Author Topic: Carb Spacer Finish - 66 San Jose  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Morsel

Carb Spacer Finish - 66 San Jose
« on: March 31, 2019, 03:19:56 PM »
Hey all, I'm actually getting ready to "fix" some paint details on my K engine and been looking at the carb spacer paint/over spray. Was it an over spray so the whole thing wasn't painted, just sort of ghosted up onto the sides, or was the whole thing painted like in Charles Turner's example on his blogspot engine? Or both happened, some fully painted and some over sprayed...

Thanks,

Jason

NOTE: This request was separated from another thread

« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 05:57:11 PM by J_Speegle »
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
Re: Carb Spacer Finish - 66 San Jose
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2019, 10:22:14 PM »
JASON.

Image from my unrestored 66 gt coupe x San Jose.  it has 3/4 of the carby spacer in engine paint and the rest is bare.
I know jeff has a engine image in his vast collection what shows to be a plastic bag of sorts taped around the carby spacer to prevent paint/dirt/items getting inside the spacer and into the intake manifold.

it is often a detail like this that is not reproduced on many restored cars these days. I also have a Dearborn example where the carby spacer has only a small paint line around the carby spacer so I guess it could depend on what the worker responsible for this process did each time round

regards

PHILL BERESFORD
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline Morsel

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 12:03:31 AM »
Thanks Phill, this helps... I would assume this was very random as you say, so sometimes probably barely sprayed, other times fully I would assume.

Yes, missed on a lot on restored cars, as well as the exhaust manifold overspray. Just finally taking care of these details so wanted to ask.

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 12:34:33 AM »
Sine this is an engine plant detail where the car was built isn't a defining point in the discussion. Also the practice was the same for all 289's so K code, 4V and 2V's all shared the same detail and practices

Did check the assemble instructions for 66 289s and it does state not to paint the carb suggesting that the carburator was installed at the time when the engine was painted. Ford's instructions to the painters stated they didn't want the mating surfaces (intake to spacer - spacer to carb) painted and buy painting it with the carb in place they achieved that

Some of the following only show what remains of the blue paint after all these years while others are lower mileage and show more paint. Not sure how they masked the carb during the painting process of the engine

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 01:11:35 AM »
Interesting, in most cases it seems as though the full carb spacer looks to be painted... just the carb as you state must have been masked off somehow. Those photos basically show blue paint all the way up the spacer to the carb.

So I guess it doesn’t matter for the most part as it probably varied, as long as you don’t paint the carb itself.

Thanks for the photos Jeff, very helpful.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 12:17:17 PM »
Keep in mind the lower gasket, between the spacer and intake, was in place when the engine was painted and also the carb studs.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Morsel

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 02:48:02 PM »
Keep in mind the lower gasket, between the spacer and intake, was in place when the engine was painted and also the carb studs.

Yeah, I got the gasket in place, but I had the studs masked off, so the carb studs get painted too? I didn't notice that on your blogspot K engine photos, looked like the threads were still silver, was the thread portion taped off and just the tops painted, or the whole thing?

I know it's just guessing, but with the comment Jeff made about the carb possibly being installed when the engine was painted based on the assembly instructions, wouldn't those have been masked off with the carb if so?

Thanks,

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 07:59:46 PM »
I know it's just guessing, but with the comment Jeff made about the carb possibly being installed when the engine was painted based on the assembly instructions, wouldn't those have been masked off with the carb if so?

Don't know if I can explain how things turn out certain ways so at times were have to focus more just what its suppose to look like and not get bogged down on the why's.  Though its always fun and better if we can explain and understand how or why ;)

A number of the examples I posted did have engine paint on the studs still
Jeff Speegle

Offline Morsel

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 08:21:46 PM »
Don't know if I can explain how things turn out certain ways so at times were have to focus more just what its suppose to look like and not get bogged down on the why's.  Though its always fun and better if we can explain and understand how or why ;)

A number of the examples I posted did have engine paint on the studs still

Fully understand, I'm a "why" guy sometimes just because I get curious and like to have stories to try to backup things I do on the car :)

I'll get the studs painted as well... thanks to you guys for all the help, always appreciate the super details...

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 09:12:03 PM »
Fully understand, I'm a "why" guy sometimes just because I get curious and like to have stories to try to backup things I do on the car :)

Yes I believe the vast majority of us here are ......
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 11:15:37 PM »
Hi Guys,
Just checking but was there a gasket between the spacer and the carb as well?
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 11:33:00 PM »
Hi Guys,
Just checking but was there a gasket between the spacer and the carb as well?

Two in total

Between spacer and intake - and one between carb and spacer
Jeff Speegle

Offline 66RavenGTCoupeAgain

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 01:15:03 AM »
Thanks so much Jeff. I thought as much but the top one wasn't there when I dismantled so it made me ask. Final question. On a 2  barrel carb, does the top gasket have the large rectangular tab at the rear (where the pcv hose plugs in) like the bottom one does? Again, top one was missing so I have nothing to go by. Thanks in advance.
66 Metuchen NJ  GT Coupe
Raven with Deluxe Black Int 289 A Code C4 PS Tinted Windows (Green) Dealer installed Rear Speaker
6T07A1612## Dec 65 Build
65 San Jose CA Convertible Rangoon Red with White Int and Power Top with plastic rear window 289 C Code C4 PS PB AC Fog Lights
5R08C1496## Oct 64 Build