color was applied. Could also be the results (higher or lower) of spray gun angle or how tall or old the painter was

My car seems to be a bit of an anomaly as it did not have much overspray inside the interior for the most part and minimal sound deadener and Seam sealer. Perhaps my car was built on a Friday and they just wanted to get it done quick!

Just depends on what your comparing you car too. Tons of different cars each slightly different but typically in a range between a little or allot More IMHO a result of individual workers than anything else . As far as Friday .... it's not like if they got done quicker you went home any earlier 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Steering Column
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2020, 01:50:38 AM »
Don't recall what color the exterior fo that car was it could be overspray/direct application from either application. They didn't mask off the surface (floor or firewall) before applying the interior color and only the face of the dash was masked when the exterior color was applied. Could also be the results (higher or lower) of spray gun angle or how tall or old the painter was

Just depends on what your comparing you car too. Tons of different cars each slightly different but typically in a range between a little or allot More IMHO a result of individual workers than anything else . As far as Friday .... it's not like if they got done quicker you went home any earlier

Thanks Jeff. I guess it is possible that my firewall could have been cleaned up at some point before I owned the car, but it did not have any seam sealer on the firewall typically seen. Trunk had minimal sound deadener and minimal globs of seam sealer, but original. Unfortunately all I have to go one is how I found it, so I may not have a great reference point to start from, other than the obvious clues. On areas that are non conclusive I will just have to use my best judgement based on other original examples at the same plant,  built close to the same time as reference
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 01:54:06 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968