Author Topic: 69 Firewall Electrical and Cable Retainers  (Read 2484 times)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
69 Firewall Electrical and Cable Retainers
« on: February 22, 2019, 04:42:58 PM »
There are posts attached (welded) to the face of the firewall on 69 and 70 Mustangs on the engine compartment side.  The subject of one of these retainers came up on another site recently so in response to that thread I went through pictures and collected and looked at what I could find related to the subject.

It appears that a number of different style retainers were used (have four so far) depending on what was being retained/secured, what assembly plant and during what time period. Have not do a in-depth look yet,  may not have enough data yet to provide a complete picture,  but wanted to offer some pictures and what I had found so far related to just 69 Dearborn findings

Here are a few pictures of them installed sorry they could not be much clearer or free of obstruction. They are a pain to take off without breaking them and were used for different purposes depending on Mustang and Shelby model.

Holding a speedo cable on a four speed car. These are reported to now be available in reproduction form.

Close-up of a flatter version most often found, so far, retaining wire looms in this case for the neutral safety and back up lights

They can also be found used elsewhere on the firewall depending on model, time period and plant. Lower one is broken likely by someone jerking on what ever was in that clip. These appear to be faded from exposure to the sun. Looks like its possible that this was an Oklahoma yard picture

During the production years the flat style of wire strap/retainers were sometimes used. Similar style (though possibly different) to those are like the style found at the drivers side rear of the engine compartment that hold the windshield washers hoses to the firewall.  This one was being used for the speedo cable for a four speed car like the first picture above.

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline specialed

Re: 69 Firewall Electrical and Cable Retainers
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 01:17:17 AM »
Jeff u got a better photo of J-strap like on your first photo holding speedo cable as thats the round hook type j-strap just made & in your second photo the flat type wireing holder also just made. The round speedocable type i have also seen holding wires to firewall just below throttle cable.

Offline Wills70

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 02:08:32 PM »
These are a couple off some parts cars years ago , so I cannot verify these are 69 or 70s. Would these be the 4 speedo clips?
Thanks Will

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 05:30:26 PM »
Jeff u got a better photo of J-strap like on your first photo holding speedo cable as thats the round hook type j-strap just made & in your second photo the flat type wireing holder also just made. The round speedocable type i have also seen holding wires to firewall just below throttle cable.

I'll look but don't believe so. If one is still there then most of the time the engine and other items are in the way for a nice picture. If out and in a yard (stuff out of the way) the clips gone :(  allot of the time or I would have a handful out in the garage.
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 08:29:55 PM »
I'd like one of those retainers for my speedo cable.  Is there a vendor ?  Thanks, Brian
5RO9A GT  4 Spd Built 5/29/65
9TO2R SCJ 4 Spd Built 9/19/68
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 08:48:52 PM »
I'd like one of those retainers for my speedo cable.  Is there a vendor ?  Thanks, Brian

This tread should help but it will not provide a direct link to the maker. I'll PM them on that site (since you might not be a member) and pass that one if it will help

http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=81124.msg536006#msg536006
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 10:33:04 AM »
Thanks Jeff.  I am a member of that site.  I sent Eddie a PM and will wait and see if that gets a response.  Brian
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:04:06 AM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 06:02:41 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  I am a member of that site.  I sent Eddie a PM and will wait and see if that gets a response.  Brian

For others he got back to me and I was informed they should be on the Dead Nuts On site soon
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 08:34:47 PM »
OK Dead Nuts has them. 
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 09:11:39 PM »
OK Dead Nuts has them.

Or will in the very near future and Jack get the order page posted  ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »
So I am looking for the post to hang the speedo cable clip from and I don't have one ?  Early Metuchen car does have the upper reverse harness post.  Probably should be on the raised circular bump ?  Brian
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 02:42:15 PM »
So I am looking for the post to hang the speedo cable clip from and I don't have one ?  Early Metuchen car does have the upper reverse harness post.  Probably should be on the raised circular bump ?  Brian

Don't know. If you notice the other examples above don't appear to have a raised "bump" in that area of the firewall that shows in your picture

First step I believe is to see if the early firewalls had the same posts as later versions. Will see what I have and maybe we'll see if this splits off to a new discussion and finding

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 02:44:16 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2019, 08:48:52 PM »
Jack at deadnutson now has the speedo and wiring clips for the firewall available.

https://www.deadnutson.com/1969-70-firewall-speedometer-cable-clip/
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline Brian Conway

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 12:37:22 PM »
Got a short note from 'DeadNutsOn', I assume from Jack, saying he has noted this anomaly, missing post, before. Brian
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 01:08:36 PM by Brian Conway »
Owner Driver Mechanic
San Diego, Ca.

Offline 1970 Snake

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 11:32:04 AM »
Hi, interesting thread I was looking for my original J-clip a while back for assembly and finally found it, glad to see Jack now repro's them. I realize your posting 69 cars but decided to post a pic of my original disassembly which shows the original clips on my very early build Dearborn 1970 Mach1, which actually has a number of 69 parts on it which where assembly line installed. The J-clip was used to hold the C-6 floor shifter light wire and the flat strap closest to the booster held the C-6 neutral switch wire and the other to hold another wiring harness I believe.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:52:07 AM by 1970 Snake »
Dearborn Built Sept 4, 1969
1970 Mach1 428 CJ R-Code C6
Calypso Coral, White Deluxe Interior
dash tach, front bumperettes
Marti report one of one with delay wipers