Author Topic: 68 9 inch differential marks  (Read 1357 times)

Offline ruppstang

68 9 inch differential marks
« on: February 14, 2019, 09:14:19 PM »
I am working on detailing my 68 9 inch differential. The appears to be some writing but I can not make it out. Has any one seen this or can read it?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 9 inch differential marks
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 08:30:06 PM »
I am working on detailing my 68 9 inch differential. The appears to be some writing but I can not make it out. Has any one seen this or can read it?

Guess your referring to the markings on the bottom of the third member - in your example in green.

Yes seen it many times and have a fair number of pictures of it. So far it appears to have started (at least from the examples I have) during approx mid year 67 production and is one of two different styles I've seen applied in that location which might suggest a workers in-house preference (at the Sterling plant) rather than a standard practice by all.

Looking at yours and other 68 examples  the three center markings in my opinion are V4H Not sure if those are vertical lines to the left and the right but the others I have like yours have the same colors and marks at the ends and they don't seem to be legible. Maybe they were not suppose to be but for another purpose or habit

Looks like some of your other markings are a result of other (not visible) marks but pretty typical of what I've seen and collected for decades. The lavender on the pinion retainer I've not seen often 

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:33:35 AM »
Here it is restored.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 02:32:34 PM »
Your not going to want to drive it once it is done it looks so nice  ;) .
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 02:39:10 PM »
Nice work!

Couple items for discussion...

-Filler plug in housing, natural or painted?  I thought natural.
-Brake shoe adjusters, zinc plated or phosphate/natural?  I have found natural/phosphate on earlier cars.

Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 02:47:11 PM »
I'll take the spare you have in the upper left of pic 1.
But, very nice job. And done very quickly too (if I have the dates right).

You put the 9" on the top lip of a 5 gallon bucket and it sits in oil pan.
Do you have slits or holes cut into the bucket so it drains into the oil pan?
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 03:03:56 PM »
I'll take the spare you have in the upper left of pic 1.
But, very nice job. And done very quickly too (if I have the dates right).

You put the 9" on the top lip of a 5 gallon bucket and it sits in oil pan.
Do you have slits or holes cut into the bucket so it drains into the oil pan?

No hole in the bucket, I just added the oil pan to help contain the mess.
A word if warning coming from experience. The third member just barely sits on the rim of a five gallon bucket. It can fall in to the bucket causing a 30 minute  wrestling match to get it out! I recommend a 2.5 gallon bucket.

The other nine inch rear axel is for the 68 S code I am doing. I am using more powder coating rather than natural un finished surfaces so I can drive this one with less mataintaince. I am using SS lines on this one. It will fool most eyes but not those here.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 05:33:27 PM »
Terri lets you bring your parts (like the rear end assy) into the house? I see it all cozy by the fire!
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:21:01 PM »
Terri lets you bring your parts (like the rear end assy) into the house? I see it all cozy by the fire!

That is the show room in my office.

She is very cool about the things I bring home to clean and polish. I dyed some seat belts in one of her pots and turned it and the spoon black. She said no more car parts in the kitchen.

I had a customer who came to the show room in the middle of a restoration and seeing all of the parts she said are you sure that this is not a car restoration business with a home building hobby!

Offline Snydly289

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 11:15:07 PM »
Ruppstang,

I have seen quite a bit of variance in peoples techniques/methods and paint choices for the paint details and markings on 3rd members (both on this site and good ol Google). How did you go about replicating these markings and paint blotches? Also, what brand/type of paint did you decide to go with? The end result you have looks stellar!
65 K Code Fastback -5F09K325XXX, Oct. '64, Vintage Burg, Rally Pac, Arvinode Exh, lots '64 items
66 A Code GT Coupe -4 speed, bench Seat, P/S, A/C, Rally Pac, handling package, 8 track
66 A Code Fastback -Built 302, 66 S2MS Intake, WC T-5, 4-wheel Wilwoods, locking 9"
66 T Coupe
65 T Code Fastback

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 12:47:11 AM »
Ruppstang,

I have seen quite a bit of variance in peoples techniques/methods and paint choices for the paint details and markings on 3rd members (both on this site and good ol Google). How did you go about replicating these markings and paint blotches? Also, what brand/type of paint did you decide to go with? The end result you have looks stellar!

Thanks for the kind words.

I take a lot of pictures when it is wet, it gives better definition and color. I am old school so I print the pictures out. Not necessary if you have a tablet. Look for landmarks when placing the paint dabs. The factory run was challenging.

I have a number of Testors model paint colors. I put drops of different colors on a pad and custom mix to get the color I want. If you mess up making a mark paint thinner takes it right off.

Have fun!

Offline 68 S Code

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 11:32:54 AM »
Did you powder coat the drums and then have them cut on a brake lathe?

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 02:13:31 PM »
I did have the ones on the S code powder coated then surfaced. I thought they turned out nice. The GT350 ones I am not sure how I will finish them. They are blasted for now

Offline preaction

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 02:27:05 PM »
Is the pink on the axle ends typical of 31 spline Assembly's ?
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 03:16:53 PM »
Nice work!

Couple items for discussion...

-Filler plug in housing, natural or painted?  I thought natural.
-Brake shoe adjusters, zinc plated or phosphate/natural?  I have found natural/phosphate on earlier cars.
Relevant points that I agree with.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby