Author Topic: New trunk mats for 70 Mach?  (Read 1018 times)

Offline palacekeeper

New trunk mats for 70 Mach?
« on: November 01, 2019, 12:11:09 PM »
I finally got the water leak in my '70 Mach 1 fixed, and so I added a trunk mat/kit to dress it up. The kit I got from CJP is fine for now, but I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get the most accurate repro for the mat, tire cover, etc.? In looking around, it looks to me like maybe ACC carpets is the best, but I wanted to see if anyone had any insights or suggestions. Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 02:09:52 PM by J_Speegle »
1970 Mustang Mach 1, Grabber Blue
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen
Build Date: December 19, 1969
Dealer: 21A461 Whaley-Dailey Ford Sales, Conyers, GA

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: new trunk mats?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 07:44:56 PM »
I finally got the water leak in my '70 Mach 1 fixed, and so I added a trunk mat/kit to dress it up. The kit I got from CJP is fine for now, but I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can get the most accurate repro for the mat, tire cover, etc.? In looking around, it looks to me like maybe ACC carpets is the best, but I wanted to see if anyone had any insights or suggestions. Thanks!
A 70 Mach did not come with a tire cover from the factory. I think you will find that it is a invented after market part. That is the first thing . Yes I think the ACC carpets made mats look respectable. I would substitute NPD or Viginia Classic Mustang in place of CJP for future buying . They may not be as cheap in price but you will end up typically with a better product. Between those two you will  find what ever you may need on the repro market for 65-70 Mustang.  I don't know how many times I have found issue with products CJP sell. I don't begrudge them creating business by advertising extensively and many times with the cheapest prices which ends up typically being cheapest grade parts to the Mustang community. That is business trying to make a buck.  It is just the problems it causes me when I point out a inferior part or product to someone on the judges field or when helping someone with the restoration of their car and invariably when there is a problem issue the vast majority of the time the CJP name comes up. FYI I don't have any affiliation with NPD or Virginia it is just that I can count on the products they handle of being superior if I am unfamiliar with the product. Just my opinion others may have different.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 08:11:51 PM »
+1 on Va mustang and NPD. no need to mess with anyone else.
5F09C331248

Offline palacekeeper

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 09:06:59 PM »
Agreed on those points. Generally, I try to buy from NPD and West Coast Cougar when possible. It may have been lost in my initial message, but this was just temporary, and my longer term goal was to find something more accurate and better quality. In this case, I used up some old gift certificates. All that being said, is there a specific mat and/or set from NPD that is considered to be the closest to original? That is what I'm shooting for. Thanks!
1970 Mustang Mach 1, Grabber Blue
351C 4V M-code, Non A/C
Built at Metuchen
Build Date: December 19, 1969
Dealer: 21A461 Whaley-Dailey Ford Sales, Conyers, GA