Author Topic: Early/mid 66 San Jose hood hinge and spring finish  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Morsel

Early/mid 66 San Jose hood hinge and spring finish
« on: February 28, 2019, 01:52:25 PM »
Hi all,

So getting down down to details here, from images I've seen and previous threads I've looked and I've searched for, the finish of the 1966 hood hinge seems to be a slightly lighter "grey" phosphate and oil finish, not dark grey almost black look that I see on later cars. Also know that the early 65 cars were painted black and I know there are variances in tone of phosphating too. I guess I'm trying to find out if they are darker then I'm thinking and what I've seen are more of the rarity. I've attached a screen shot sort of showing what I'm talking about, one on the left being lighter...

Also, the springs color and tone, wouldn't it be different looking since I believe they were harden steel? So if you want a true look, they wouldn't be phosphated with the hinges and would look different, correct?

I need new springs anyway and searching for a set of good NOS ones, but I'm about to get my hood hinges phosphate and oiled, but I want to instruct the supplier doing it for me about the final intended tone.

Any help and clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always,

Jason
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Early/mid 66 San Jose hood hinge and spring finish
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 03:26:25 PM »
There are two types (at least) of phosphate - zinc and magnesium

Zinc is the lighter of the two. IMHO it was not be a big deal if there was variation (not enough to make one take notice immediately)  but every batch will be slightly different and different metals will react somewhat differently from the ones I've had done.

IF my monitor is presenting the tone and colors of the two you posted truthfully the one on the right is much more like what I've seen and would want. Lets see what others say
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 03:46:27 PM »
The 2nd type is manganese... which is on the darker side.  There are other factors that can change the final appearance... which are the type of steel the part is made of and how long the part is left in the phosphate solution.  Based on my experience of doing phosphate coating, most of the times the manganese matches up best with original parts.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Morsel

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 03:50:06 PM »
Thanks guys, very helpful...

Jason
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 09:21:31 PM by Morsel »
February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:09:25 PM »
Hi all,

So getting down down to details here, from images I've seen and previous threads I've looked and I've searched for, the finish of the 1966 hood hinge seems to be a slightly lighter "grey" phosphate and oil finish, not dark grey almost black look that I see on later cars. Also know that the early 65 cars were painted black and I know there are variances in tone of phosphating too. I guess I'm trying to find out if they are darker then I'm thinking and what I've seen are more of the rarity. I've attached a screen shot sort of showing what I'm talking about, one on the left being lighter...

Also, the springs color and tone, wouldn't it be different looking since I believe they were harden steel? So if you want a true look, they wouldn't be phosphated with the hinges and would look different, correct?

I need new springs anyway and searching for a set of good NOS ones, but I'm about to get my hood hinges phosphate and oiled, but I want to instruct the supplier doing it for me about the final intended tone.

Any help and clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always,

Jason
The springs are spring steel not harden steel which is more brittle. The springs are typically darker then the hinge when new.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Morsel

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 07:58:24 PM »
The springs are spring steel not harden steel which is more brittle. The springs are typically darker then the hinge when new.

Thanks Bob, will be doing this very soon...

Offline Morsel

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 02:13:19 PM »
So curious, I received a NOS service part hood spring and removed the black paint using a citrus stripper not to harm the original finish underneath. When the paint was removed, I saw what looks to be the original finish... it seems to have this almost dark finish with a "sparkle" to it, almost like it has a metallic flake in it if it were painted.

Is this what they originally looked like? Or is that just a possible effect of the citrus stripper on the metal?

Thanks,

Jason

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 02:30:00 PM »
So curious, I received a NOS service part hood spring and removed the black paint using a citrus stripper not to harm the original finish underneath. When the paint was removed, I saw what looks to be the original finish... it seems to have this almost dark finish with a "sparkle" to it, almost like it has a metallic flake in it if it were painted.

Is this what they originally looked like? Or is that just a possible effect of the citrus stripper on the metal?

Sound like what your describing is what we typically see on freshly phosphated finishes. The sparkle may diminish over time or "change with angle, lighting and what you use to protect the surface with
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Morsel

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 03:12:26 PM »
Sound like what your describing is what we typically see on freshly phosphated finishes. The sparkle may diminish over time or "change with angle, lighting and what you use to protect the surface with

Ok, cool, thanks for the info Jeff, just wanted to know, I've never seen this sort of iridescent sparkle quality before... I guess that's what the paint does and why they did it, protects it :)

Thanks as always.

Jason