Author Topic: 1968 GT 390 San Jose Correct Steering, Suspension, Brake & Fastener Finishes  (Read 3879 times)

Offline mungus

The more web searching I do and the more "survivor" photos I see The more I think black is correct...  ;D
March 14th 1968 - Metuchen S code Fastback
C6 auto, LS 3.25 diff, Gulfstream Aqua, Black Vinyl, Headrests, Console, GT group, PS, PB, AM/FM stereo, F70 tires, tinted glass, louvered hood.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Agree black finish is what would current be expected and what I've been seeing on originals. NOS are typically also painted black but they painted allot of parts that were meant to be stored on the shelves for extended time periods

A couple of originals for example - Of course have more ;)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline bullitt68

Agree black finish is what would current be expected and what I've been seeing on originals. NOS are typically also painted black but they painted allot of parts that were meant to be stored on the shelves for extended time periods

A couple of originals for example - Of course have more ;)

Hi Jeff. Perhaps it is hard to tell but drag/centre link does appear to be coated and not painted in those photos. My understanding is that the sway bar is painted but the drag link is phosphate and oil from the factory. Would this be a correct assumption.
Mike
1968 Mustang Fastback GT 390 Raven Black, 4 speed
8R02S162374, San Jose, June 5, 1968

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Hi Jeff. Perhaps it is hard to tell but drag/centre link does appear to be coated and not painted in those photos. My understanding is that the sway bar is painted but the drag link is phosphate and oil from the factory. Would this be a correct assumption.

Parts that make up the steering system (minus the PS control head parts) would have been heat treated parts so the oil quenching would have produced a darker finish (depending) on how old the oil was they were using at the time. This finish (other than the machined surfaces or parts added) would have a similar darker finish similar to P & O  though it wasn't originally. Understandable? 
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline TonyH

The 1968 Chassis Assembly Manual (pg 34) lists that the rear brake drums were painted black for the V8 cars with steel styled wheels.  For an early 68 San Jose car, is that correct or were they left natural steel?

v/r
Tony
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 08:32:46 AM by TonyH »
Tony

Driven San Jose 2/23/68 8R02S1427XX
Lime Gold GT Fastback

Offline bullitt68

More finish questions/confirmations ro per brake parts.

Looking to confirm the various finishes for the parts in the photos. We are just about to get up and running with our platting setup and will be doing zinc, cad & dichromate. I will post some photos, but first I want to double check which parts get zinc, cad & dichromate or phosphate.

First Photo: Looking to confirm if these look like original or correct parts. I assumed they were from the markings.

Second Photo: I am not sure if the wheel cylinders are original and assume that the other parts are service replacement/reproductions. Would also like to confirm what size is correct.

Third Photo: Was planning to buy a rebuild kit but would like to confirm spring color as I have seen different kits

Are there any preferred/recommended vendors for any of these parts

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 12:50:56 AM by bullitt68 »
Mike

Offline bullitt68

Looking to confirm the correct finish on the differential vent hose bracket. Mine was painted black, but my understanding is that it should be phosphate. I am also assuming that the vent is correct/original judging by the clamp. Should it be natural or plated?

Thanks
Mike

Offline bullitt68

Looking to confirm the correct finish on these brackets for the front power steering hoses. Mine were painted black, but my understanding is that it should be natural. I am also assuming that the bolts should be phosphate.

Thanks
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Looking to confirm the correct finish on these brackets for the front power steering hoses. Mine were painted black, but my understanding is that it should be natural. I am also assuming that the bolts should be phosphate.

Thanks
Your understanding needs to be updated. Brackets are black.Bolts are phosphate.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Looking to confirm the correct finish on the differential vent hose bracket. Mine was painted black, but my understanding is that it should be phosphate. I am also assuming that the vent is correct/original judging by the clamp. Should it be natural or plated?

Thanks
Bracket was bare steel .The vent tube was bare steel.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline bullitt68

Your understanding needs to be updated. Brackets are black.Bolts are phosphate.

Thanks Bob appreciate it
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
More finish questions/confirmations ro per brake parts.

Looking to confirm the various finishes for the parts in the photos. We are just about to get up and running with our platting setup and will be doing zinc, cad & dichromate. I will post some photos, but first I want to double check which parts get zinc, cad & dichromate or phosphate.

First Photo: Looking to confirm if these look like original or correct parts. I assumed they were from the markings.

Second Photo: I am not sure if the wheel cylinders are original and assume that the other parts are service replacement/reproductions. Would also like to confirm what size is correct.

Third Photo: Was planning to buy a rebuild kit but would like to confirm spring color as I have seen different kits

Are there any preferred/recommended vendors for any of these parts

Thanks
Wheel cylinders are replacement .Originals had the smaller 1/8 bleeder nipples.

Offline bullitt68

Bracket was bare steel .The vent tube was bare steel.

Thanks Bob
Mike

Offline bullitt68

Wheel cylinders are replacement .Originals had the smaller 1/8 bleeder nipples.

Thanks Bob. Are there decent replacement units that are acceptable or should I source originals.
Mike

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Thanks Bob. Are there decent replacement units that are acceptable or should I source originals.
You can check with Chris Brown http://www.brownsautobodyservices.com/classics  .  He sells a nice small bleeder replacement.