Author Topic: 1966 gt automatic brake pedal bushings  (Read 592 times)

Offline socalgt

1966 gt automatic brake pedal bushings
« on: February 01, 2019, 07:16:39 PM »
My pedal makes an irritating noise when fully released.  I believe it is due to the excess play in the pedal assembly bushings/fasteners.  When I put pressure in either direction the noise is eliminated.  I'm assuming any form of lubrication won't quiet it and the bushings will need replacement?  I can feel the looseness when moving the pedal left or right.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:20:22 PM by socalgt »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1966 gt automatic brake pedal bushings
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 12:08:11 AM »
The bushings have shoulders - those may be worn away or damaged. Hopefully a quick easy fix. Don't recall ever hearing a noise produced by this but with the engine sounds or radio on I'm not sure if I would have noticed :)

Hopefully a 15 minute fix
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 12:34:14 AM »
My pedal makes an irritating noise when fully released.  I believe it is due to the excess play in the pedal assembly bushings/fasteners.  When I put pressure in either direction the noise is eliminated. 
After 53 or so years, the plastic bushings wear out. They cost all of $0.99 each. You need four. Feel free to replace them. It's a good winter task. Don't drop the clip or washer.
As long as you're doing this, consider replacing the two similar bushings used on the shifter.
PS: I use white lithium grease on the shafts.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 10:37:56 AM »
Thanks for the replies...I assume(hope) the pedal is easily removed after removing the clips/retainers?

Offline socalgt

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 03:15:25 PM »
I removed the pin and the bushings and shoulders look good....I'll look for the noise elsewhere.  All I can think of is the noise is actually from the master cylinder rod when fully released...it is new and the noise wasn't there before installing it.