Author Topic: Were there any `66 Mustangs with under-side of hoods painted black?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline 66SevenLitre

Fellow Ford friends ... there is a community of 7-Litre owners out there where some original cars have hoods with the under-sides painted in semi-gloss black. 

While there were 1.035M full-size Fords built in 1966, there hasn't been quite same the amount of data accumulated as you have with Mustangs.  Especially related to nuances across the different production lines and assembly plants.  Generally though it's understood that Ford would use what was "on the shelf" and keep costs minimal was the order of the day. 

As you may know, 1966 full-size Fords (7-Litres, LTDs, Galaxies, Customs & wagons) were built at the following assembly plants: 
A - Atlanta, GA 
B - Oakville, Ont. Canada
D - Dallas, TX
E - Mahwah, NJ
G - Chicago, IL
J - Los Angeles, CA
N - Norfolk, VA
P - Twin Cities, MN
U - Louisville, KY
W - Wayne, MI

My understanding is that during the build process at assembly plants, the rear clip of cars was painted on the production line.  Meanwhile, the hood, fenders and doors were painted separately and added later.  Once the rear clip was done, the line workers would add the motor and engine bay assemblies as well as the interior related stuff before the painted fenders, hoods and doors were installed.

At the same time, Ford stamped out spare body parts (fenders, hoods, etc) that were painted in red-oxide with the part numbers typically inscribed on the back.  When dealerships or paint shops needed to make body repairs after car accidents and what not, they painted the body part to match the car. 

So how would some of the hoods on these one-owner/survivor cars be painted semi-gloss black on the under-side? 

I can't see it being a factory process, no?  Also, you'd think it would be more hassle for dealerships & paint shops to mask off the hood and spray each side a different color.  Was there an edict of some sorts from Ford suggesting dealers use black under-sides to reduce engine bay temps?  Otherwise, why bother?  Was it cheaper? 

Either way, thought it would be best to check with the experts here to see if anyone has ever seen/heard of a 1966 Mustang with a black under-side hood, or any `66 Ford for that matter.  If so, can you share any history?  Otherwise, has anyone heard of similar anomolies with `66 Mustangs and understand the backstory?

Thanks for your help.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Were there any `66 Mustangs with under-side of hoods painted black?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 06:13:12 PM »
no, never heard of that.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 06:15:25 PM »
My understanding is that during the build process at assembly plants, the rear clip of cars was painted on the production line.  Meanwhile, the hood, fenders and doors were painted separately and added later.  Once the rear clip was done, the line workers would add the motor and engine bay assemblies as well as the interior related stuff before the painted fenders, hoods and doors were installed.

At the same time, Ford stamped out spare body parts (fenders, hoods, etc) that were painted in red-oxide with the part numbers typically inscribed on the back.  When dealerships or paint shops needed to make body repairs after car accidents and what not, they painted the body part to match the car. 

Just to clarify the the "steps" for others. Sheet metal parts (stamped and assembled in some cases) were stamped at plants other than the car assembly plants so often they arrived by rail car at depots and were directed to the car assembly line plant where they were off loaded or to warehouse/other depots where the service replacement parts were stored and sent out to repair shops and dealerships for repair/replacement. Sometimes damaged sheet metal was routed to the service side of the operation rather than send it to the car assembly line where it would cost time and effort to repair. Much easier to send it to the other side and have the dealerships use it or sell it at a slight discount. This according to workers that worked at one of the depots

So how would some of the hoods on these one-owner/survivor cars be painted semi-gloss black on the under-side?   

On Mustangs (not Shelbys) they would not as demonstrated in the unrestored picture threads on the site for one place. Don't know about other models but of course the cars your referring to in your original post were built on different lines and the process often was very different since they were more expensive cars and got better treatment in some areas

I can't see it being a factory process, no?  Also, you'd think it would be more hassle for dealerships & paint shops to mask off the hood and spray each side a different color.  Was there an edict of some sorts from Ford suggesting dealers use black under-sides to reduce engine bay temps?  Otherwise, why bother?  Was it cheaper? 

Saw plenty of early restorations where the undersides of the hood was painted black - just like the undercarriages. Much easier, makes the other colors and details stand out more. Sure plenty of us have stories of repair shops making choices for us and other owners believing that they were doing us a favor. Cost could be a little cheaper but it all depends on the color and the decade I would say. Chassis black (name on the paint can you purchased at the Ford dealership back in the day) was pretty cheap back in the day.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline PraireBronze

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2019, 12:06:37 PM »
I worked in the used car detailing shop at a small Ford dealership in the early 1980's.  You would probably be shocked to know how many cans of black spray paint we went through "detailing" engine compartments on used cars.  We never painted the complete underside of a hood, but I could easily see it happening.
- Tim -

1965 Prairie Bronze 2+2 (under construction)
Build Oct '64 San Jose
289 4V Automatic Transmission (A-code clone :P )
Black Std Interior
AC, PS, Style Steels, 1" Drop, Konis
Aluminized 2 1/4 Exhaust, Tri-Ys

Offline 66SevenLitre

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 09:43:08 PM »
Thank you for the replies. 

