Author Topic: Correct size and style loom for trunk  (Read 726 times)

Offline orlandod

Correct size and style loom for trunk
« on: November 29, 2019, 05:09:26 PM »
1969 Mach 1, 351w, San Jose. Looking to replace the wire loom in the trunk and three self-wrapping looms are offered. Black Coated Fabric, Tightly Woven, and Loose Woven. I am think 1/4" for the section that goes over the wheel well on the drivers side since there are 4 wires and 3/8" along the trunk to the other side since there are 7 wires. Can anyone comment on the type of loom that would best replicate what was used originally? Thanks
1969 Mach 1
San Jose
351W-4V
Built 03/24/69
3.00/FMX

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Correct size and style loom for trunk
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 05:22:34 PM »
1969 Mach 1, 351w, San Jose. Looking to replace the wire loom in the trunk and three self-wrapping looms are offered. Black Coated Fabric, Tightly Woven, and Loose Woven. I am think 1/4" for the section that goes over the wheel well on the drivers side since there are 4 wires and 3/8" along the trunk to the other side since there are 7 wires. Can anyone comment on the type of loom that would best replicate what was used originally? Thanks
From the factory the weave was a dark drab green color and khaki colored fibers and paper threads. They some times fade and loosen with age. Repros are typically made with black thread.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline rockhouse66

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 05:55:30 PM »
If you google "rhode island" you will uncover many threads on this topic.
Jim
'66 GT FB

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 06:18:40 PM »
Think you will find that in 69 the there were a few different patterns found used in the outer loom and they differed slightly depending on the sub contractor that was making them . I've typically found 69 San Jose looms to be a bit more mono tone that other years and have posted below a few examples below but when your car was built may give us more to work with as the supplier may have changes or more from one might be more plentiful during certain months. Of course if yours is still there you can do your own research and just copy that after documenting it. Looms is woven loss enough to see the colors of the wire below. 

As  rockhouse66 wrote, do a search and find rode island contact info (most recently was done by Bill in the 67 section). They will allow you to choose the make up of the outer jacket for a cost and is likely your best option for recovering your original loom

In this example a lighter tan thread was intergrated into the pattern Car was likely an Oct 68 built car.  A bit dirty in areas

And another with the lighter thread - from a Nov 68 built car

Late Jan 1969 Example

April 69 built car below

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 06:51:33 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 06:29:41 PM »
Think you will find that in 69 the there were a few different patterns found used in the outer loom and they differed slightly depending on the sub contractor that was making them . I've typically found 69 San Jose looms to be a bit more mono tone that other years and have posted below a nice example below. Looms is woven loss enough to see the colors of the wire below.  Basically this one was a combination of grays and blacks. As  rockhouse66 wrote, do a search and find rode island contact info (most recently was done by Bill in the 67 section). They will allow you to choose the make up of the outer jacket for a cost and is likely your best option for recovering your original loom

Jeff, which plant is the picture that you posted from? Maybe my monitor but I see the drab green and khaki thread that is typically found when looking in person in the picture posted.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 06:35:26 PM »
Jeff, which plant is the picture that you posted from? Maybe my monitor but I see the drab green and khaki thread that is typically found when looking in person in the picture posted.

San Jose like the OP asked about. Have added additional examples from other San Jose cars to my post above. Might have a 69 SJ taillight loom out in the garage I can pull out also but the OP may have his original that is in better condition somewhere along the long loom in the trunk that he can clean and examine and match from there.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)