Author Topic: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Leaf Springs  (Read 1860 times)

Offline bullitt68

1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Leaf Springs
« on: April 22, 2019, 03:37:24 AM »
I took my leaf springs apart to restore today and I have a couple of questions.

1. Are these original leaf springs?
2. Can I straighten out the 2 bent springs or should I replace?
3. Is the correct finish phosphate & oil. These were painted at some point.
4. Do I need to press out the bushings? One set came right out, but the other end are really in there. I don't want to press or bang on them without asking
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1968 GT 390 (San Jose) Leaf Springs
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 05:36:24 AM »
I took my leaf springs apart to restore today and I have a couple of questions.

1. Are these original leaf springs?

No they are nor shaped like originals. Originals did not have the holes in the end with insulators attached in that manner. Bands/clamps are not the original design ether

Guessing you didn't find a stamped id number and date

2. Can I straighten out the 2 bent springs or should I replace?

A spring shop can re-arch leaves much of the time just have to locate a spring shop

3. Is the correct finish phosphate & oil. These were painted at some point.

No though some choose P&O to try and replicate the original dark heat treated oil quenched finish.

4. Do I need to press out the bushings? One set came right out, but the other end are really in there. I don't want to press or bang on them without asking

Yes the original forward bushings were pressed in place
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 05:51:18 AM »
Thanks Jeff. Perhaps I should just get a new set of leaf springs. I could always check with a  spring shop and see if they can fix them. Obviously I can get all of the correct hardware. Once I strip the thick paint off I can confirm if there is a stamp, but I suspect that the springs are not original given your comments.

What is the best method for duplicating original leaf springs. On other cars I have gone the phosphate route as well as gun bluing, graphite & sharkskin to name a few methods. Not sure if Ford would be any different. Generally when I have purchased reproduction springs the finish has been close to correct. Interestingly most restored leafs I have seen are generally lighter in color than originals. Would this be a thing or is it acceptable to have a finish that is not 100% accurate.

I will use a press for the front bushings. FYI they look like new, so I assume it would most likely be safe to re-use them. I will check the part numbers to see what I have.

This car was restored when I bought it but after starting to go through it I have decided to do a full restoration on the car, so needless to say I am replacing or restoring every part on the car.

Thanks for all your help I appreciate it

Mike

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 01:34:15 AM »
Just curious if I was to purchase some reproduction leaf springs which vendor would have the most correct springs with clamps and finish as close to heat treated (dark looking) as possible. I found these on the Scott Drake website
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 04:49:54 AM »
Just curious if I was to purchase some reproduction leaf springs which vendor would have the most correct springs with clamps and finish as close to heat treated (dark looking) as possible. I found these on the Scott Drake website
Try Virginia Classic Mustang.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 05:22:07 AM »
Try Virginia Classic Mustang.

Great thanks Bob
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 11:23:41 AM »
Great thanks Bob
VCM have sold a OEM type for a reasonable price for years now. Many will take their bottom plate and switch it with the VCM leaf spring instead of refurbishing theirs. They come with front bushing already pressed in. If you done't have a bottom plate to switch out then the one that comes with it looks satisfactory. Brant the owner is a forum member.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 06:23:05 PM »
VCM have sold a OEM type for a reasonable price for years now. Many will take their bottom plate and switch it with the VCM leaf spring instead of refurbishing theirs. They come with front bushing already pressed in. If you done't have a bottom plate to switch out then the one that comes with it looks satisfactory. Brant the owner is a forum member.

Thanks Bob I checked the website, do you know if the springs are painted grey or dark heat treated look. Also I want the springs to match the springs I had on the car so that my ride height will be the same. I have seen some 5 spring units on line, but they would not be correct
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 02:48:42 AM »
Thanks Bob I checked the website, do you know if the springs are painted grey or dark heat treated look. Also I want the springs to match the springs I had on the car so that my ride height will be the same. I have seen some 5 spring units on line, but they would not be correct
It has been a while since I bought any and the people I know that have bought recently I did not have a reason to ask about color so I can't say for sure the color they come now.   Ask for Brant at Virginia and he will have the most current info. Yes 5 leaf would be a obvious after market style .

Offline bullitt68

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 03:13:04 AM »
It has been a while since I bought any and the people I know that have bought recently I did not have a reason to ask about color so I can't say for sure the color they come now.   Ask for Brant at Virginia and he will have the most current info. Yes 5 leaf would be a obvious after market style .

Thanks Bob I will give Brant a call
Mike

Offline dkknab

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2023, 06:01:27 PM »

This is an old thread and not exactly for my 289 2V coupe, but is VCM still a good source for concours replacement  leaf  springs? I seem to recall seeing the clamps are dark colored so may not be correct.  If there is a better thread I should read can someone please help?
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 06:21:51 PM »
As a general response I would not expect to purchase any new replacements that did not need work to make them passable in a concours based judging event or to look like originals. As mentioned in many other threads its best if you have and swap the short springs with the engineering numbers and dates if available also

Leaf spring clamps, as you mentioned, would be an untreated fresh steel look not a dark finish along with other details like the design of the hole (round or square) for your application
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dkknab

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 07:08:58 PM »
I'm up for refinishing/refurbishing my springs.  Is there a particular how that you could point me to? I'm assuming I'd need new leaf spring clamps as well as bushings and possibly bolts.  Hopefully all the metal bits can be cleaned up satisfactorily.
David Knab

1968 Sunlit Gold Coupe Sprint B
289 2V, AT, PS
Nugget Gold Interior
April 5, 1968 Build Date, Metuchen Plant

2019 Bullitt Highland Green K7662

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2023, 03:03:31 AM »
This is an article I put together that summarizes what works for me:

https://anghelrestorations.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/mt_march_17_leaf_springs.pdf

Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations