Author Topic: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Factory Headrests & Seat Back Insert Trim Buttons  (Read 1338 times)

Offline bullitt68

I was just reading some threads regarding factory headrests and all of the threads were older than 120 days without a post, so it suggested I make a new post. My car came with headrests when I purchased it, but it does not indicate head rests on the Marti Report. Should I assume that my car did not come with headrests.

The thread in question is this one: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19808.msg125195#msg125195

Another interesting point is that this is a survivor car it is very similar to mine in many way. Both Raven Black 68 GT San Jose cars built 513 cars apart. Both with GT equipment group, knitted vinyl seats, Clock, sport deck rear seat, console,  Stereosonic 8 track tape, AM radio, front headrests, tachometer/trip odometer, etc. My car also does not have the (Seat Back Insert Trim Buttons) on the seats, but I have been told numerous times that my car is missing the (Seat Back Insert Trim Buttons). This car also has no (Seat Back Insert Trim Buttons) on the seats either. Were they only added if it was a deluxe interior or part interior decor group.

Thanks
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
First, stop listening to the people who told you about the seat buttons.  :)

They are part of the deluxe interior package. The woodgrain dash is also part of the package.

Regarding the headrests, they were a factory option and a dealer accessory. If its not on the Ford record (Marti report) it is likely not factory installed.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 10:00:55 AM by Coralsnake »

Offline ruppstang

The head rests were a separate option, if your car had them when it was built it should be on the Marti report.

The only way you could have the seat back buttons is with a Décor interior option.   What is on your door tag for Interior Trim? If I remember correctly your car has a black interior, if it was standard black the code would be 2A, If it was a deluxe black interior it would be 6A and if it had a black confortweave interior it would be 5A.

Offline bullitt68

The head rests were a separate option, if your car had them when it was built it should be on the Marti report.

The only way you could have the seat back buttons is with a Décor interior option.   What is on your door tag for Interior Trim? If I remember correctly your car has a black interior, if it was standard black the code would be 2A, If it was a deluxe black interior it would be 6A and if it had a black confortweave interior it would be 5A.

My car came with the following: I guess the seats must have been changed at some point.

5A Black Knit Vinyl Luxury Bucket Seats

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:
- Extra Cooling Package
- GT Equipment Group
- Limited Slip Rear Axle
- Convenience Control Panel
- F70X14 Wide Oval White Sidewall Nylon Tires
- Sport Deck Rear Seat
- Console
- Power Disc Brakes
- Power Steering
- Tilt-Away Steering Wheel
- AM/8-Track Stereo Radio
- Interior Decor Group
- Tinted Glass
Mike

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
I would say they should be there. Have the seats been recovered?

Since you have the IDG, then its okay to listen to “those” people lol
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:55:08 PM by Coralsnake »

Offline bullitt68

I would say they should be there. Have the seats been recovered?

Since you have the IDG, then its okay to listen to “those” people lol

Yes they have been at some point. Clearly the other car did not have the interior decor group I assume. But odd about the headrests unless the seat frames were changed at some point. I assume it would be unlikely that the Marti Report didn't have them. I guess that it could have been a dealer installed item
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:59:20 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Just something to consider in the mix is the 68 seat problem/campaign that owners over the years often addressed by replacing seats rather than repairing them. Not saying that this is what happened for sure in your case just that it could
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

Just something to consider in the mix is the 68 seat problem/campaign that owners over the years often addressed by replacing seats rather than repairing them. Not saying that this is what happened for sure in your case just that it could

Thanks Jeff. That makes sense. I am pretty sure that my car was rodent infested judging by the headliner when I removed it as it sat in a barn for many years. I think the complete interior was changed from what I can tell other than the console and headliner. Interesting that they would have replaced the standard seats with head rest seats. The head rests do appear to be all original and not covered or damaged. Another part of the mystery is unraveled. Soon the case should be closed and all parts accounted for and replaced by correct ones.
Mike

Offline ruppstang

My car came with the following: I guess the seats must have been changed at some point.

