Author Topic: 70 Cleveland Engine Paint Detail Question?  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Blown351stang

70 Cleveland Engine Paint Detail Question?
« on: October 05, 2019, 12:30:04 AM »
I will be putting my 11/26/69 Mach1 cleveland back together soon and I am hoping someone can help with some information
on engine painting details.

Was the exhaust manifolds & manual bellhousing on the engine when it was getting painted or they were fitted after painted?
I have read that 428 had bellhousings on when painted.

What was the engine lifting hooks. Painted or are they bare metal?

With the A/C compressor bracket to the cylinder head was it just black or engine blue?
My one was painted blue but it doesn't look right.

Was the distributor hold down clamp painted engine color?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 70 Cleveland Engine Paint Detail Question?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 05:37:43 AM »
Will double check with the factory list but believe the following is correct.

Do have an engine being painted but it is likely a 71 example

Was the exhaust manifolds & manual bellhousing on the engine when it was getting painted or they were fitted after painted?
I have read that 428 had bellhousings on when painted.

Exhaust manifolds were attached to the engine.  Guess your asking for a manual transmission application

What was the engine lifting hooks. Painted or are they bare metal?

Painted by the supplier so often a different tone or slightly different color than the block

With the A/C compressor bracket to the cylinder head was it just black or engine blue?
My one was painted blue but it doesn't look right.

The large cast bracket that is under the compressor? Like earlier years its not painted but a dark ( likely phosphated before machining) finish

Was the distributor hold down clamp painted engine color?

No though allot of rebuilders and owners painted them with the engine paint
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 09:48:21 PM »

Guess your asking for a manual transmission application

Yes for a manual transmission.

The large cast bracket that is under the compressor?

That's the one cast bracket.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 10:10:54 PM »
Yes for a manual transmission.

Could not find any pictures of notes of any engine paint found on manual bell housings at the Cleveland engines in 70. Boss 302 notes as to factory painting does mention that slight overspray is allowable on the bell housing. On other lines of the same document that no paint should be allowed on flywheel mating surface, clutch assy, transmission mating surface. Will note that some of the language apparently was not taken literally since one of the notes was not followed for 100% of the surface (rear engine plant)

FE's would have been built at different factories so they had different practices in some things

That's the one cast bracket.

Reply #2 will provide a picture of the finish I tried to describe above. Hope it helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline ExportMach

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 01:22:58 PM »
Blown351
Suggest starting with the MCA '69-'70 concours trailer/driven rules pg. 6-10 as a starting point.

Sample:

E. Alternator and Starter:
Alternator: Natural cast aluminum finish.
Alternator Fan, Pulley, Lock Washer and Nut: Zinc dichromate finish.
Alternator Spacer: 302: Gold or silver finish; 351C: Silver finish; 390-428: Pink finish.
Alternator Bracket & Adjusting Arm: Semi-gloss black.
Starter: Semi-gloss black ... 2
Workmanship, condition and cleanliness ......................................................................................... 2
F. Air Cleaner and Attaching Parts: Proper type for model, painted correct Ford Corporate blue with proper air cleaner decal ... 4
Workmanship, condition and cleanliness ......................................................................................... 2
G. Engine Components to be Painted:
Ford Corporate Blue Components: Engine block, head/heads, intake manifold, carburetor plate (may be natural), valve covers and oil dipstick handle (except 428 & vehicles with dress-up kits), thermostat housing, bypass hose and clamps, water pump assembly, timing cover, oil pan, oil dipstick tube.
428:Typically has windage tray.
Semi-Gloss Black Components: Fan, fan pulley, crankshaft pulley, harmonic balancer.
428 Typically has fan with clutch except:
- 69 W-code SCJ: Typically has 6 Blade Fan w/o Clutch
- 70 CJ & SCJ w/o AC: 7 Blade Flex w/o Clutch
- 70 SCJ Exception: May have 6 Blade Fan w/o Clutch
428 Harmonic Balancer: CJ 30° BTC; SCJ 46° BTC & 2x thicker.
Semi-Gloss Black or Natural Components: Engine mount brackets ........................................... 6
Workmanship, condition and cleanliness ......................................................................................... 6
H. Engine Components to be Natural: Bell housing, accelerator linkage, distributor hold-down bracket, and automatic transmission dipstick handle.
428:
- Heater hose fitting on water pump
- Kick Down Rod: 69 natural silver, 70 gold anodized
Valve Covers: 69 - 390 chrome or painted block color.
428:
- 69 Before 2/14/69: Chrome stamped steel
- 69 After 2/14/69 & 70: Finned aluminum with or w/o (snake) lettering. ........................................ 5
Workmanship, condition and cleanliness ......................................................................................... 5
Mark C
Ford T5 registrar www.FordT5.com
MCA certified judge - '69-'70 concours
1970 Mach 1 T-5; bucked Mar 1970
0F05H172XXX; 63C, 6, 3A, 91, 6, 1

