Author Topic: Original quarter panel?  (Read 1610 times)

Offline 68OrangeCrate

Original quarter panel?
« on: May 02, 2019, 10:35:53 PM »
Okay guys...  I’ve put this project off for a long time (and, here’s why).  I’m back to doing exploratory surgery on my GT/CS to see what needs to be fixed.  I’m trying to determine if the left quarter is original and whether it’s worth trying to save.  Can anyone tell me what is going on with the top seam in the photos?  I removed a lot of Bondo that was used to shape the quarter to roof junction.  FWIW: I believe that the quarter is original based upon info from the previous owner.  And, the inside (trunk area) looks to have the original sound deadening.

I’m learning as I go...  Is it worth trying to save this panel?  I see no rust...

Thanks...
MIKE the novice

'68 Flower Power Red Coupe:
289ci; C4; San Jose; Rainbow of Colors Car
'68 Candy Apple Red GT/CS:
289ci; C4 (In Garage Restoration)
2007 Shelby GT500
2007 Mustang GT

Offline C6ZZGT

Re: Original quarter panel?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 02:36:09 AM »
Can we have more pictures of all over ? jamb area,tail panel etc. I dont like the look of the top next to the Quarter window,looks like a seam there.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:39:41 AM by C6ZZGT »
Brian
66 GT Coupe 6R07A143871 owned since 1983
40+ yr parts man , over 25 with Ford.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 05:34:10 AM »
Certainly not a factory seam. I vote for replacement quarter. I can think of no other reason to put a seam there except to replace the quarter panel.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Online ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 08:58:06 AM »
I agree it is a old replacement that had been damaged a time or to since it was done. I would replace it with a full quarter rather than spending all that time saving a partial panel replacement. Also when it is off you can be sure the outer wheel house is solid.

Offline 68OrangeCrate

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 11:27:21 AM »
Certainly not a factory seam. I vote for replacement quarter. I can think of no other reason to put a seam there except to replace the quarter panel.

That’s what I was figuring.  Obviously, I’ve not done a tear down like this before.  So, I don’t know what the attach points are supposed to look like (still trying to find examples).  I’ll post more pictures....  Thanks guys.
MIKE the novice

2007 Shelby GT500
2007 Mustang GT

Offline 68OrangeCrate

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 11:59:05 AM »
Can we have more pictures of all over ? jamb area,tail panel etc. I dont like the look of the top next to the Quarter window,looks like a seam there.

Here are more photos of this mess...  Kinda feel stupid for asking the question.  Conflicting info from previous owner, and the tail panel area and inside trunk look pretty “factory” to me. 

The roof to quarter is terrible.  Hope it’s reasonably fixable.
MIKE the novice

2007 Shelby GT500
2007 Mustang GT

Offline 68OrangeCrate

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 12:04:56 PM »
I agree it is a old replacement that had been damaged a time or to since it was done. I would replace it with a full quarter rather than spending all that time saving a partial panel replacement. Also when it is off you can be sure the outer wheel house is solid.

Would you guys go with Dynacorn if I can’t find OEM.  Or, is there a better aftermarket?
MIKE the novice

2007 Shelby GT500
2007 Mustang GT

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 01:05:34 PM »
Would you guys go with Dynacorn if I can’t find OEM.  Or, is there a better aftermarket?

You should be able to locate an OEM within a few weeks/months. I doubt I could recommend anything else on a GT/CS except a nice original, but even that would come with "issues" too.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 68OrangeCrate

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 01:58:21 PM »
You should be able to locate an OEM within a few weeks/months. I doubt I could recommend anything else on a GT/CS except a nice original, but even that would come with "issues" too.

Kinda what I was thinking.  Well, I’m all in.  I’ll be posting regularly as this goes.  I appreciate the advice...
MIKE the novice

2007 Shelby GT500
2007 Mustang GT

Online ruppstang

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 09:13:05 AM »
I used a Dynacorn quarter on our 68 GT350 restoration and was very pleased with it. Finding a useable original or a NOS at a reasonable price may be difficult.

I like your car for some reason. Here is one of ours. :)

Offline 68OrangeCrate

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 01:19:24 AM »
Wow...  Beautiful car Rup...  Thank you for the input.  I agree...  I’m on the hunt for OEM/NOS.  But, the original stuff is gone.  I’ve seen mixed reviews about Dynacorn.  But, the fix on this car was not done properly and I think it’s my only real option.  I bought this car from the original family.  It’s seen 50 years of (ob)use...  But, it’s a real Cali, and I want to bring her back as best I can.

Special request:  Could you post a picture of the hood pin cutouts on the underside of your hood?  I suspect that my hood was poorly modified.  And, I’ve looked all over for the proper placement and dimensions of the cutouts.  I’ve seen one reference to this on the site.  But, it’s very vague...  Maybe I’m not looking in the right place.

Thanks...  Mike

MIKE the novice

2007 Shelby GT500
2007 Mustang GT

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 08:38:05 AM »
Mike, can you send me a pm or an email?

Coralsnake68@hotmail.com

Online ruppstang

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 09:10:35 AM »
Wow...  Beautiful car Rup...  Thank you for the input.  I agree...  I’m on the hunt for OEM/NOS.  But, the original stuff is gone.  I’ve seen mixed reviews about Dynacorn.  But, the fix on this car was not done properly and I think it’s my only real option.  I bought this car from the original family.  It’s seen 50 years of (ob)use...  But, it’s a real Cali, and I want to bring her back as best I can.

Special request:  Could you post a picture of the hood pin cutouts on the underside of your hood?  I suspect that my hood was poorly modified.  And, I’ve looked all over for the proper placement and dimensions of the cutouts.  I’ve seen one reference to this on the site.  But, it’s very vague...  Maybe I’m not looking in the right place.

Thanks...  Mike

Here is a picture of a unrestored GTCS hood. Let me know if you need any thing else, we have four of these cars.
Marty

Offline 68OrangeCrate

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 05:15:01 PM »
Outstanding!  Thank you, Marty.  The hood I have was, obviously, a replacement...
MIKE the novice

2007 Shelby GT500
2007 Mustang GT

Offline 68OrangeCrate

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 06:59:46 PM »
Here’s an update that I didn’t want to make:  The quarter is original.  I can’t decide if that’s good or bad, given the Frankenstein repair job.  I hope I can save it... 

HAS ANYONE SEEN A “FIX” LIKE THIS?  Old cars are like life, and a box of chocolates.  Good grief....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 07:02:41 PM by 68OrangeCrate »
MIKE the novice

2007 Shelby GT500
2007 Mustang GT