Author Topic: 1967 200-six automatic driveline stripes  (Read 988 times)

Offline bofus

1967 200-six automatic driveline stripes
« on: March 07, 2019, 12:19:03 AM »
Due to 250k miles and the color degradation over the years, I am having difficulty determining what the stripe colors on the driveline were. The larger (3/4")  stripes near the center appear to be (from rear forward) yellow, green, and red(?).  There are  also two smaller lines forward of those three that are less than 1/4" wide and unknown color (possibly cream?).  There are also two marks along the driveline one at the front and one at the rear each about a foot long that appear to have been orange.  Could someone please verify if my color observations are correct?   Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:41:19 AM by bofus »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 200-six automatic driveline stripes
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 04:26:10 PM »
First welcome to the site - hope you find it helpful

For me this is a great example of why you can't always tell colors and tints when viewing over the internet.

I'm seeing on my monitor a yellow - a light blue or maybe teal  - then possibly a pink but by what I'm seeing more likley white.   Reds were typically strong fire engine reds on drivelines. There is an article in the Library on paint markings and at the back I included a few pages of typically applied colors for examples.

Since your the only one that can see these in person you have to be the judge so you might want to go down to the local hobby store and mix up some small paint jars together now to get a match to each so that later, once they are long gone you can reproduce them. 

If you haven't already take some fine steel wool and lightly rub it over one section of the stripe to see if removing the top layer of age off then wet and look at the color again. Light colors especially can benefit from this since they are more likely to be affected by staining and age.

Both of the areas may stand out more if you soak the driveline in evapo rust as many have suggested in other threads.  Also as a last resort you can apply to a small section of the painted stripe a daub of lye (a little daub of easy off oven cleaner - the HD formula) It will fizz and foam and for a moment you will see the color before it dissolves and is gone for good

Looked through my pictures and notes (buildsheets are no help in this matter for 67) I have no other examples matching your cars year, model and options
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bofus

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 08:47:43 PM »
Additional forensics reveal better color definition for the three larger stripes as yellow, teal, and (probable) white as shown in the attached picture.  The smaller lines further forward can remain uncertain, but appear to be almond or cream.

Offline bofus

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:59:53 PM »
Here’s how it ended up.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 10:15:56 PM »
Very nice! You might want to consider painting the yokes red oxide. I have a picture if you need it.

Offline bofus

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 12:42:26 AM »
I saw zero signs of red primer on either end. There was a daub of blue paint on the front which I replicated.  Please do provide any pix you'd care to share.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 09:36:23 AM »
I have never found one that did not have the red oxide, I guess it is possible.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 09:43:19 AM »
Very nice! You might want to consider painting the yokes red oxide. I have a picture if you need it.
I saw zero signs of red primer on either end. There was a daub of blue paint on the front which I replicated.  Please do provide any pix you'd care to share.
I have never found one that did not have the red oxide, I guess it is possible.

A supplier thing perhaps? When I did my 11/2/66 built Coupe, it did have a red oxide slip yoke (C4 trans), no signs of red oxide found on the welded-on yokes (and I was looking for it to be there when I dipped it in the rust dissolver).
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline bofus

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 04:41:02 PM »
I deferred and used primer on the ends. Here it is installed.  Any other pointers would be welcome!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:44:02 PM by bofus »

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 05:29:37 PM »
i can't tell from the pic but what about the bluing around the welds??
5F09C331248

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 09:24:36 PM »
I deferred and used primer on the ends. Here it is installed.  Any other pointers would be welcome!!

That looks great, nice job.

Not too many six cylinders get that nice of a restoration.