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 03:55:40 PM »
Thanks Mark

For this application it might help the OP if we remove all the none Cleveland details since allot of what they have in the rules is focused on FE based engines

E. Alternator and Starter:
Alternator: Natural cast aluminum finish.
Alternator Fan, Pulley, Lock Washer and Nut: Zinc dichromate finish.
Alternator Spacer: 351C: Silver finish;
Alternator Bracket & Adjusting Arm: Semi-gloss black.
Starter: Semi-gloss black

F. Air Cleaner and Attaching Parts: Proper type for model, painted correct Ford Corporate blue (My note: hardware and valve on snorkel not painted) 

G. Engine Components to be Painted:
Ford Corporate Blue Components: Engine block, head/heads, intake manifold, carburetor plate (may be natural), valve covers and oil dipstick handle, thermostat housing, bypass hose and clamps, water pump assembly, timing cover, oil pan, oil dipstick tube.

Semi-Gloss Black Components: Fan, fan pulley, crankshaft pulley, harmonic balancer.

Semi-Gloss Black or Natural Components: Engine mount brackets

H. Engine Components to be Natural: Bell housing, accelerator linkage, distributor hold-down bracket, and automatic transmission dipstick handle.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sure we can or could expound on this in allot more detail if that would help members.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 01:09:35 AM »
Thanks for your help Mark and Jeff. :)

What about the steal plate between the block & bellhousing painted or natural?

Not that easy finding US cleveland information compared to the Aussie cleveland we had them for so long.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 02:10:00 AM »

What about the steal plate between the block & bell housing painted or natural?

Don't have a specific example but engines such as Boss 302s 351W and other small blocks had them attached to the engine when the engines were painted (flywheels attached at the time so they needed to be in place)  Like those this would produce on a bare steel plate, engine paint along the top and side edges, paint on the bottom forward facing surface that would have taken place when they painted the oil pan directly in front and the rear edges of the block.  Typically they would leave the area where the started was going to be attached bare (faded or masked off with something - depending on year and application - most of the time faded) to guarantee a decent grounding for the starter and its operation

Here is an example from a 69 built at the Cleveland plant. Some of the paint has been removed or scrubbed away but you get the idea

Jeff Speegle

Offline Blown351stang

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 06:43:57 AM »
Am I reading the date right on my plate between the bellhousing & block as 10/13/69 2 (Month,Day,Year,Shift)?

The A/C compressors bracket is a light grey under the paint I removed.

Does anyone know the color of the A/C belt adjusting pulley bracket and the belt idler bearing bracket are they painted black?

Are the exhaust heat risers painted engine color from the factory?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2019, 03:29:07 PM »
Am I reading the date right on my plate between the bellhousing & block as 10/13/69 2 (Month,Day,Year,Shift)?

Yes

Does anyone know the color of the A/C belt adjusting pulley bracket and the belt idler bearing bracket are they painted black?

No as discussed in other threads

From a thread a couple of weeks ago. This happens to be a 69 FE system

Would have been painted by the supplier like the air cleaner, snorkel and so on with the "same" color as the engine though it may have been off slightly (not normally enough to catch the eye) since it was painted with other equipment, other conditions and possibly different product
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 08:29:12 PM »

Compressor bracket is bare metal /PO . The adjustable idler bracket was PO and the pulley was painted black . The center cap of the pulley is PO.The heat shield was painted engine blue although not always matching the engine block given it was painted at a different time at a different place and with a different batch of paint.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby