Author Topic: Are these good interior quarter panels? they claim to be concours  (Read 1321 times)

Offline palacekeeper

I've been doing some research on fixing up some cosmetic damage on various interior parts (have another thread going on kick panels) and was looking for concours correct interior quarter panels. Can anyone verify that these are actually concours to replace my original charcoal quarter panels (I would keep the originals)?

these would be for a 1970 Mach 1

https://www.kentuckymustang.com/product-p/2821.htm

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:47:53 PM by J_Speegle »
1970 Mustang Mach 1, Grabber Blue
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen
Build Date: December 19, 1969
Dealer: 21A461 Whaley-Dailey Ford Sales, Conyers, GA

Offline 7Lscjracer

Re: are these good interior quarter panels? they claim to be concours
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 10:44:15 PM »
Zooming in on the pic, they look like they're made from ABS just like others I've seen, some of which include moulded speaker mounts for restomods.
I'm not aware of any repros made from some sort of fiberglass like the originals were, but that's not necessarily a bad thing considering how poorly originals stood up on fold down seat cars.
Good thing you have a 70, because repro parts are typically based on the last iteration of service parts rather than assembly line parts with the exception of a few niche vendors in the marketplace.
Here's some good info regarding the differences in the panels:
http://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/5/1/2/35122002/quarter_trim_panels_v1.1.pdf
69 Mach 1 San Jose Nov. 68 build
Bought May '81, sold Sept '20

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 02:01:31 AM »
If they are made like other years the gain may look different from the originals
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobrajet_carl

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 12:15:51 PM »
Zooming in on the pic, they look like they're made from ABS just like others I've seen, some of which include moulded speaker mounts for restomods.
I'm not aware of any repros made from some sort of fiberglass like the originals were, but that's not necessarily a bad thing considering how poorly originals stood up on fold down seat cars.
Good thing you have a 70, because repro parts are typically based on the last iteration of service parts rather than assembly line parts with the exception of a few niche vendors in the marketplace.
Here's some good info regarding the differences in the panels:
http://anghelrestorations.com/uploads/3/5/1/2/35122002/quarter_trim_panels_v1.1.pdf
Interesting that in the article he states that 69-70 Shelbys only had black or white interiors. I had a 70 GT350 sportsroof  that had a 3D dark red interior. There were in fact 50 sportsroofs 26 convertibles with red interiors.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 03:21:41 PM by cobrajet_carl »
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 04:13:18 PM »
I've got a friend here in the metro Detroit area that specializes in repair of these sort of panels (and your kick panels also).  PM me if you are interested.  If you are going to the Columbus Ohio swap meet on Nov 30 you can drop them off and save shipping in at least one direction.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 02:26:09 PM »
I found a few other places where the Dynacorn was for sale, and those don't specify concours. Also, some of them do specify plastic or ABS, it appears. So, it seems like it's not what I was hoping it was. In any case, mine just have a few scratches and nothing too major, so repairing them is probably a better idea.

67GTA289 - I don't live in that area. I'm on the East coast in Maryland, but I appreciate the offer!

On the other thread I started about the kick panels, it was suggested to try Black WOW and Black WOW Precleaner. I'm wondering if those might also work on the interior quarter panels? Not sure though, since they are apparently fiberglass.

Any thoughts on that?

thx
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2019, 04:43:35 PM »
I found a few other places where the Dynacorn was for sale, and those don't specify concours. .................

Please, please, please don't take the wording in an advertisement "concours" to really mean anything. Sort of like the advertisements with "all natural",  "doctor approved"  in other situations  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 05:31:13 PM »
Thanks Jeff - this is exactly why I started this thread. I was skeptical, especially since I heard that the interior quarter panels are super hard to come by and that there are not many good repros!

much appreciated
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen