Author Topic: 67 Strut Rod Bushings  (Read 530 times)

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
67 Strut Rod Bushings
« on: February 20, 2019, 08:19:36 PM »
There are a plethora [always wanted to use that word] of strut rod finish threads, but none showing an original breakdown of the assembly line strut bushings, washers, etc.

This is a competition suspension car (Shelby) and may differ from others of the same year/plant. The car appears to have not had its bushings replaced and I believe it has the correct assembly line parts. If not, then I need to know what is correct.
Also, I have listed the Assy Manual description of the finishes.
Corrections to any of this?

1st pic is of the strut itself before cleaning. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be yellow paint or just where a puddle of water rested for a while and rusted it. I suspect yellow paint as the yellow color was all over the top, not just in the depression. I cleaned it with Stoddard solvent and then glass media (fine balls, not cut glass).

2nd pic is of the bushing end. Most of the stuff on this end is from the undercoating this car received sometime in its life. That accounts for how nice the washers came out after glass bead.

3rd pic is the money shot.
The bushing has a tube that slides over the strut rod and into each bushing.
There is a male bushing and a female bushing.
Clockwise are the two "rear" nuts. These nuts are S2 and have serrations on them to lock into the washers.
Again clockwise, all 4 washers have the serrations and should be natural.
The next two nuts are forward of all washers (the part you see when viewed from the nose rearward). They should be S7. They do not have serrations.

Last in the clockwise rotation are the strut rod to LCA bolts finished S2 and their special cone locking nuts done in S7.

Note that the finishes above are what they are supposed to be. All of the parts above are fresh from the media blaster with finishes yet to be applied.

[edit was just to clean up some verbiage and add some details of the before condition]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 01:32:59 PM by Bossbill »
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion