Author Topic: Timing Pointer Visibility, 1968 S-Code  (Read 622 times)

Offline TonyH

Timing Pointer Visibility, 1968 S-Code
« on: June 17, 2019, 04:38:02 PM »
Sorry I don't have pics but I'm on travel for work.

I replaced my pulley system with original pulleys and brackets.  When I went back to the dual belt alternator configuration, I can no longer see my timing pointer enough to tell where the timing is set.  I can barely make out the pointer tip between the alternator belts but definitely cannot read the indices.  Should I be able to see the pointer and timing marks easily in the stock configuration?

The car is an Feb 1968 San Jose S-Code. 

Appreciate any assistance you can provide...thanks!

v/r
Tony
Tony

Driven San Jose 2/23/68 8R02S1427XX
Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Timing Pointer Visibility, 1968 S-Code
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 04:57:02 PM »
See the timing pointer and balancer easily?  No not really not with the alternator, Thermactor items, brackets, pulleys, fan, shroud and everything in the way depending on the angle but you should be able to find an angle where its visible. Sorry don't have a fully equipped FE in a car at home to take a picture of and don't have one on file that someone else took to show the access
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TonyH

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 06:15:22 PM »
Yeah, I've tried every angle and just couldn't get a glimpse of the indices.  My balancer is aftermarket so maybe the indices on the stock part are in a position that makes them easier to see.  I guess I can always set with vacuum...I've just never tried that.

v/r
Tony
Tony

Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 06:47:02 PM »
ahhh! aftermarket is the answer....
5F09C331248

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 06:54:51 PM »
Yeah, I've tried every angle and just couldn't get a glimpse of the indices.  My balancer is aftermarket so maybe the indices on the stock part are in a position that makes them easier to see.  I guess I can always set with vacuum...I've just never tried that.

v/r
Tony
The stock timing mark can be seen by design from one position or another regardless of factory accessories . As has been mentioned it isn't always easy . Given that factory stock timing mark should be able to be seen from one vantage point or another, if it can not be seen then after market parts if installed would be the likely source of the problem. Is the timing pointer in the stock position or has it been moved into a different position because of the aftermarket balancer for some reason.Or maybe the marks are different.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CT428CJ

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 10:30:43 PM »

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 10:22:22 AM »
True, there is no way to see the pointer and timing marks on thermactor equipped 390 / 427 / 428CJ engines built in 1968.

If you remove the thermactor pump it can be seen and you will be able to set timing by plugging the four thermactor lines, then re - install the pump after you get done. Ford realized this was a problem and made the pointer longer in later years to compensate.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline TonyH

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2019, 09:43:36 PM »
Thanks guys.  Thought I might have missed something as the car was completely reconfigured on the front end when I bought it.  Have been having a hard time getting good angles on stock configs with the smog installed.

v/r
Tony
Tony

Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 01:04:02 AM »
True, there is no way to see the pointer and timing marks on thermactor equipped 390 / 427 / 428CJ engines built in 1968.

If you remove the thermactor pump it can be seen and you will be able to set timing by plugging the four thermactor lines, then re - install the pump after you get done. Ford realized this was a problem and made the pointer longer in later years to compensate.
I have timed GT500 KR Shelby's which is essentially a CJ Mustang with a timing light without removing the thermactor pump. No doubt removing the thermactor pump would make it easier.  I checked the Ford published 1968 shop manual which has all sorts of obscure tests ,tools for tests and general how to for the Ford service department or generic repair shop. I did not find any reference to a special technique like removing the thermactor pump when timing a 1968 390 or 428/428CJ  engine.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby