Author Topic: Sound deadener inside the trunk? 68 NJ  (Read 1117 times)

Offline mungus

Sound deadener inside the trunk? 68 NJ
« on: October 20, 2019, 08:35:18 AM »
One side of my 68’ GT fastback’s, trunk interior has sound deadener sprayed on it, from the side reflector indent forward.
But the other side doesn’t...
So was sound deadener commonplace from the factory? Or was it a dealer option?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:32:52 PM by J_Speegle »
March 14th 1968 - Metuchen S code Fastback
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline ruppstang

Re: Sound deadened inside the trunk?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 10:19:27 AM »
Typically it is on both sides. It could be a factory mistake or a possible quarter replacement or repair.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Sound deadener inside the trunk? 68 NJ
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 04:35:12 PM »
Would have been applied both sides at the factory and if missed an inspector would have noticed and had it done

Agree with Marty that you might want to see if its been removed or repair has been done to the panel in question.  Might want to look at other clues like seam sealers (done about the same time) also since there is likely something the car is trying to tell you :)

If you provide a month when the car was built or a VIN range we can post examples of what was typically applied
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mungus

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 04:47:55 PM »
Thanks Jeff,

Photos would be great and much appreciated.

I think that info is in my signature, but in case it’s not showing up, it’s build was in early March 1968 in Metuchen.
Yes I think the other rear quarter looks to have been replaced. It’s also missing internal sealer on that side.
Partly I wanted to check if they all got it, in case it was just something added at the dealership etc.

I have bought a can of deadener with an applicator said to replicate that wavey look the old stuff has.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:50:39 PM by mungus »
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 02:38:18 AM »
I think that info is in my signature, but in case it’s not showing up, it’s build was in early March 1968 in Metuchen.
Yes I think the other rear quarter looks to have been replaced. It’s also missing internal sealer on that side.
Partly I wanted to check if they all got it, in case it was just something added at the dealership etc.

Sorry I missed (didn't look  :(  my mistake

I have bought a can of deadener with an applicator said to replicate that wavey look the old stuff has.

Good luck with that. Not going to be easy for a can to produce the wide heavy pattern the original wands/guns applied and with the newer stuff they tend to break down earlier passes with the product so you don't get a good build up if you try allot of multiple passes

Not allot of non- rusty examples out there but here are some examples. Even if no fastbacks they still show direction of travel, amount, area of coverage (staying away from edges of the panels and such) and other details you should consider when reproducing the "look"

Like  some other details it doesn't appear everyone was applying (shift or one worker) was putting out allot of effort to cover much but it is what it is.

Often we can find what looks to be a very heavy narrow part of a pass that stands out and the pattern (unlike other plants) appears to be a much or circular application as shown in some of the following. These are from your cars time period and just before and after to provide the number of examples shown

Hope this helps

First is a somewhat odd - nice straight single pass that stands out when you see the others

More typical - with a somewhat every ending pattern horizontally

Large application and highlights to point out the larger area. May be the same worker as below given the pattern

The circular look - never ending pattern application. Must have been one of the three that really liked this method or just found it easier

Jeff Speegle

Offline mungus

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 08:09:41 PM »
Thanks Jeff, as you say, some variety there...
I'll give it my best shot, just trying to match the side that still has it.
The stuff I've bought is a kit with a compressed air type of applicator fitting / tube, and a replaceable can of deadener.
The supplier (who sells products for Australian FORD muscle cars of the late 60's and the 1970's), claims it can replicate the OEM wavey appearance, whereas the rattle cans cannot.

We'll see.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 03:59:26 PM by mungus »

Offline dmmarto

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »
These pictures are helpful thanks!  I also have a 68 NJ Convertible, built 12/04/67.  Does anyone have pictures of the seam sealer inside the trunk area below the tail lights and around wheels?

Thanks! 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2019, 02:09:01 PM »
These pictures are helpful thanks!  I also have a 68 NJ Convertible, built 12/04/67.  Does anyone have pictures of the seam sealer inside the trunk area below the tail lights and around wheels?

Looks like at least one shift was applying the sealants - especially at the lower taillight panel - a bit neater than during other production periods and or shifts. Nice smooth small bead rather than the 2-4" side sprayed. Instead just run out of the end of an applicator unspread like product in other seams on the same car. Maybe lower gun pressure or the product, cooler days or the product was ticker 

Hope this helps

Jeff Speegle

Offline dmmarto

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 03:28:58 PM »
J_Speegle  THANKS!