Author Topic: 1967 retractable seat belts  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Norms67

1967 retractable seat belts
« on: May 06, 2019, 06:38:34 PM »
Looking for a resource for a 1967 mustang deluxe or running pony with "long arm" retractable seat belts for front and non-retractable belts for rear. Have not been able to find on NPD, Mustangs Plus or Mustangs unlimited. Any ideas on where you can buy these?

It came with "long arm" belts, I have seen the short arm but was this the correct style for early 67 mustang?

Offline jwc66k

Re: 1967 retractable seat belts
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 07:47:10 PM »
Buy used seatbelts sets of your choice and send them to Stewart at http://www.pythonrestoration.com/ He does a good job, quicker, with the tags and cheaper than "other" seat belt places.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 12:15:07 AM »
It came with "long arm" belts, I have seen the short arm but was this the correct style for early 67 mustang?

Believe it depends on body style/type
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Norms67

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 11:24:45 AM »
1967 mustang early SJ coupe

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 01:31:01 PM »
I would like to be educated on what is a long and/or short arm seat belt?
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 01:54:38 PM »
I would like to be educated on what is a long and/or short arm seat belt?
+1
I have not heard of the belts called this before.
Re: 1967 belts, (not counting shoulder belts), I know the Coupes & Fastbacks use the same belts with a retractor on the fronts and convertibles cannot use the retractor since the rocker interferes. Otherwise, Standard and Deluxe and (made by 2-different manufacturers) but long arm and short arm are new terms to me.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Norms67

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 09:19:24 PM »
Please see attached for picture of what I am talking about. When I bought the car it was a numbers matching vehicle and I just assumed that these were the original seat belts that it came with.

If you purchase an aftermarket repo at MU or NPD or anywhere else it seems they have a much shorter version of the retractable part of the belt.

Picture shows a much longer version of the retractable side of the belt. Perhaps my terminology of this is not correct.

What is it supposed to have?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 10:27:33 PM »
Please see attached for picture of what I am talking about. When I bought the car it was a numbers matching vehicle and I just assumed that these were the original seat belts that it came with.

The style of front belts you show is what was was typically used on a 67 coupe
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 06:00:35 AM »

If you purchase an aftermarket repo at MU or NPD or anywhere else it seems they have a much shorter version of the retractable part of the belt.

Picture shows a much longer version of the retractable side of the belt. Perhaps my terminology of this is not correct.

The style of front belts you show is what was was typically used on a 67 coupe
+1
Best description would be "Deluxe Seat Belts", same for both Coupe and Fastback. Your car would also have the Seatbelt lamp under the ignition switch with the Deluxe Seatbelt Option. (or a "belt" light in the "Convenience Group" option).
As mentioned, best solution would be a restoration of original belts since the factory type is not reproduced.
You could try for core belts or "good used" or reconditioned used originals in a thread over in the Parts Wanted section of this forum.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Norms67

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 12:24:14 PM »
+1
Best description would be "Deluxe Seat Belts", same for both Coupe and Fastback. Your car would also have the Seatbelt lamp under the ignition switch with the Deluxe Seatbelt Option. (or a "belt" light in the "Convenience Group" option).
As mentioned, best solution would be a restoration of original belts since the factory type is not reproduced.
You could try for core belts or "good used" or reconditioned used originals in a thread over in the Parts Wanted section of this forum.

Richard,

Could you please elaborate on the "Seat Belt Light"? I am unfamiliar with this light and the exact location and what it may look like. I also will do some research on the internet regarding same. My Marti report does not show a "Convenience Group" as a feature that it came with. Are you saying that the seat belt that I show in the picture is correct? Why don't the aftermarket belts have the "longer retractable" option. They seem to only sell the the really short version.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 12:42:52 PM »
Does your Marti report show deluxe belts
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 01:00:50 PM »
Richard,

Could you please elaborate on the "Seat Belt Light"? I am unfamiliar with this light and the exact location and what it may look like. I also will do some research on the internet regarding same. My Marti report does not show a "Convenience Group" as a feature that it came with. Are you saying that the seat belt that I show in the picture is correct? Why don't the aftermarket belts have the "longer retractable" option. They seem to only sell the the really short version.
Does your Marti report show deluxe belts

Refer to attached images in this thread: http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5627.0

If your car did not come with Deluxe Belt option,  they used a long retractor on the front lap belts (excepting convertible) but have a different buckle and receiver ends. Standard belts also DID NOT have the Seatbelt Light.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:07:55 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 01:16:56 PM »
Ebay item 401753118662 is a good representation of a full STANDARD coupe/fastback set in black.
Richard Urch

Offline krelboyne

• West Coast Classic Cougars
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 02:53:47 PM »
OK, we are discussing the length of the sleeves for the retractors. I checked and unless they have been trimmed, which is common when they start splitting, they should have originally been the same length regardless of Standard or Deluxe. There might be some variations out there, but my Dearborn belts seem to be very consistent.
Scott Behncke - Carcheaologist
West Coast Classic Cougars
503-463-1130
1968 GT/CS 302-4V San Jose 05B
1968 Cougar XR7 Dearborn 09A

Offline Norms67

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 04:43:02 PM »
Ok cool, I think I have a good handle on the seat belts and the light that I need. I do have the deluxe belts on the Marti report and based on this forum and some internet research I believe I will have the correct light ordered. Belts will have do some more homework on but I believe I will have a good idea of what I am looking for.

I still can't believe that the aftermarket ones don't have the correct retractable side of the belt.