Author Topic: Drive shaft markings - 6 CYl 3 Speed  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Captain Kent

Drive shaft markings - 6 CYl 3 Speed
« on: February 16, 2019, 07:13:06 AM »
Were there paint stripes on a 67 Mustang 6 Cylinder 3 speed Drive shaft produced in Dearborn?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:26:35 PM by J_Speegle »
1967 Lone Star Special. Owned since ‘74
Produced in Dearborn April 7, 67
200 6cyl 3spd
Mustang Monthly; http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1409-1967-ford-mustang-hardtop-rare-finds/

Offline ruppstang

Re: Drive shaft markings
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 09:29:27 AM »
IMHO there were stripes on all drive shafts. That was how Ford workers identified them.

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 10:20:43 AM »
What would be the stripes for this particular Mustang?
200 6cyl 3spd
Mustang Monthly; http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1409-1967-ford-mustang-hardtop-rare-finds/

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 03:51:33 PM »
What would be the stripes for this particular Mustang?

When was your car built?  Unfortunately buildsheets that year don't include the stripe information. Maybe I'll ahve some documentation or pictures. will take a look

You will find it comes in handy to add your cars details to your signatures like many others here have. Keeps you from having to add it to many of your posts when you ask questions because someone is going to ask ;)

BTW welcome to the site - hope you find the support and information here helpful in your concours related efforts.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 10:47:38 PM »
I’ll add to my profile when I figure it out. Thx.   My 67 Coupe is a Lone Star Special edition. Produced in early 67. I think March at Dearborn. 6 cyl 3 Spd. I’ve owned for 45 years.
200 6cyl 3spd

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 09:20:25 AM »
I’ll add to my profile when I figure it out. Thx.   My 67 Coupe is a Lone Star Special edition. Produced in early 67. I think March at Dearborn. 6 cyl 3 Spd. I’ve owned for 45 years.

Cool!
I didn't know of anyone else who has kept a 67 Coupe longer than I have (who did not buy it 'new').
Your Coupe sounds like a nice example of one of the Springtime Promotions Ford liked to do back in the day.
Do you have any pictures of any unique aspects of the Lone Star edition

Mustang Monthly did a piece a while back: http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mump-0504-1967-ford-mustang-hardtop-lone-star-limited-restoration/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 09:35:13 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 09:51:34 AM »
Yeah mine was in Mustang Monthly also http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/1409-1967-ford-mustang-hardtop-rare-finds/  This was September 2014.

Mine is one of just a few maybe only 2 that we can find with the 200 6 cyl 3 spd eft. The cars had a sprint package and I still have the chrome air cleaner. Hope to drive it by June and have it at the Mustang Shelby meet in Tulsa.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:12:21 AM by Captain Kent »
200 6cyl 3spd

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 10:37:12 AM »
My apologies for derailing the thread, the "Lone Star" reference peaked my curiosity. I do hope, like Jeff mentioned, that you and your son continue to source information to help you with the best decisions possible to achieve your desired results (such as your requested driveshaft markings).

Perhaps, if you choose to, begin a Member's Build/Restoration thread on your unique car. I would thoroughly enjoy watching and participating with your progress as you seek out the finer details of your car.

For the last +40 years, the one common thing I always heard when (even myself) discovered that "Oh, it's ONLY a Coupe", that the nay-Sayers always said "It's not worth anything, so why bother". Well, for me (and it sounds like also for you and your twin brother), it was my "FIRST Car" and for my first car, I wanted something I could enjoy driving for a season and then to one day restore it to it's original glory of "new", in my later years, to after enjoying it again for another season in retirement, to hand down as a legacy of sorts to my offspring. For ME anyways, that makes it worth it to hunt down such details to restore my "It's ONLY a Coupe" car. My project being a mere "labor of love" for all of these now 41-years.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 10:56:20 AM »
This car is very special for a lot of reasons. I want it to be a driver, although limited, not just a trailered car. That being said if I can make it as close to original as I can, leaving some patina I will do that. Case in point I had the original radio overhauled just last week even though AM stations are few and far between. The car is now 85% complete and I hope to drive it this summer.
200 6cyl 3spd

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 07:20:04 PM »
Here is a pic I found on line. I’m sure it’s not right for my car though.
200 6cyl 3spd

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 09:30:16 PM »
I'm no expert, but painted ends of the driveshaft doesn't look right to me.  And I believe there should only be one set of three stripes on driveshafts, at least for V8's. 

Again, I'm no expert, but I understand the driveshafts were cut from a single tube such that there were 3 sections.  Paint stripes were at both ends of the long tube (manufacturer-placed), so that out of every three driveshafts, one would not have paint.  Is this not correct?
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2019, 10:17:04 PM »
I would soak you drive shaft in Evaporust and look for the paint marks

Offline Captain Kent

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 10:31:23 PM »
I did something similar and couldn’t see stripe.  Just had it balanced and stripped. It looks really good, but wanted to do the stripes if that’s correct.
200 6cyl 3spd

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 10:59:23 PM »
I'm no expert, but painted ends of the driveshaft doesn't look right to me.  And I believe there should only be one set of three stripes on driveshafts, at least for V8's. 

On some years and applications the yokes were painted to make identification quicker for the worker to assemble the drivelines. You see the orange on some later (then 65-66) applications. Paint was applied before they were welded to the tube or tubes so you should see the affects of that process. Number of stripes, as far as I've seen, differed depending on year and application. Even changed sometimes during the production year.

Again, I'm no expert, but I understand the driveshafts were cut from a single tube such that there were 3 sections.  Paint stripes were at both ends of the long tube (manufacturer-placed), so that out of every three driveshafts, one would not have paint.  Is this not correct?

Stripes were added after the tubes were cut and the drivelines finished the stenciled number and letters found on early (65-66) drivelines was used to identify the tube as delivered from the supplier according to people I've talked to that worked at one the plants.

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2019, 11:04:35 PM »
Here is a pic I found on line. I’m sure it’s not right for my car though.

As mentioned earlier the buildsheets don't list the colors applied to the drivelines. I looked through my collection and notes and can't offer any help with your specific (67 6 cylinder 3 speed)  application

I'm sure you already realize that the 6 cylinders suffer from much research and documentation in past years making your task just a little more difficult that some other owners. Add that to the fake that you have a 67 - likely the year with the most running changes in production, practices and parts.  There are a few unrestored examples in Unrestored picture section of the site. Have a few more examples by not a ton. Sure as you get comfortable here you will notice a few details you've already chosen for your car that you may choose to redo, make more like original or just choose to leave as is. But those can be discussed in another thread or in your Build thread if you choose to make one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 11:06:56 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle