Author Topic: 70 Dearborn Undercarriage Color Related Questions-Multi Merged Threads  (Read 4784 times)

Offline Armond

• Silver Level Subscriber
    • D'Agostini Restorations.com
Re: 70 Dearborn Undercarriage Color Related Questions-Multi Merged Threads
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 12:20:35 AM »
I supposed the fan in the paint area could have been so strong it sucked the the black over spray straight down and would not over spray. You would think they would have done something. On the Boss 429 I finished recently I found this odd tape off on the cowl, before the Pastel blue was applied, showing gray sealer underneath.  Maybe they taped off the cowl opening?  It was on both sides, Here is a pic I saved.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:30:44 PM by J_Speegle »
MCA#31064
rsz_1rsz_thumbnail_1_altered" border="0

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2020, 06:27:51 PM »
................On the Boss 429 I finished recently I found this odd tape off on the cowl, before the Pastel blue was applied, showing gray sealer underneath.  Maybe they taped off the cowl opening?  It was on both sides, Here is a pic I saved.

Armond - 69 or 70?

Believe I have a number of similar pictures/examples from Dearborn. Either tape or small sections of paper or forms left in place
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Armond

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2020, 07:24:14 PM »
it is a 70.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 07:30:51 PM by J_Speegle »
MCA#31064

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 07:44:10 PM »
Thanks

Though it doesn't appear to be typical (lot more without than with so far) I'm unsure if this was something one shift did for a particular production period . Included partcial VINs to see if a pattern can be found

My guess is that these held a copy of the buildsheet prior to painting that someone assigned to typically remove them for got it on these examples

0F157xxx

Unknown

0F1689xx

0F172xxx PS

0F172xxx DS
Jeff Speegle

Offline Armond

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 02:35:05 AM »
Those a great examples!  The tape line seems a bit wide for a build sheet. Either way interesting.
MCA#31064

Offline K-HESS

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2022, 08:47:33 PM »
A couple pictures of green slop that I found on the remains of a Dearborn built 1970 mach1. It has an apron stamping of 0F178xxx. Original body color is yellow
The Little Devil-1969 Mach1 9T02Rxxx666 Built 10/21/68
A5-Raven Black, 3D-Dark Red Clarion Knit Vinyl, 4-Speed

Offline Danymichy

• '70 Dearborn 250 1V
1970 Dearborn Sportsroof 250 1V Undercarriage
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2022, 12:01:43 PM »
Hi everyone, thanks for accepting me in the forum.
Sorry for my English, I'm Italian and I bought one two years ago
 1970 Mustang Sportsroof 250 1V.
From Marty's report I know it was produced in Dearborn on June 3, 1970, was yellow # 3470-A and is an export.
Over the years it has been completely repainted and anti-noise added to the underbody.
I started the restoration to bring it back to its most original condition (there will never be concours for these cars here, but I want it to be as original as possible).
The body has been completely stripped, the rust sheets fixed and now the painting phase begins ....
Reading your forum a bit, I read that the underbody may not be the classic red-oxide, what color should it be?
How should it be painted?
At what stage and where should the anti-noise be sprayed?
Is it correct that the engine compartment should be semigloss black?
Here it is not easy to find information of this level ....
Much appreciated photos to be shown to my coachbuilder.
Thanks everyone for your help.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 02:36:20 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline Coralsnake

• Global Moderator
Re: 1970 Sportsroof 250 1V Undercarriage
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2022, 12:53:00 PM »

Offline cobrajet_carl

Re: 1970 Dearborn Sportsroof 250 1V Undercarriage
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2022, 09:17:58 PM »
If the car was stripped before being checked for the batch paint, it may be lost forever. Removing the plugs for the seat attachment nuts may reveal the original batch color.
Carl
70 and 71 Dearborn mach Is

Offline hopey

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2022, 09:43:13 PM »
Go to the library section of the forum, under the 1970 the Undercarriage - Finishes and Sealer Guide for 1970 Dearborn Built Mustangs is a good starting point.

https://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5718.0
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 09:10:28 AM by hopey »
1970 BOSS 302
Built 11/15/69 Dearborn

Offline Danymichy

• '70 Dearborn 250 1V
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2022, 02:18:03 AM »
If the car was stripped before being checked for the batch paint, it may be lost forever. Removing the plugs for the seat attachment nuts may reveal the original batch color.
unfortunately it got lost ... I didn't check it before stripping it.

Offline Danymichy

• '70 Dearborn 250 1V

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2022, 03:02:36 AM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and support helpful in your restoration project

unfortunately it got lost ... I didn't check it before stripping it.

Yes too many owners or builders think that they don't need to document their car before they start the restoration process and believe there is someone out there that can tell them every detail. What we have discovered over the years and here weekly at least, is that each plant did many things differently and in your examples related to the undercarriage finishes, different almost from day to day. Often they are similar and follow patterns. Unfortunately now you will have to use information collected from the few examples from other cars built around the same time period and same plant.  The article posted (Hint ;)you can find it in the Library under the 1970 headings) should be a decent start and give you and you builder a general idea of the process, layers and in what order. Once you get through that you will likely be in a better place to ask additional questions about colors of primer/sealer/ batch colors used around the same time as your car

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Offline Danymichy

• '70 Dearborn 250 1V
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2022, 05:50:00 PM »
First welcome to the site. Hope you find the information and support helpful in your restoration project

Yes too many owners or builders think that they don't need to document their car before they start the restoration process and believe there is someone out there that can tell them every detail. What we have discovered over the years and here weekly at least, is that each plant did many things differently and in your examples related to the undercarriage finishes, different almost from day to day. Often they are similar and follow patterns. Unfortunately now you will have to use information collected from the few examples from other cars built around the same time period and same plant.  The article posted (Hint ;)you can find it in the Library under the 1970 headings) should be a decent start and give you and you builder a general idea of the process, layers and in what order. Once you get through that you will likely be in a better place to ask additional questions about colors of primer/sealer/ batch colors used around the same time as your car

Again welcome

My mustang had been repainted twice with two different colors before I took it apart.
I stripped it two years ago and I had no idea that the background color could be different from that of the car.
99% of Mustangs in Italy have a black background or covered with anti-noise ...
I looked at the links you recommended, I saw the painting methods, but my first question is whether the primer is batch color or red oxide?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2022, 11:46:44 PM »
.....I looked at the links you recommended, I saw the painting methods, but my first question is whether the primer is batch color or red oxide?

For the period production you identified and looking at the few examples I have from that period I would go with a batch color from the firewall rearward and red oxide a batch color similar to the rear or a different color from approx the firewall forward. Sources for each (floor and firewall forward were from different sources in the plant like earlier years

Here is an example of a pretty dark gray without either a blue or green tint often seen IMHO from a car possibly built within days of your car at Dearborn.
The area to focus on it directly below the bracket where it is not reflecting any light from the flashlight and has been protected from the elements for all these years.  Rest of the exposed floor on this example did not generate any good exposed areas leaving us with just the little peek

« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 05:49:32 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle