Author Topic: 1968 basic wheel covers appearance  (Read 893 times)

Offline beatlemike

1968 basic wheel covers appearance
« on: March 08, 2019, 03:46:35 PM »
I have a question about the "standard" wheel covers for the '68. What's the difference between the one on the right and the one on the left? Is it just the one on the right is sun bleached and the one on the left is closer to NOS? I'm referring the the areas between the "spokes". They're noticeably lighter in color than the one on the left. The problem I have with that theory is that most of the glossy pictures of '68's I've found in Mustang books show the "washed out" version, not the darker version.

Along this same line, does anyone have a recommendation for touch up paint for the one on the left?

Mike
68 coupe Dearborn plant.

Offline ruppstang

Re: 1968 basic wheel covers appearance
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 08:00:45 PM »
I think that they were painted differently. One may be a service part, look for a date code or sticker on the back.

I think NPD has a dark argent wheel paint that may be close.   

Offline beatlemike

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 12:20:27 AM »
Interesting. Unfortunately, there aren't any stickers and I can't find any engineering numbers on the back. So if this is true, which one is the original and which is the service replacement? More importantly, would a MCA judge knock off points if the service replacement set is on the car at a MCA show? Can some MCA judges weigh in on their thoughts?

Thanks
Mike

68 coupe, Dearborn.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 12:35:45 AM »
Mike I am a MCA 67-68 gold card judge. I would not deduct as long as all four were the same. I have a set of NOS deluxe hub caps I think they have the same dark color on them. I'll see if I can get a picture.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 04:45:34 PM »
I think that they were painted differently. One may be a service part, look for a date code or sticker on the back.

+1 As mentioned may times here on the site. Service replacements can often be finished or even shaped differently depending on who the supplier was for the later pieces and how particular Ford was at the time it was made and accepted as fullfilling the agreement to provide the part

................More importantly, would a MCA judge knock off points if the service replacement set is on the car at a MCA show? Can some MCA judges weigh in on their thoughts?

I would likely not be the idea that they are service replacements but instead not the original finish. Would you expect that a judge might notice, comment (on the sheets) and possibly take a small deduction for it?  If the grill in your car or the painted areas of your interior were noticeably different from the original color I would expect at least a discussion and notation. Deduction might follow depending on the people that made up the team that day.

Taking the question and equating it to other areas of the car can sometimes help you look at it in a consistent manner.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline beatlemike

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 02:06:05 PM »
Jeff,
I agree that a deduction (or just maybe a comment) would be in order if the wrong finish was showing. That brings me back to square one. Which is the original finish and which is the service replacement? Are the dark ones original or are the lighter ones original? The contrast between the two is more striking when you see the wheel covers in person. I have 4 of each color and don't know which 4 to use for an upcoming show.

P.S. I'm surprised there aren't any date codes or engineering numbers (that I can see) on the wheel covers.

Thanks

Mike

68 Dearborn plant

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 10:04:55 PM »
Mike I feel the darker is correct.

I have a 68 unrestored HCS that has it's original hub caps. They are faded but appear to have been the darker color. I also have a NOS hubcap that is the darker color. The part number was on a paper tag that was most likely soon lost on a driven car.

Offline beatlemike

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 12:19:52 AM »
Ruppstang,
Thanks for taking the time to take these pictures and for posting them. The picture of the loose wheel cover is definitely the darker shade. But, as you pointed out, the picture of the wheel cover mounted to the wheel, shows the lighter shade. Perhaps they all start out dark and the ones kept out of the sun and elements stay dark and the ones exposed to the elements fade over time.
The mystery continues but....based on your advise, I'll go with the darker ones for the show (unless more definitive info surfaces).

Thanks

Mike
68 coupe, Dearborn plant.