Author Topic: 66 GT exhaust clamps  (Read 573 times)

Offline CCP

66 GT exhaust clamps
« on: July 22, 2019, 04:18:04 PM »
  Hi guys. Installing the exhaust on this '66 conv. and was wondering about the exhaust clamp orientation at the h-pipe and the rear pipes. I did a search and came up with a couple choices. The service manual shows the clamps with nuts facing down. There was also pics with the clamps turned slightly at about a 30 or so degree angle, and also turned 90 degrees with the nuts pointing towards the rocker panel. Would all of the above be acceptable?

Thanks, Pete.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 12:38:04 AM by J_Speegle »
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack
1968 Shelby GT500KR
6F08A-GT,a/c,4-sp.,ps,build date 16A. DSO 24 Jacksonville

Offline jwc66k

Re: GT exhaust clamps
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 06:57:56 PM »
Installing the exhaust on this '66 conv. and was wondering about the exhaust clamp orientation at the h-pipe and the rear pipes. I did a search and came up with a couple choices. The service manual shows the clamps with nuts facing down. There was also pics with the clamps turned slightly at about a 30 or so degree angle, and also turned 90 degrees with the nuts pointing towards the rocker panel. Would all of the above be acceptable?

Original exhaust systems for a GT were two complete sections from the "H" pipe to the tips. Clamps were used at the "H" pipe and tips. The orientation at the "H" pipe was down, as was the tip clamp. The rear hanger clamp was a single screw parallel to the ground. This is shown in the 64-65 Mustang Chassis Manual, AM0005 pgs 34 and 35.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: GT exhaust clamps
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 12:22:04 AM »
  Hi guys. Installing the exhaust on this '66 conv. and was wondering about the exhaust clamp orientation at the h-pipe and the rear pipes. I did a search and came up with a couple choices. The service manual shows the clamps with nuts facing down. There was also pics with the clamps turned slightly at about a 30 or so degree angle, and also turned 90 degrees with the nuts pointing towards the rocker panel. Would all of the above be acceptable?

The vast majority of originals I've seen appear to have been finished at a slight angle and I would replace them as such. Some time this is only off by a few degrees from being straight down to more of an angle. For the rears you have to consider getting access to the clamp installing it with everything else in the way so it really limits any possible angles for those odd shaped clamps used all the way at the rear tips. Some of the angle is IMHO likely due to being left or right handed and holding the clamp at an angle with one hand while tightening with the other with a impact or power wrench at some locations . 

Likely have a fair number of examples - just in the middle of a couple of other projects at the moment that get in the way of scanning, grabbing and posting them. :(

Would not be a GT only thing for the H pipe or the tips:)

Example in the Picture thread section of the site

Early 66 SJ GT Convertible - Unrestored Picture Thread

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 12:39:48 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CCP

Re: 66 GT exhaust clamps
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 09:54:31 AM »
 Thanks Jeff. That thread was very helpful. It shows the front clamps facing towards the rocker like I have seen in other photos, and the rear ones facing down.

Pete.
1969 Fairlane Cobra formal roof drag pack
1968 Shelby GT500KR
6F08A-GT,a/c,4-sp.,ps,build date 16A. DSO 24 Jacksonville

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 GT exhaust clamps
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 05:40:23 PM »
Of course we shouldn't look to a single example as a guide since it's possibly not representative of the typical production practices. Maybe we can find some additional examples to support this one example but it does reflect what I recall seeing and what (for the H pipe) what I have on single exhaust examples
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)