Author Topic: Original quarter panel?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Re: Original quarter panel?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 12:06:57 AM »
How did you make the determination that it's original?

This looks like an extremely quick and dirty panel replacement done by someone who has no clue as to how a MIG welder works. I think it's homeowner. Then again I saw a "Pro Shop" pop rivet a quarter panel onto a car once.

What's the date in the gutter of the trunk on the left side and does it come close to the date on the other side?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 68OrangeCrate

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 02:17:17 AM »
Yeah, Bill...  The screwed up side is 3 7 2W.  The good side is 3 15 2W.  And, the bad side has factory spot welds at the rear.  It also has sound deadening under the paint.  I think it was just a crappy attempt to save the panel.  I’m just trying to figure out if it’s worth trying to fix the “fix”.  I don’t know if a good body guy would even consider doing it, or just laugh out loud!
MIKE the novice

'68 Flower Power Red Coupe:
289ci; C4; San Jose; Rainbow of Colors Car
'68 Candy Apple Red GT/CS:
289ci; C4 (In Garage Restoration)
2007 Shelby GT500
2007 Mustang GT

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 01:53:05 PM »
Here is what I see.
A much less than accurate weld job at the door jamb. To fix this would require panel removal.
A much less than desirable weld job along the top of the fender. Replacement is also called for.
A much less than desirable weld job at the seam next to left trunk hinge. Removal is the only way to fix that area.

I also see white paint under the side scoop. I believe this is the used replacement panel's original paint color. If you follow this paint color toward the rear we also see this color right as the quarter folds over to the rear. You need to sand through the red paint in this entire rear area looking for the original white paint underneath to see where the rear splice was done. It may be much further towards the passenger side.

This is very hard to do with pictures. Someway, somehow you need to get a body man or painter out there to inspect this personally.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 05:34:25 PM »
Another puzzle. Like so many of the cars.

So we have signs of repair at the forward drivers side trunk opening panel joint. Some repair seam along the rear roof post to quarter panel and something went on at the top section of the door jamb on the drivers side.

Have you looked at the wheel lip, quarter panel to trunk drop pinch weld., other side (passenger side) of the taillight panel just in case we have a possible larger clip that took place. Not suggesting anything but to figure out a puzzle you have to consider everything and look everywhere for evidence. Doesn't seem that the body person wasn't looking to hide his work as long as it wasn't on the exterior (as usual) so clues elsewhere on the interior, undercarriage or trunk should stand out 

Not sure if I missed it earlier but which 68 (since you list two cars) is this?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 68OrangeCrate

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 11:35:07 PM »
Another puzzle. Like so many of the cars.

So we have signs of repair at the forward drivers side trunk opening panel joint. Some repair seam along the rear roof post to quarter panel and something went on at the top section of the door jamb on the drivers side.

Have you looked at the wheel lip, quarter panel to trunk drop pinch weld., other side (passenger side) of the taillight panel just in case we have a possible larger clip that took place. Not suggesting anything but to figure out a puzzle you have to consider everything and look everywhere for evidence. Doesn't seem that the body person wasn't looking to hide his work as long as it wasn't on the exterior (as usual) so clues elsewhere on the interior, undercarriage or trunk should stand out 

Not sure if I missed it earlier but which 68 (since you list two cars) is this?

Scary thought...  That would explain the APPARENT originality of the left quarter.  Yikes!  This is my GT/CS...  Or, maybe it’s just a GT...  or, CS.... or...

More to follow.
MIKE the novice

'68 Flower Power Red Coupe:
289ci; C4; San Jose; Rainbow of Colors Car
'68 Candy Apple Red GT/CS:
289ci; C4 (In Garage Restoration)
2007 Shelby GT500
2007 Mustang GT

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 10:21:47 AM »