Author Topic: 66 - Package tray  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Josep

66 - Package tray
« on: April 04, 2019, 11:15:16 AM »
Hi guys,

I have recently removed the package tray in my Hardtop, a PO drilled holes for speakers and I don’t think this is correct so I want to replace it for another one. I am asking here what was the way to fix it. Do I need to fix it with screws.? How do I have to proceed.? Thanks.

Josep
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 04:29:53 PM by J_Speegle »
1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - C4 - Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36

Online jwc66k

Re: Package tray
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
- a PO drilled holes for speakers and I don’t think this is correct so I want to replace it for another one. I am asking here what was the way to fix it.
Are you asking about the actual fiberboard piece, or the metal frame?
Do you have a copy of the Mustang Interior Manual. It shows the installation.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline Josep

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 01:06:53 PM »
Thanks Jim, I was asking how to fix the tray to the metal frame. I have seen that NPD has the stuff I need like screws, retainers and mounting kit, as well as the insulation. Guess that’s what I need to go correct.

No, I don’t have that Mustang Interior Manual sorry..

Josep
1966 Mustang Hardtop 200 Inline 6 - Arcadian Blue - C4 - Thermactor - 6R07T213966 - San Jose projected build date June 11th 1966 - DSO 71
1966 Mustang Convertible 289-2V - Vintage Burgundy - AT PS DB - 6F08C109403 - Dearborn projected build date September 9th 1965 - DSO 36

Online jwc66k

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 02:14:22 PM »
The manuals shows the what, where and how.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 03:00:56 PM »
I have recently removed the package tray in my Hardtop, a PO drilled holes for speakers and I don’t think this is correct so I want to replace it for another one. I am asking here what was the way to fix it. Do I need to fix it with screws.? How do I have to proceed.? Thanks.

If I understand what your describing you would need to fill the screw holes (hope they didn't cut the package tray to install larger speakers  ::) replace the package with a new one and if they are still there reinstall the factory retainers for the package tray.  If they hacked the metal panel under the package tray that is going to be a much larger task. In the example below the owner left out a few retaining brackets. I'll find a picture of those

Picture is from a 65 coupe using the "cardboard" style divider

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 04:32:58 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Josep

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 03:37:30 PM »
If I understand what your describing you would need to fill the screw holes (hope they didn't cut the package tray to install larger speakers  ::) replace the package with a new one and if they are still there reinstall the factory retainers for the package tray.  If they hacked the metal panel under the package tray that is going to be a much larger task. In the example below the owner left out a few retaining brackets. I'll find a picture of those

Sorry for the confusion. What I was exactly asking for was the way to fix the package tray to the metal frame, which screws, retainers, etc. do I need to do the job the more correct way. My tray had nothing to fix it to the metal frame. So I need those screws, retainers and mounting kit.

Josep

Offline Josep

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 03:38:15 PM »
Jim

I’ll try to get one of those... thanks.

Josep

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 03:40:40 PM »

Sorry for the confusion. What I was exactly asking for was the way to fix the package tray to the metal frame, which screws, retainers, etc. do I need to do the job the more correct way. My tray had nothing to fix it to the metal frame. So I need those screws, retainers and mounting kit.

Josep

(using the word "fix" to state he needs to "attach" the package tray (different dialect)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 04:23:02 PM by J_Speegle »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Online jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 04:12:45 PM »
Part of the "what" is adhesive including the "where" to spread it. The manual is a very valuable tool.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 04:23:22 PM »
(using the word "fix" to state he needs to "attach" the package tray (different dialect)

Good catch

Some pictures

Here is a picture of one of the outer two (one each side) screws and location. From a thread in the unrestored picture section

Late 66 San Jose coupe

A shot of the inner front package tray retainers from 6R1590xx

« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 04:44:09 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 04:24:55 PM »
Part of the "what" is adhesive including the "where" to spread it. The manual is a very valuable tool.
Jim

Jim what adhesive are you referring to?  Don't recall seeing or ever finding adhesive holding down the package tray
Jeff Speegle

Online jwc66k

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 07:32:28 PM »
Jim what adhesive are you referring to?  Don't recall seeing or ever finding adhesive holding down the package tray
ESB-M2G35-A - sticky stuff for the sound absorber (an often overlooked item) that goes between the tray and the sheet metal holding the absorber to the metal.
Jim

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 08:21:38 PM »
ESB-M2G35-A - sticky stuff for the sound absorber (an often overlooked item) that goes between the tray and the sheet metal holding the absorber to the metal.
Jim

Don't recall ever finding nor could I find any pictures in my collection of cars with the remains or signs of any prior adhesive being applied to the painted metal surface of the package tray.  Other adhesives we find usually leave something behind such as other interior applications or int he trunk

Think this may be a detail in the manual that was not done at the plant, at least San Jose or only for a very short production period.

Do see the very thin insulator between the Masonite and the metal section. Really thin and an off white at least on late cars on the visible side. This example is 6R204xxx

Will be interesting to hear what others have found when removing the package tray out of a 66 coupe for the first time
Jeff Speegle

Offline Josep

Re: 66 - Package tray
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 03:13:23 AM »
Thanks Jeff, those pictures really helps..!

Richard, it is not another dialect, it’s just a matter of having another language as mother language rather than English.

Is the Jim Osborne the best choice for the Interior Manual.? Other.?
And BTW, what was the correct thickness of the tray..? Thank you.

Josep
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 03:51:05 AM by Josep »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 66 - Package tray
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 04:46:52 AM »
Best choice?  Its about the only choice. The other option would be pages from the MPC. Like anything in writting you want to double check all the details since we know that each page in the manual was published to correct something that was changed or a mistake on the prior version of that page. Each page has revision dates. Also we don't know if Ford didn't publish another page to replace the one we have access to the next day, week or month.  Only IMHO by cross refrencing the documents and unrestored cars like yours from the same plant and time period can you make the best choice. Of course if your car was a low mileage, untouched car to begin with that would be the best choice

Most of the Masonite today comes in metric thicknesses. I think the original was 1/8" thick but that is a guess - don't recall ever measuring an original
Jeff Speegle