Author Topic: Power steering cylinder problems  (Read 556 times)

Offline beatlemike

Power steering cylinder problems
« on: March 15, 2019, 11:58:23 AM »
While detailing my undercarriage, I disconnected the power steering cylinder from the bracket that holds it to the frame. Unfortunately, I didn't hold the piston steady when I turned the nut and it appears the piston might have spun in the cylinder. I didn't think this was an issue until I connected everything and started the car. Now I hear a very loud squealing sound when I start the car. I now know to hold the piston steady when removing the nut but how do I fix this?

Mike

68 Dearborn plant

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Power steering cylinder problems
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 11:12:58 PM »
While detailing my undercarriage, I disconnected the power steering cylinder from the bracket that holds it to the frame. Unfortunately, I didn't hold the piston steady when I turned the nut and it appears the piston might have spun in the cylinder. I didn't think this was an issue until I connected everything and started the car. Now I hear a very loud squealing sound when I start the car. I now know to hold the piston steady when removing the nut but how do I fix this?

Mike

68 Dearborn plant
I suspect something else is causing the squealing besides the piston shaft of the ram spinning. I have never had that symptom associated with the shaft turning. Others may have had a different experience.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Online ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 01:19:32 AM »
The usual squealing associated with power steering is a loose belt.   

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »
Agree.

The piston / shaft spins freely. That's why the end of the shaft has flats to be able to hold it with a wrench while tightening the nut.

The usual squealing associated with power steering is a loose belt.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »
Better yet, there's a socket for that!

Snap-On (and others) make a socket that goes on the end of this piece and the shocks so that the end doesn't mush over. This one is labeled A135 and a bigger one is A136.

I've used a distributor wrench to hold the nut on the rear shocks and then set the impact to "tighten" to remove crusted on shock nuts.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion