Author Topic: C6 trans insulator for CJ  (Read 407 times)

Offline AJ

C6 trans insulator for CJ
« on: December 18, 2019, 01:31:28 PM »
Looking for C6 trans mount insulator that is specific to 428CJ application.  Mine’s shot so am looking for NOS. 
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red

Offline RoyceP

Re: C6 trans insulator for CJ
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 02:28:41 PM »
Is there some difference for the 428CJ mount compared to a 390GT? Or an X code 390?

Looking for C6 trans mount insulator that is specific to 428CJ application.  Mine’s shot so am looking for NOS.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline AJ

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 03:48:44 PM »
Good question.  I know the insulator for the 69 C6 behind a CJ has a continuous rubber insulator block whereas most of them have two smaller rubber blocks. 

Also it only has two holes in it for the bolts that attached it to the tranny.  It does not have the additional 2 holes (oriented fore/aft) in the center of the insulator  that other types of insulators have.
Adrian Jacobs
70 Boss 302  Dearborn, 11/22/69, original calypso paint,  original family ownership.
70 GT500 , 02/26/69, a/c auto, candy red

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 05:03:34 PM »
Good question.  I know the insulator for the 69 C6 behind a CJ has a continuous rubber insulator block whereas most of them have two smaller rubber blocks. 

Also it only has two holes in it for the bolts that attached it to the tranny.  It does not have the additional 2 holes (oriented fore/aft) in the center of the insulator  that other types of insulators have.
There was a specific one used for the CJ auto +manual on the assemblyline. It is the same as a 390 assemblyline mount.It is different shape compared to the smallblock mount. With that said the typical smallblock trans mount will work in place just as good from a functional standpoint . It will not look assemblyline correct to informed eyes but functional none the less.  Many BB mounts have been replaced with the smallblock mount over the years .The smallblock mount is the one with the bulge on one side. The big block one is rectangle in shape. Think smallblock one without the bulge.  The assemblyline type has become hard to find and consequently command a higher price on the used market . Expect to pay 75.00 -250.00 for a nice used assemblyline C7 or C8 marked one . 250-350 for NOS if you can even find one. Anything less is a deal in ether category IMO. Of course there were aftermarket ones sold that have no Ford trademark but they are seldom seen and not made any more as far as I know. The used after market ones are still much higher price typically if you can find one then a smallblock mount just because the shape is correct regardless of the trademark. .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby