Author Topic: 65 rear valance install  (Read 500 times)

Offline fmr187

65 rear valance install
« on: December 12, 2019, 09:42:43 PM »
The  rear valance is attached with 11 screws and 2 bolt clips and nuts that attach to the quarter panels. The parts I have are the bolt clip and a nut. The Osborne manual only shows a nut clip and nut. When I look to order new ones the parts catalogs show a nut clip, nut and a washer.  Is the use of a washer correct?
Also is there any sealant that should be applied where the nut clip attaches to the quarter panel? There appears to be some material in the nuts that came off my car. I don't know whether it is a sealant or just dirt.
65 Convertible born in Dearborn on Feb 10

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: 65 rear valance install
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 11:32:17 PM »
I haven't seen a washer used on the lower valence corners.  The nut would normally have sealer on it, which spreads when attached to fill the hole.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline jwc66k

Re: 65 rear valance install
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 12:10:30 AM »
Is the use of a washer correct?
This is a terminology situation, the stamped nut has a flange that acts as a washer, hence "nut assembly".
(I)s there any sealant that should be applied where the nut clip attaches to the quarter panel?
The "bolt and clip assy" (Ford's description) should slide into the slot provided and the raised "clip" part hold it securely. No sealer was used.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.