Jeff, thanks again for your terrific details.  Especially the part about "sometimes damaged sheet metal was routed to the service side of the operation rather than send it to the car assembly line where it would cost time and effort to repair. Much easier to send it to the other side and have the dealerships use it or sell it at a slight discount."  That makes total sense. 

I've also talked with another gent who's researched the Ford Archives in Dearborn and received copyright permissions on several works ... someone I'd consider a Ford "historian".  His feedback was that he never heard/saw/read any evidence of hoods having the undersides painted black at any assembly plant.   

I have one more question that's somewhat related yet separate ... as many fellow Fordsters know, the 428 was in development at about the same time as the Mercury 410 somewhere around 1963-64.  Years before (mid-1950s), Ford converged all groups responsible for mechanical design/development in the Product Engineering Office (part of Engine & Foundry Division).  End result was one organization rather than having separate duplicate teams working for each individual Division (Ford, Mercury, Truck, etc).   

My understanding is that the engine requirements from the Ford and Mercury Divisions would come to the Product Engineering Office which would tackle them in a smart, probem-solving, timely, cost-effective manner (as good engineering does).  They ended up taking a C4AE 406 block and combined with a new crank as the basis for the 428.  Then, as smart people would, they used the same crank in a 390 in order to create the 410 for Mercury.   

In relation Ford's assembly plants and production line processes, it seems there were some `66 Ford Custom's built with Mercury 410s.  Even better, they were Police Cruisers!  There's history on this.  Below is a link from Bangshift that documents a true M-code (410) `66 Ford Custom purported to be a Police Cruiser.  But no info on how many were built or where.  Either way, per Bill Carroll's book “Fooorrd V8 Performance Guide”, a Police Interceptor 410 is noted on pages 70-71.  Described are the 410 Police Interceptor connecting rods and a Police Interceptor/390 GT solid lifter camshaft, confirming engineers planned for a 410 PI.   

Would the assumption be that DEP assembled and shipped a batch of 410 Police Interceptors to a full-size Ford plant that'd install into the Customs on the line?  Or was it more feasible to do at the nearby  "Pilot Plant" at Allen Park? 

My understanding of the Pilot Plant thanks to relentless research from gents like Bob Fria is that while the former Continental Division plant was mainly focused on making pre-production cars and learning what assembly procedures/revisions were necessary, it also produced just small batches of cars.  In other words, it wasn't considered anything close to a regular production plant.  If the run of `66 Custom 410 Police Cruisers was small enough, perhaps they were made at Allen Park? 

Otherwise, you'd have to assume a plant was designated and the motors were railed over from DEP ...

As always, thanks for your input.     

https://bangshift.com/general-news/ebay-find-2/ebay-find-a-bizarre-and-wickedly-cool-1966-ford-custom-cop-car-did-the-factory-really-put-a-410ci-merc-engine-in-this-car/   

Offline 66SevenLitre

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 12:45:18 PM »
I know I turned this thread away from black hood undersides to that about Mercury 410s being installed in in '66 Ford Customs (apologies) ... but in case anyone is interested, the 1966 Full-Size Registry has listings for three of these '66 Custom M-code 410 Police Cruisers and all we're built at the Norfolk VA assembly plant. 

Guess that answers whether or not the one mentioned above was built at the Allen Park Pilot Plant (nope, Norfolk).  I take it Dearborn Engine Plant just railed a shipment of 410 motors out to Norfolk for the line to bolt in, like just any other FE.  Nonetheless, just want to close the loop.

Offline C6ZZGT

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 04:06:51 PM »

Sometimes damaged sheet metal was routed to the service side of the operation rather than send it to the car assembly line where it would cost time and effort to repair. Much easier to send it to the other side and have the dealerships use it or sell it at a slight discount. This according to workers that worked at one of the depots

Not being that old , So I was not there BUT I don`t think damaged sheet metal would have been sent to the parts depots. With that being said,  at the depot in the old days they did have body men to straighten damaged panels, Maybe even into the early 80S. Now we just make a claim for the b/S time to fix it OR for the whole panel and send it back.
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 06:42:00 PM »
Not being that old , So I was not there BUT I don`t think damaged sheet metal would have been sent to the parts depots. With that being said,  at the depot in the old days they did have body men to straighten damaged panels, Maybe even into the early 80S. Now we just make a claim for the b/S time to fix it OR for the whole panel and send it back.

Just passing on what I was told by friends that worked there during the mid-60's. Was told that they would discount those panels out to shops that wanted to save some dollars up front.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)