Author Topic: 66 289 I.D. STICKER  (Read 3581 times)

Offline bryancobb

• Silver Level Subscriber
  • 2009 Ridn' Around
66 289 I.D. STICKER
« on: November 18, 2010, 07:55:32 AM »
On Bob Perkins' gold unrestored 66, there is a decal across the coil bracket and coil, that I believe is called the Engine I.D. Sticker.  I can't read it in the picture.

I have been able to find that a 1966 4v 289 with A/T would have "c1 235S" on this decal. 
What would a 1966 2v with A/T have on this decal?

I'm quit sure every engine had one of these so the factory workers could easily identify engines visually from a fair distance away.

Thanks
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int
6T08C223904    76A       K         22       15c     21      6        6
                      BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  XMSN
   C/O  785                                   (rotation #)
   16    C14   6T08C223904        (weld bay 16, bucked MAR 14)

Offline Twilight65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: 66 289 I.D. STICKER
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 08:06:58 AM »
Bryan,
Pretty sure it would have been "C1 236S". ECS Automotive carries these tags. Heres a link.

http://ecsautomotive.com/productdesc.php?co=f&id=2

Dave
65 Coupe Dearborn Scheduled Build July 9,1965 289/C4
66 Sprint Conv. Dearborn Scheduled Build May 13, 1966 200/C4

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 10:15:21 AM »
Bryan,
Pretty sure it would have been "C1 236S". ECS Automotive carries these tags. Heres a link.

http://ecsautomotive.com/productdesc.php?co=f&id=2

Dave

My engine is a Change Level 11 engine which was early 66 from WINDSOR founfry.  I'll bet the "C" needs to be a "W."

The windsor foundry may not have even used the same method of I.D.'ing engines in the plant?  Can someone please confirm?
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 11:54:12 PM »
I have normally seen these stickers running lengthwise down the length of the coil (66/67) and across the coil bracket band on original cars and vintage photos. I think that is the normal way they were applied from the factory and not sideways across the coil bracket band like I occasionally see them on restored cars at shows. Bob
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bryancobb

• 2009 Ridn' Around
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 05:27:05 AM »
Agreed Mr. Gaines.

What do you know about them being used in Windsor as well as Cleveland?

If so, do the the Windsor ones still start with a "C" ?

Thanks
66 Metuch Conv
Nightmist, Std Blu Int

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 07:37:11 PM »
I have normally seen these stickers running lengthwise down the length of the coil (66/67) and across the coil bracket band on original cars and vintage photos. I think that is the normal way they were applied from the factory and not sideways across the coil bracket band like I occasionally see them on restored cars at shows. Bob

Hey Bob,
My untouched car was the same as I could see the residue from the decal. When I say the same I mean running top to bottom rather than across the bracket (left to right). Just wondering if the decal was viewed from the ps or ds. What I am saying is did the text start at the top and go down or did it start at the bottom and go up? Guessing it was applied and viewed from the ps?

Thanks,

Daniel.
66 Metuchen, NJ  GT Coupe
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
BODY  COLOR   TRIM    DATE   DSO   AXLE  TRANS
    65B     A      66           02M     22          1     6
Buck Tag:
C/O  362  (Customer Order, Rotation Number)
5    M7 (Weld Bay 5, Bucked Dec 7)
PIO (Performance Image Option - GT)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 11:56:12 PM »

+1

As if your buying the decals rather than making your own you might consider re-tearing/re-cutting the ends of the tape (using a packaging tape dispenser to get the original style edge - many of the repos aren't close ;)

Just took pictures of the situation and the fix last week  was going to do an informational/how to for next weeks posting
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 01:13:41 AM »
Hi Jeff,
Had a feeling you may chime in here. I must have a good repro as the edges are jagged. Nice touch.  My decal ran top to bottom as Bob mentioned but I'm still trying to clarify if the decal was viewed from the ps or ds. What I am saying is did the text start at the top and go down or did it start at the bottom and go up? Guessing it was applied and viewed from the ps?

Dan.
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »
Hi Jeff,
Had a feeling you may chime in here. I must have a good repro as the edges are jagged. Nice touch.  My decal ran top to bottom as Bob mentioned but I'm still trying to clarify if the decal was viewed from the ps or ds. What I am saying is did the text start at the top and go down or did it start at the bottom and go up? Guessing it was applied and viewed from the ps?

Dan.
I have seen them running from top to bottom being read from the PS . I don't know if this is the only way it was done but it is the only way i have ever seen it done . If they were applied the other way it wasn't very prevelent I would have to conclude from the examples I have come across. It would seem to make the most sense to be read from the PS because that is the most visable way to view the tag compared to trying to view it from the DS. The paper tags didn't last too long and have only seen a half dozen or so still readable first hand. All of the others were vintage pictures.     
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 01:26:17 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 66RavenGTCoupe

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 06:49:40 PM »
Thanks Bob and Jeff,
We are truly lucky to be able to benefit from your experiences and knowledge.
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas.

Daniel.
Raven, Deluxe Black Int
6T07A1612##
Buck Tag:

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »
Hi Jeff,
Had a feeling you may chime in here. I must have a good repro as the edges are jagged. Nice touch. ...............

All (well most) of the reproductions have a jagged edge but many are much different than the original fine (from a tap dispensor) style

Here are a couple of original examples - one from an old magazine

As Bob posted - sticker was applied so it could best be read from the passenger side

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 02:04:32 PM »
Jeff, although not the subject of this thread I thought I would mention that in the first picture besides being a great example of the way the paper sticker was applied on the coil (tell tale adhesive residue) and over the band it is ALSO a great example of a side by side comparison of the two different kinds of clamps used on the heater hose (taller tower wider band) and the bypass hose (shorter tower ,narrower band) the gap between one side of the tower base and the other. For those reading this was a subject brought to our attention that we were discussing earlier in the year. Feel free to move this if needed.