Author Topic: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Deluxe Interior Door Paint  (Read 1784 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Deluxe Interior Door Paint
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 05:49:31 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I am hoping to be able to media blast my rear panels at very low psi. I may do the same with my doors if I can't get the grain perfectly clean.

I will have to decide if I am going to do anything with the inside of my doors. I have not cleaned them up yet, but will do so after the outside is cleaned up. FYI there is no rust inside the doors.

Also did the factory use all of that dum/dum sealer inside the door or was it done by whoever restored the car. There are literally pounds of it on the door panels.

Also it looks like the red oxide was only used on the front fender side of the door and inside the shell. I have not seen any evidence of primer on the rest of the door interior panel
I would advise against media blasting the interior panels even on low psi. Instead do as many choose to do and chemically stripe them. The use of the heavy duty easy off oven cleaner which needs to be the version with lye as a ingredient is what I and many others choose to use . You spray on and let sit for about 20-30 minutes .Scrub with stiff plastic bristle brush . Rinse with water then repeat. It may take several applications depending on how many coats.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2020, 06:19:16 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I am hoping to be able to media blast my rear panels at very low psi. I may do the same with my doors if I can't get the grain perfectly clean.

Stop. Like Bob wrote any media will reduce the grain somewhat. More aggressive or higher pressures will do something ( a little or allot) to the grain. I also would chemically strip with some light wire brush ( watch eye and skin protection) work in circular patterns for metal bases panels. Any damage using media blasting will make some to want to add primer will produce other problems.

As far as the "plastic" panels chemical stripping carefully would be my choice also. Number of threads discuss using commercial products made for this as well as lye based oven cleaners. Always test on the back side first

I will have to decide if I am going to do anything with the inside of my doors. I have not cleaned them up yet, but will do so after the outside is cleaned up. FYI there is no rust inside the doors.

Might want to kill any rust on the surface or hiding in panel joints by flushing. You can see what you have and make a choice

Also did the factory use all of that dum/dum sealer inside the door or was it done by whoever restored the car. There are literally pounds of it on the door panels.

There is normally a pass of the sound deadener wand onto the inside surface of the door skin. Not sure where you found the "dum-dum" there is the dark gray stuff on the surface of the interior side of the door that sealed the weather shield to the door you can see in your lower picture

Also it looks like the red oxide was only used on the front fender side of the door and inside the shell. I have not seen any evidence of primer on the rest of the door interior panel

Normally you will find  not real coating of the textured surfaces under the original interior color except for what appears to be overspray from doing the other surfaces
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2020, 06:27:17 PM »
Stop. Like Bob wrote any media will reduce the grain somewhat. More aggressive or higher pressures will do something ( a little or allot) to the grain. I also would chemically strip with some light wire brush ( watch eye and skin protection) work in circular patterns for metal bases panels. Any damage using media blasting will make some to want to add primer will produce other problems.

I wanted emphasize in case there was any question that Jeff is referring to wire brush on metal and stiff plastic brush on non metal interior panels.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2020, 09:12:22 PM »
I wanted emphasize in case there was any question that Jeff is referring to wire brush on metal and stiff plastic brush on non metal interior panels.

Got it. Thanks Bob
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2020, 09:19:31 PM »

As far as the "plastic" panels chemical stripping carefully would be my choice also. Number of threads discuss using commercial products made for this as well as lye based oven cleaners. Always test on the back side first

Might want to kill any rust on the surface or hiding in panel joints by flushing. You can see what you have and make a choice

There is normally a pass of the sound deadener wand onto the inside surface of the door skin. Not sure where you found the "dum-dum" there is the dark gray stuff on the surface of the interior side of the door that sealed the weather shield to the door you can see in your lower picture

Normally you will find  not real coating of the textured surfaces under the original interior color except for what appears to be overspray from doing the other surfaces

Ok thanks Jeff. I will nix the media blasting plan and try the other method recommended.

I have not seen any rust on or inside the doors, but I can dip the doors in evaporust to be sure.

The dum dum (or other butyl like substance) I am referring to is on the outer/inner door panel between the vinyl/cardboard door cover. There is a lot of it as if used to bond the outer door panel cover to the metal interior panel. You can see what I am referring to in this photo in the upper left hand corner
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:23:20 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2020, 09:21:33 PM »
that 'dum-dum' was used to install the watershields under the door panel.
5F09C331248

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2020, 09:24:00 PM »
that 'dum-dum' was used to install the watershields under the door panel.

Watershields?
Mike

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2020, 09:26:42 PM »
yes. check the assembly manual.
5F09C331248

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2020, 09:27:57 PM »
yes. check the assembly manual.

Ok will do
Mike

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2020, 09:42:38 PM »
The sealer was used liberally behind the paper, water shield

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2020, 09:46:41 PM »
The sealer was used liberally behind the paper, water shield
Got it. Thanks. Did the factory use that much? Just trying to establish if the amount that was on my door was done in the factory or after the fact for reference
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2020, 11:04:24 PM »
I would advise against media blasting the interior panels even on low psi. Instead do as many choose to do and chemically stripe them. The use of the heavy duty easy off oven cleaner which needs to be the version with lye as a ingredient is what I and many others choose to use . You spray on and let sit for about 20-30 minutes .Scrub with stiff plastic bristle brush . Rinse with water then repeat. It may take several applications depending on how many coats.

Thanks Bob just saw this now. Great advice. Good thing I have a spare set of originals to test on first
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2020, 11:18:51 PM »
Got it. Thanks. Did the factory use that much? Just trying to establish if the amount that was on my door was done in the factory or after the fact for reference

Sometimes when you remove it more comes off with the weather shield while others times more stays on the door surface so comparison is difficult

Depends on the worker that applied it to the surfaces also. enough to do the job or just plaster it everywhere. What is visible (left on door surface) does nto indicate all of the product originally used

67 San Jose examples also since they are the same/similar

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2020, 11:23:00 PM »
Sometimes when you remove it more comes off with the weather shield while others times more stays on the door surface so comparison is difficult

Depends on the worker that applied it to the surfaces also. enough to do the job or just plaster it everywhere. What is visible (left on door surface) does nto indicate all of the product originally used

67 San Jose examples also since they are the same/similar

Thanks Jeff great photos
Mike