Author Topic: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Rear Shackles  (Read 2820 times)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Rear Shackles
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 05:19:48 PM »
Flat plates for 68/69 Mustangs? Am I missing something?
Flat plate is referring to the part of the shackle that does not have any pins in it. It is used with the portion that has two pins in it.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2019, 05:22:10 PM »
Flat plate is referring to the part of the shackle that does not have any pins in it. It is used with the portion that has two pins in it.   

Not following you, not sure what you are describing
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2019, 05:23:58 PM »
Not following you, not sure what you are describing
Look at picture in reply #11.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2019, 05:25:29 PM »
Look at picture in reply #11.

I just looked at it, but I don't know what I am looking for
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2019, 05:33:33 PM »
I just looked at it, but I don't know what I am looking for
If you see the item in the picture then you see the flat plate being discussed.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2019, 05:38:28 PM »
If you see the item in the picture then you see the flat plate being discussed.

OK I think I get it now. I thought you referring to a different style plate, meaning not looking like the one I posted, that the style I posted is correct for my car, but should not be a staggered stud design.
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2019, 05:41:59 PM »
OK I think I get it now. I thought you referring to a different style plate, meaning not looking like the one I posted, that the style I posted is correct for my car, but should not be a staggered stud design.
Assemblyine for 68 was the same style just that nether side was staggered like what was used on left side of 65-67 duel exhaust Mustang.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2019, 05:45:15 PM »
Assemblyine for 68 was the same style just that nether side was staggered like what was used on left side of 65-67 duel exhaust Mustang.

Thanks got it. I have not seen any originals for sale in my travels as of yet, so for now I guess I will stick with these unless I can find some correct ones in great shape that don't cost an arm and a leg. Basically the same story with many other parts I am finding with this build. Makes me wish I was  building a Shelby for all of the effort that goes into building these cars. Perhaps that is what I will build next since I am much more knowledgable now than when I started this process a year ago
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2019, 06:11:48 PM »
Thanks got it. I have not seen any originals for sale in my travels as of yet, so for now I guess I will stick with these unless I can find some correct ones in great shape that don't cost an arm and a leg. Basically the same story with many other parts I am finding with this build. Makes me wish I was  building a Shelby for all of the effort that goes into building these cars. Perhaps that is what I will build next since I am much more knowledgable now than when I started this process a year ago
I suppose you can always add them to your parts wanted list that you started in another thread. Sometimes you can find parts that are not valued by the seller for what ever reason .Other times the seller puts time in refinishing the part or is aware of a poor survival rate or rarity of a part and expects more for the given item. It depends on what you expectations for your build, what you value your time and many times luck in finding the right parts. In this instance knowledge of the correct part favors a better chance of finding it.  It is of course all your choices.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2019, 06:13:25 PM »
I suppose you can always add them to your parts wanted list that you started in another thread. Sometimes you can find parts that are not valued by the seller for what ever reason .Other times the seller puts time in refinishing the part or is aware of a poor survival rate or rarity of a part and expects more for the given item. It depends on what you expectations for your build, what you value your time and many times luck in finding the right parts. In this instance knowledge of the correct part favors a better chance of finding it.  It is of course all your choices.

Thanks Bob. Speaking of parts. I just tried giving you a call. PM sent
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2019, 11:55:16 PM »
.................. Basically the same story with many other parts I am finding with this build. Makes me wish I was  building a Shelby for all of the effort that goes into building these cars. Perhaps that is what I will build next since I am much more knowledgable now than when I started this process a year ago

Yes but understand that then it would be in a sea of other cars and not stand out as much as your car likely will. Sometimes it better to be different Just like the guy that builds the 6 cylinder stripped down coupe. That car is more likely (once people notice the lever of commitment and dedication) get more attention and more people will be talking about the car
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2019, 12:11:52 AM »
Yes but understand that then it would be in a sea of other cars and not stand out as much as your car likely will. Sometimes it better to be different Just like the guy that builds the 6 cylinder stripped down coupe. That car is more likely (once people notice the lever of commitment and dedication) get more attention and more people will be talking about the car

Thanks Jeff I never thought about it from that perspective. It does seem that the Shelby's get all the love.

FYI I stripped the shackles and the phosphated them today, but the shackles were not responding to the phosphate what so ever at all. So looks like it is back to the drawing board. I noticed that Scott Drake has some for sale in different configurations. I think I will try a different process on these to see if I can get them to a dark natural finish. The thing I find about getting the correct finish on part takes a different approach for different types of metal. Definitely not one size fits all. A lot of trial and error and patience for us novices!
Mike

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2019, 12:29:45 AM »
FYI I stripped the shackles and the phosphated them today, but the shackles were not responding to the phosphate what so ever at all.
Quit complaining. The quality of that zinc plating penetrated well.
There are a couple of ways to get rid of the plating. Go to plating shop and have them do it. They will either give them and acid bath or reverse the plating process voltages. That can be expensive. The other option is to dip them in swimming pool acid, RINSE WELL and see. The dip timing is experimental. Or bead blast. The blasting method has worked for parts that had been zinc plated a while back.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2019, 12:58:32 AM »
Thanks Jeff I never thought about it from that perspective. It does seem that the Shelby's get all the love.

FYI I stripped the shackles and the phosphated them today, but the shackles were not responding to the phosphate what so ever at all. So looks like it is back to the drawing board. I noticed that Scott Drake has some for sale in different configurations. I think I will try a different process on these to see if I can get them to a dark natural finish. The thing I find about getting the correct finish on part takes a different approach for different types of metal. Definitely not one size fits all. A lot of trial and error and patience for us novices!
Since you are concerned about assemblyline originality it doesn't make sense to commit time and resources on the ones you picture given they are not correct for your application anyway IMO. If you cant source originals you might want to check out repro offerings of the correct style.The repros are not much of a investment.

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2019, 01:05:42 AM »
Since you are concerned about assemblyline originality it doesn't make sense to commit time and resources on the ones you picture given they are not correct for your application anyway IMO. If you cant source originals you might want to check out repro offerings of the correct style.The repros are not much of a investment.

Good point. Agreed. So far I have not seen any suitable candidates
Mike