Author Topic: Drive shaft markings - 6 CYl 3 Speed  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Captain Kent

Re: Drive shaft markings
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 11:58:18 PM »
It sounds like there is a possibility that there may not have been stripes at all. When we started this restoration about 4 years ago I didn’t know it was a LoneStar. My thought was to put a 289 in it. When we found out about the car we decided to go back original. The 6cyl is of course tougher and fewer were made of this edition. I think there may be only 2 known to remain   
1967 Lone Star Special. Owned since ‘74
Produced in Dearborn April 7, 67
200 6cyl 3spd
Mustang Monthly; http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1409-1967-ford-mustang-hardtop-rare-finds/

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 12:06:23 AM »
It sounds like there is a possibility that there may not have been stripes at all...

Have to disagree workers at the plant had to have some form of identification at the station where the body dropped down onto the section where the exhaust,  driveline rear end were waiting.  Stripes were the way they identified them. Good thing is that they are easier to add the marks later once you find the right ones as you can spin the driveline while holding the brush to the driveline where you want them. Allot easier than trying to get that all done on the bench or the garage floor  ::)

Yes there is a thread already on those subjects ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2019, 03:35:13 PM »
Have to disagree workers at the plant had to have some form of identification at the station where the body dropped down onto the section where the exhaust,  driveline rear end were waiting.  Stripes were the way they identified them. Good thing is that they are easier to add the marks later once you find the right ones as you can spin the driveline while holding the brush to the driveline where you want them. Allot easier than trying to get that all done on the bench or the garage floor  ::)

Yes there is a thread already on those subjects ;)

I agree. I’ll wait till I find out for sure. Who has that info?
200 6cyl 3spd
Mustang Monthly; http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1409-1967-ford-mustang-hardtop-rare-finds/

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 03:49:36 PM »
I looked for drive shaft stripe definition for over two years before I found a similarly equipped vehicle as mine, same assembly plant, and reasonably close build date.

I hope you find it much sooner than me, but you need to be patient.

Keep in mind that most people want a bright red convertible that looks good on the outside and sounds mean.  A smaller subset want the bottom to be clean, and by clean that could be a shiny painted black, or new aluminum driveshaft.  There is a small subset of people that are looking for factory original details.

When you add 50+ years of dirt and grime, the size of the set shrinks and continues to do so.

Lastly, it should make sense, based on value, that the Boss, CJ, Shelby, HiPo, GT, Mach etc. variety cars, will result in significantly more research and better documentation than a 6 cylinder car.

In some respects, those that restore the 6 cylinder cars are in a tougher position.

Patience is required.  This is why Jeff noted that in this case the stripes are easily added at a later date.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 04:50:33 PM »
I agree. I’ll wait till I find out for sure. Who has that info?

Someone that has a very nice and well preserved car built like yours unless someone discovers some decoder manual that was used to instruct the workers on the line.

Won't hold my breath waiting for the decoder to be found :)
Jeff Speegle

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 10:15:56 PM »
I looked for drive shaft stripe definition for over two years before I found a similarly equipped vehicle as mine, same assembly plant, and reasonably close build date.

I hope you find it much sooner than me, but you need to be patient.

Keep in mind that most people want a bright red convertible that looks good on the outside and sounds mean.  A smaller subset want the bottom to be clean, and by clean that could be a shiny painted black, or new aluminum driveshaft.  There is a small subset of people that are looking for factory original details.

When you add 50+ years of dirt and grime, the size of the set shrinks and continues to do so.

Lastly, it should make sense, based on value, that the Boss, CJ, Shelby, HiPo, GT, Mach etc. variety cars, will result in significantly more research and better documentation than a 6 cylinder car.

In some respects, those that restore the 6 cylinder cars are in a tougher position.

Patience is required.  This is why Jeff noted that in this case the stripes are easily added at a later date.

Thanx for the excellent advice. I’m in no hurry. I just had it cleaned and sanded and it looks great. The drive shaft had a little ding and I left it there. No telling when i did that.
200 6cyl 3spd

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2019, 10:28:14 PM »
Thanx for the excellent advice. I’m in no hurry. I just had it cleaned and sanded and it looks great. The drive shaft had a little ding and I left it there. No telling when i did that.

There is an article about restoring drivelines in the Library if you haven't seen it yet
Jeff Speegle

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »
Someone that has a very nice and well preserved car built like yours unless someone discovers some decoder manual that was used to instruct the workers on the line.

You know searching for the answers is a lot of the fun in this restoration. If I didn’t care I would gphave taken my car to a local and written a big check. Having a forum like this with guys that truly want to help is encouraging. I may try and attend the Houston show to skower the field. Thx J.
200 6cyl 3spd

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 05:08:53 PM »

I just got back from seeing a 67 built at Dearborn with a 200 6cyl 3 spd just like mine. Built less than 2 months before mine. Looking close under the car it was really hard to tell. I put windex on it and it looked like 3 stripes. The first that I can see is a black stripe that may be 1/2” wide. It’s 18 3/4” from the back of the DS. 4” forward it appears to be a 1” Red stripe and 1” forward a yellow 1” stripe. The pic is not very good. I have an arrow pointed at what looks like a white stripe in front of the black stripe. I only saw that from the pic.
200 6cyl 3spd

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 05:31:48 PM »
I just got back from seeing a 67 built at Dearborn with a 200 6cyl 3 spd just like mine. Built less than 2 months before mine. Looking close under the car it was really hard to tell. ......................

Good you found your answer and IMHO you were lucky to find an example like your car so quick and close. 

Its been my experience that sometimes digit cameras "see" details you don't see in person. Down side is often the colors are not the same as they look to the eye in person. Two edge sword but together it gets the job done.

Well done
Jeff Speegle

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 05:57:19 PM »
Good you found your answer and IMHO you were lucky to find an example like your car so quick and close. 

Its been my experience that sometimes digit cameras "see" details you don't see in person. Down side is often the colors are not the same as they look to the eye in person. Two edge sword but together it gets the job done.

Well done

This car was about 5 miles. The red and yellow don’t show well in the pic but I’m sure they are R & Y.

200 6cyl 3spd

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 06:12:16 PM »
This car was about 5 miles. The red and yellow don’t show well in the pic but I’m sure they are R & Y.
Offer the owner an Evaporust soaking. He might tell you to go take a flying leap but he might let you get a closer look at his driveshaft! Make a buddy, work together and share notes ;) Never hurts to ask if you end up being a Buddy with the owner.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 06:54:16 PM »
I would soak you drive shaft in Evaporust and look for the paint marks

+1
MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2019, 02:16:05 AM »
Offer the owner an Evaporust soaking. He might tell you to go take a flying leap but he might let you get a closer look at his driveshaft! Make a buddy, work together and share notes ;) Never hurts to ask if you end up being a Buddy with the owner.

Actually he offered to let me do what I needed to do once he gets to that point. Really nice guy.
200 6cyl 3spd