Author Topic: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Blue Paint under Red Oxide Primer  (Read 2729 times)

Offline bullitt68

I have decided to strip my car to bare metal by hand and I am coming across more of the blue paint under all of the red oxide primer all over the car. My paint guy thinks it may have been a factory sealer or primer. I am looking to confirm so I can duplicate the original factory process. Is this blue paint a typical factory practice or is there another explanation.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:47:29 PM by J_Speegle »
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline bullitt68

Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Blue Paint under Red Oxide Primer
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 04:07:20 AM »
More photos showing the blue mystery paint
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 06:02:50 PM by J_Speegle »
Mike

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 05:53:05 AM »
The color looks to be one of the Rainbow of Colors colors (various names given).
What DSO number is on the data plate, is the data plate there or original? Since your signature states Raven Black, can we assume Ford painted it such or is it a repaint?

DSO may reflect perhaps an internal use of sorts that may not have followed typical assembly line practices is why I ask.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 06:02:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1968 San Jose GT 390 Fastback Blue Primer under Red Oxide Primer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 09:28:38 AM »
I see the steering gear hardware with the blue paint on it. That tells me that the blue was not a sealer or primer, that hardware was put on the car long after primer.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 09:55:39 AM »
I see the steering gear hardware with the blue paint on it. That tells me that the blue was not a sealer or primer, that hardware was put on the car long after primer.
Ahhhhhh! I hadn't looked at 2nd set of pictures.
No point in wondering anymore. 50 years is a long time for anything to happen and it seems we visited this topic before (blue primer),  same O.P. here: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19319.msg122182#msg122182
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 06:02:25 PM by J_Speegle »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 03:10:36 PM »
Ahhhhhh! I hadn't looked at 2nd set of pictures.
No point in wondering anymore. 50 years is a long time for anything to happen and it seems we visited this topic before (blue primer),  same O.P. here: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=19319.msg122182#msg122182

Hi Richard yes I had started another thread previously.  However at that point I had only seen surface evidence of the blue paint, but now the paint seems to be on top of bare metal, which is why I am revisiting the mystery. The only explanation is that the car was previously stripped to bare metal and then fully repainted with red oxide on top. However there does not seem to be any evidence that the car was ever taken apart as all of the parts seem to be original, so it is confusing. It would also seem odd that some of the blue paint seems to be overspray. So perhaps it is actually a different color applied at a different time for some reason. Anyway it is very confusing and it seems to have been applied before some of the sound deadener and under coating. Like I said my painter thinks it was applied at the factory
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 06:02:15 PM by J_Speegle »
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 06:01:58 PM »
Hi Richard yes I had started another thread previously.  However at that point I had only seen surface evidence of the blue paint, but now the paint seems to be on top of bare metal, which is why I am revisiting the mystery. The only explanation is that the car was previously stripped to bare metal and then fully repainted with red oxide on top. However there does not seem to be any evidence that the car was ever taken apart as all of the parts seem to be original, so it is confusing.

A few observations. Some of your pictures seem to suggest that the blue paint is over the red oxide primer - Examples picture (reply #1)  # 5 & 6

In the last two of that group (what appears to be the back side of a fender) it would like help if you took some sand paper over the areas where the blue is showing. If the blue increases then that would show us the order of application if it gets smaller and shows another color through it that would help the discussion IMHO.

It would also seem odd that some of the blue paint seems to be overspray. So perhaps it is actually a different color applied at a different time for some reason. Anyway it is very confusing and it seems to have been applied before some of the sound deadener and under coating. Like I said my painter thinks it was applied at the factory

Blue paint only seems odd it we haven't figured out the original order and the fact that you have blue on parts that would not have been installed at the factory suggests allot and are factors IMHO that can't be ignored.

Reply #2 pictures 3-6 (and even back to pictures in the original post) all appear to be consistent with a repaint where the painter or owner came back with black paint to black out the wheel well.

If you have red oxide all over the car  that should also be an indicator of a repaint.  What is under the sound deadener in the front wheel well?

To recap. You have an original (based on an original door tag or a Marti report) black car with evidence of this earlier blue.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:30:14 PM »
Hi Jeff I will sand the inner fenders and get more photos posted so we can see if we can figure out for certain what really happened with this car. So many odd things imo. I cant imagine that this car could have ben painted blue at some point, but some of the paint showing does indicate that could have in fact been the case. In the first post the light blue paint seemed to be a latter application, but now the blue seems to be under the primer which confuses things even more
Mike

Offline stangfan

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 10:37:31 PM »
What does the door tag indicate for paint colour?  A Marti report would tell the tale.
1968 GT/CS
2018 Premium GT Fastback

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 10:49:36 PM »
What does the door tag indicate for paint colour?  A Marti report would tell the tale.

I have the Marti report. Its a factory black car
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:55:30 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 04:14:29 PM »
Hi Jeff I will sand the inner fenders and get more photos posted so we can see if we can figure out for certain what really happened with this car. So many odd things imo. I cant imagine that this car could have ben painted blue at some point, but some of the paint showing does indicate that could have in fact been the case. In the first post the light blue paint seemed to be a latter application, but now the blue seems to be under the primer which confuses things even more

In years past repaints could and sometimes did include a primer sealer before a respray to seal the two paint layers from one another. Another possible clue is that an original 68 San Jose exterior paint application would not have originally been applied over red oxide primer or primer sealer.
Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 04:39:24 PM »
In years past repaints could and sometimes did include a primer sealer before a respray to seal the two paint layers from one another. Another possible clue is that an original 68 San Jose exterior paint application would not have originally been applied over red oxide primer or primer sealer.

Ok thanks. So what would have been sprayed before the exterior color. I am just trying to put a plan in place for the repaint. I just assumed that the entire car would have been primed. Not sure if the sheet metal parts were in bare metal or primed before or after assembly. Obviously the bottom of the car received the red oxide. perhaps my car was stripped and painted and I don't actually have an original reference point as I first thought
Mike

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 05:43:36 PM »
Ok thanks. So what would have been sprayed before the exterior color.

There was typically a coat of light gray primer surfaces to cover small defects on most exterior body panels between the red oxide base and the exterior layer as shown in some of the original paint pictures posted in other threads.
Jeff Speegle

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 06:18:13 PM »
There was typically a coat of light gray primer surfaces to cover small defects on most exterior body panels between the red oxide base and the exterior layer as shown in some of the original paint pictures posted in other threads.

Great thanks
Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 11:58:37 AM »

More blue paint still a mystery. I appears top be under the sound deadener in some places and under the primer in other places. Why it is on some hardware is beyond me. It just seems so odd. It somehow got into some very deep and hidden crevices so effort was made to get there by someone at some point and then more paintbwas applied on top of it
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 12:04:48 PM by bullitt68 »
Mike