Author Topic: Spring in 70 emissions gas filler neck  (Read 724 times)

Offline RocketScientist

Spring in 70 emissions gas filler neck
« on: November 10, 2019, 09:57:52 PM »
My emissions gas filler neck has a giant spring in it and it runs the whole internal length of the neck and spirals to a point at the opening inside the gas tank. To me it looks to be an anti-splash device to reduce the gas from splashing back out of the neck. I have never seen it in pics of filler necks and I was wondering if it was meant to be an original part.
Brad

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Spring in 70 emissions gas filler neck
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 11:12:16 PM »
Not certain if it was original but doubt it. Instead these were very popular to keep people from siphoning fuel during the "Gas Shortage years.

Just have to use a small hose or push it into the tank  ::)  I under stand if your doing that sort of thing though it can get stuck (outer ring of the spring and the edge of the gas tank fuller neck) I understand 

Might be one of these stretched out but will look through pictures to see if I can find anything there showing one
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 01:02:11 AM »
Not certain if it was original but doubt it. Instead these were very popular to keep people from siphoning fuel during the "Gas Shortage years.

Just have to use a small hose or push it into the tank  ::)  I under stand if your doing that sort of thing though it can get stuck (outer ring of the spring and the edge of the gas tank fuller neck) I understand 

Might be one of these stretched out but will look through pictures to see if I can find anything there showing one
+1
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bgp429

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 11:44:41 AM »
Just looked at my 70 California emissions Boss with a borescope. Nothing in the filler neck.

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 08:21:24 PM »
Thanks everyone and i'll remove it and put it on the shelf and it can be an automotive curiosity! ;D

Offline ExportMach

Check out the Dec 2019 Mustang Monthly
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 01:23:26 PM »
There is a lengthy article by Mr Anghel with loads of pictures about the 1970 CA emissions system !!
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline RocketScientist

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 08:23:20 PM »
That's what got me thinking that something wasn't right.  It seems my car has not enough of the right parts and too much of the wrong parts. ;D ;D