Author Topic: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Tie Rods & Drag (Center) Link  (Read 1347 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Tie Rods & Drag (Center) Link
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 12:11:54 AM »
Thanks Jeff. Slowly but surely I am chipping away at the list. Here are the tie rods after disassembly, cleaning & media blasting. I have a couple of questions.

Since the ball joint on the tie rods do not use grease fittings, how is grease applied or are they greaseless or pre greased ball joints.

Guess the best way to refer to them is zertless factory greased. There are nylon cups inside so what I've done in the past is to push out the old grease by working in the new grease from one side sort of how you work grease into a set of bearings ( though you flush those easier) if you've done things like that in the past. Then add a little grease to the dust shield before you install it on the tie rod.  Article shows at least one picture.

Regarding finish, would it be better to use a less correct part that looks better than a correct part that does not looks as good.

If your referring to judging one can cancel out the other. Can always go with zertless reproductions and even add the stamping on the machined cap - that is covered in another thread also. 

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2293.msg11789#msg11789
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 12:14:29 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 12:23:15 AM »
Guess the best way to refer to them is zertless factory greased. There are nylon cups inside so what I've done in the past is to push out the old grease by working in the new grease from one side sort of how you work grease into a set of bearings ( though you flush those easier) if you've done things like that in the past. Then add a little grease to the dust shield before you install it on the tie rod.  Article shows at least one picture.

If your referring to judging one can cancel out the other. Can always go with zertless reproductions and even add the stamping on the machined cap - that is covered in another thread also. 

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2293.msg11789#msg11789

Great thanks Jeff appreciate it. Looks like they have lots of decent looking products that I can use. Although I have been focusing primarily on original parts, given that some of the original parts I have acquired are in such rough shape I am looking for other options and this looks like it may be a good option. Good website and good selection of parts. I take it that anything indicated concours would be an ideal original part substitution
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 10:46:34 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 04:24:05 PM »
...........Good website and good selection of parts. I take it that anything indicated concours would be an ideal original part substitution

No - would never make that assumption. They, like others, likely don't have the same level of expectation as most of us would and at times (like others) they make choices/exceptions when it comes to manufacturing between cost and exactly like original. They also (depending on what year and who is in charge) have made choices based on other demands and what the general customer wants but in the past have been willing to make allowances to provide special requests. I've worked on and off with that company for over 15 years.

Their products (tie rods and A arms come to mind) have been discussed in a number of threads and I've used them on restored cars with success as others have. If you have a particular part your looking at contact me and we can discuss the details and check on what they are currently doing.  They are only 10 mins away :)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 05:55:47 PM »
No - would never make that assumption. They, like others, likely don't have the same level of expectation as most of us would and at times (like others) they make choices/exceptions when it comes to manufacturing between cost and exactly like original. They also (depending on what year and who is in charge) have made choices based on other demands and what the general customer wants but in the past have been willing to make allowances to provide special requests. I've worked on and off with that company for over 15 years.

Their products (tie rods and A arms come to mind) have been discussed in a number of threads and I've used them on restored cars with success as others have. If you have a particular part your looking at contact me and we can discuss the details and check on what they are currently doing.  They are only 10 mins away :)

Ok great thanks Jeff I can PM you the list of parts I am considering
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968