5A Black Knit Vinyl Luxury Bucket Seats

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:
- Extra Cooling Package
- GT Equipment Group
- Limited Slip Rear Axle
- Convenience Control Panel
- F70X14 Wide Oval White Sidewall Nylon Tires
- Sport Deck Rear Seat
- Console
- Power Disc Brakes
- Power Steering
- Tilt-Away Steering Wheel
- AM/8-Track Stereo Radio
- Interior Decor Group
- Tinted Glass

If you have 5A on your door tag you have the correct comfort weave covering. With the décor interior you should also have the buttons. The headrest are not difficult to add and that is most likely how you got them.

Offline stangerdude

Bullitt68, Are the headrest dual round post(68) or single flat post(69). I had a customer years ago that was the original owner of a very nice well optioned 68 coupe and he had the dealer install the correct 68 dual post within a year of original purchase. I don't recall a correct style 68 dual post headrest accessory kit offered but maybe someone could shed some light on that.  Just curious.   Paul
68 GT Fastback San Jose built

Offline bullitt68

Bullitt68, Are the headrest dual round post(68) or single flat post(69). I had a customer years ago that was the original owner of a very nice well optioned 68 coupe and he had the dealer install the correct 68 dual post within a year of original purchase. I don't recall a correct style 68 dual post headrest accessory kit offered but maybe someone could shed some light on that.  Just curious.   Paul

Hey Dude. Merry Christmas. My car has the dual round post headrests. My car has an odd story and I don't know how true it is. I was told that the original owner added some options at the dealer when he purchased the car, including the Shelby scoops that were on the car when I purchased it. With no paperwork I assume it to be just a story.
Mike

Offline ruppstang

Since they are round at least they are correct.

Offline bullitt68

Since they are round at least they are correct.

True that. The one 2 explanations I can think of is they were dealer installed or added during the restoration. The Shelby scoops are also real and time period correct. Unfortunately there is no way to confirm if they were installed like the story goes or if it was done when  the car was restored. I am trying to get the car back to how it would have left the dealer. But if I can't substantiate the story I will go the factory route.
Mike

Offline stangerdude

Merry Christmas Happy Holidays! The story of the original owner having the dealer add them on is plausible and may be the same in your application as well. I added dual post headrest to my fastback during the restoration. I don' care if it is not "factory" correct. It's my car and when someone else's name is on the pink slip, they can make it correct as well as paint and interior and engine and and and!!! If you like them, keep em!! Safety first is to me more important than "factory correct"! As for the seat buttons, you should have them on your seats with deluxe interior. Try to find a nice original set with the correct backing plates for the correct sunk in look. The repros are very nice but a little too nice compared to originals. I find the edges are a bit to rounded compared to crisper edges on originals. Paul
68 GT Fastback San Jose built

Offline bullitt68

Merry Christmas Happy Holidays! The story of the original owner having the dealer add them on is plausible and may be the same in your application as well. I added dual post headrest to my fastback during the restoration. I don' care if it is not "factory" correct. It's my car and when someone else's name is on the pink slip, they can make it correct as well as paint and interior and engine and and and!!! If you like them, keep em!! Safety first is to me more important than "factory correct"! As for the seat buttons, you should have them on your seats with deluxe interior. Try to find a nice original set with the correct backing plates for the correct sunk in look. The repros are very nice but a little too nice compared to originals. I find the edges are a bit to rounded compared to crisper edges on originals. Paul

I am definitely keeping the head rests, not sure about the scoops yet as they are obviously not correct even if they were added at the dealer when new. Who even knows if the story is true. It is a shame that whoever reupholstered the seats didn't add the buttons, as they did a nice job on the seats. I think a lot of the of things on my car were done because they didn't know any better. Who knows, perhaps they were just given bad information. Either way they did a full restoration on the car, they just didn't go all the way and did an average restoration that most people are fine with. The car looked freshly restored, but since I like to restore cars I decided to re-restore this one. It was not my plan when I bought it however. I just bought it to drive. I guess I should have known better as I restored every other car I owned. The big difference being I never bought a restored car before and then re-restored it! Hopefully I never do that again! Anyway I am just searching for correct to parts to swap out with some parts that were wrong. Some parts seamed to be off older Fords especially on the motor, so I built a new FE for it. I am getting closer slowly but surely, once step at a time...
Mike