Author Topic: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Seam Sealer & Primer  (Read 500 times)

Offline bullitt68

1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Seam Sealer & Primer
« on: November 05, 2019, 11:04:59 PM »
Well I am getting close to being ready to paint the primer and red oxide inside and under the car. My painter has laid out the seam sealer area as per the photo. Just curious if there are any flags or anything I need to know. Once the seam sealer is applied I am going to use another product as sound deadener which will be applied as per the original photos I took. That product will be black and should blend well with the black over spray from the exterior color on top of the red oxide.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 11:09:01 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Seam Sealer & Primer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 05:06:51 PM »
- Just to be clear the interior of the trunk would not get overspray but a nice (well that was the plan) full coat of exterior body color. Yes it would thin out to nothing on the undersides of the rear window to trunk panel, forward areas of each quarter panel and in the upper corners where the end caps attach

- Guess your going to apply the sealer in multiple coats - using the tape to build up the center of the areas, then remove the tap and finish with a final pass to eliminate the "tapped edge look"

- Typically the sealer did not go up and over the L shaped curved panels that attached the wheel well to the trap door surround. If you have pictures of your original car being that way that's fine to reproduce just don't want others to think that is normal for this year and plant.

- Can't see all of the seams and your tapped areas in a single picture. Did want to mentioned also that typically the seat riser seams (front and rear edges) were not typically sealed but left without sealant of any kind. Just the inner and outer ends/edges
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 06:28:38 PM »
- Just to be clear the interior of the trunk would not get overspray but a nice (well that was the plan) full coat of exterior body color. Yes it would thin out to nothing on the undersides of the rear window to trunk panel, forward areas of each quarter panel and in the upper corners where the end caps attach

- Guess your going to apply the sealer in multiple coats - using the tape to build up the center of the areas, then remove the tap and finish with a final pass to eliminate the "tapped edge look"

- Typically the sealer did not go up and over the L shaped curved panels that attached the wheel well to the trap door surround. If you have pictures of your original car being that way that's fine to reproduce just don't want others to think that is normal for this year and plant.

- Can't see all of the seams and your tapped areas in a single picture. Did want to mentioned also that typically the seat riser seams (front and rear edges) were not typically sealed but left without sealant of any kind. Just the inner and outer ends/edges

Thank Jeff that is all really helpful information. It will be interesting to see if I can figure out how to duplicate the jet nozzle effect for some of the sealer undercoating. It looked on my car like it was sprayed out of a hose, like filling foam insulation in a house for lack of a better term. I have all of the before photos from my car and will try to duplicate them the best I can. Not sure of anyone else has any techniques they would be willing to share. I have only really seen original cars, so I have virtually no restored car reference to see what is currently acceptable to being done by others.
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 06:34:26 PM »
Suppose you have already read the threads I posted about using the Sludge product and the article in the Library. Others used the product and some of the same techniques and reported back being happy with the process.
Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 06:38:27 PM »
Suppose you have already read the threads I posted about using the Sludge product and the article in the Library. Others used the product and some of the same techniques and reported back being happy with the process.

Hi Jeff I have not checked out the Sludge product yet but will do a search and have a look. Thanks for the info
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 07:06:30 PM »
Article Title- Sound Deadener and Seam Sealer- Reproducing/Repairing

Threads
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15.0

Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 07:34:38 PM »
Article Title- Sound Deadener and Seam Sealer- Reproducing/Repairing

Threads
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=15.0

Thanks Jeff
Mike