Author Topic: 1970 NJ Mach I Engine Date and Stampings Question From New Member  (Read 843 times)

Offline BlockadeRunner91

• Carson
1970 NJ Mach I Engine Date and Stampings Question From New Member
« on: September 03, 2019, 01:32:17 PM »
Hello guys, this is my first post just joined the site yesterday. Bought a medium red 70 M code 4 speed shaker car a couple years ago and I’ve noticed a partial vin or possibly another number of some type in 3 different places on my engine easily visible with the hood up. So...just got back from displaying my car at the grand national in Fredericksburg. What a trip! BUT..not a single judge I spoke to (3) had a clue about these numbers. I have attached photos. The intake, heads and block are dated 0A8. January 8, 1970. I have the original invoice and a Marti and the car rolled out on Jan 23. I have been unable to find a partial VIN on the back of the driver side of the block or the passenger side anywhere. When repainting the motor I noticed the number 17439 is gang stamped into the front of both heads and the block at the edge of the water pump. This seems to be inconsistent with other VIN stampings in Cleveland’s. There’s no year or plant letter (0T) preceding the numerical stamping. I have spoken to the man who bought the car from the original owner back in 1982 for $950 bucks. He swears it’s a completely numbers matching car...but we know how that goes. I might find out something that I don’t want to know 🙄 I am hoping that some of the top brass on the site can help me out. Take a look at the pics and see what ya think..VIN is 0T05M152948

There’s also another number that nobody seems to recognize. 0A13J is present on the front edge of the timing chain housing at the bottom passenger corner where the oil pan meets the crank seal. Last picture shows this. Looks like a machine shop etched 040 in the same area during the rebuild. 0A13J looks like some kind of factory stamping. Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:00:09 PM by J_Speegle »
70 Mach 1 M code 4 speed - T code red, shaker, trac lok, PS, PB, sport slats, wing, tach..

Metuchen built in January

Offline BlockadeRunner91

• Carson
Didn’t attach photo of number in engine so here it is..and a pic of the car
70 Mach 1 M code 4 speed - T code red, shaker, trac lok, PS, PB, sport slats, wing, tach..

Offline BlockadeRunner91

• Carson
Marti and invoice..I promise I’ll get it all posted right the first time next time lol 😂

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
1970 NJ Mach I Engine Date and Stampings Question From New Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 04:58:22 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the support and information provided here helpful in your concours related efforts.

To your questions in no particular order

1- The stamped numbers that match on your heads and block are most likely rebuilders markings that tie the engine to a work order. Ford engine VINs were not stamped using a gang stamp

2- Given the location of the 0A13J its likely that that is the base engines assembly date with assembler's initial.

3- Interesting and unusual IMHO that the intake, heads and block were all cast on the same day. Don't recall every seeing that happen.

4- "Matching numbers" is a very deep subject and the term can be used to describe any different things and situations. There, at the moment, no standard definition in the hobby that I'm aware of that everyone accepts and goes by.

5- Have you looked and inspected this surface of the engine block?

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline BlockadeRunner91

• Carson
Re: 1970 NJ Mach I Engine Date and Stampings Question From New Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 05:56:07 PM »
Yes, I have looked there long and hard and seems to be no trace of a number there. I have not attempted to strip the engine to bare metal in that area to be certain there is no number present. Unless there is just a ton of paint covering it which is unlikely because all other markings on the engine are very crisp and clear. Ive heard EVERY Cleveland was stamped there in 70. Given the dates you have seen and info I have provided how likely would you say it is that this is the original engine to the car? IMHO, it seems highly unlikely that if the engine was replaced or swapped at some point with a donor motor from another M code car that it turned out to be a first half of January engine. What are the chances of that?? Is it safe to go by the casting dates without a concrete documented VIN showing?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 06:23:40 PM »
Yes the engine should have been marked/stamped as well as the transmission - something that became standard (Federal requirement) in 1968. NJ is know for bein gthe most inconsistent as to location so it may still be hidding some place as workers used the rear of the intake or heads in earlier years.

Lacking being able to find the VIN and something that always IMHO should be used, is the date codes that make up the configuration. You may want to also check out many of the other date codes (dist, carb, water pump (think it has one that year), exhaust manifolds, and others as they all should build towards a stronger case and claim that the engine is original to the car. Your only providing the facts and findings - others will make their own conclusion
Jeff Speegle

Offline BlockadeRunner91

• Carson
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »
Thanks Jeff. I guess I’ll have to do a little sandin’ at the top edge of the block and see what I can find!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 09:54:51 PM »
While your at it take a look at the back edge or area of the intake - you never know with NJ cars
Jeff Speegle