Author Topic: 67 GT s code 390 front drum brakes?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline gsxr_11

67 GT s code 390 front drum brakes?
« on: December 18, 2018, 03:29:50 PM »
Hi everyone,

how likely is this possible? From what I know all 1967 GTs came with the power disc brakes on front or am I wrong? The car was build on January 10th in Metuchen.

Thank you!
67 390 S Code Fastback, 7 Oct 66 San Jose
White over blue deluxe interior

Offline 67gta289

Re: 67 GT s code 390 front drum brakes?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 03:56:56 PM »
Not likely if it is a true GT.

Very likely though if it is a 390 without the GT equipment group option.

Many are confused about this because Ford called the engine the 390 GT

Can you share the Marti report?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline gsxr_11

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 04:45:39 PM »
That is what confuses me because Marti report says it is GT equiped. Report attached. On the other hand seller says the VIN on the fender appron is missing so there is only door tag and buck tag.

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 05:15:55 PM »
should have disc brakes.  are both fender apron VINs missing?  with one gone, and drum brakes...sounds fishy.

you should be able to look for more clues, such as:

1. Proper rear axle
2. Correct front sway bar
3. Dual exhaust stiffener plates
4. Evidence of original color in some hard to reach areas
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline gsxr_11

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 06:18:44 PM »
The one on the drivers side is missing. The other one is on the passanger side fender?

1) yes 9inch rearend already checked
2) no idea - photo attached
3) yes - also attached
4) nope according to seller it was in original color with primer spots all over the car when he bought it (25 years ago) and stripped it down to metal so no evidence of original color anywhere.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 06:24:52 PM by gsxr_11 »

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 11:56:58 PM »
The one on the drivers side is missing. The other one is on the passanger side fender?

1) yes 9inch rearend already checked
2) no idea - photo attached
3) yes - also attached
4) nope according to seller it was in original color with primer spots all over the car when he bought it (25 years ago) and stripped it down to metal so no evidence of original color anywhere.
VIN is not on the fender but under the passenger side fender out of sight typically.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 12:19:50 PM »
That Marti Report is unlike any Marti Report that I have ever seen. Did you buy that from Marti Autoworks yourself? It seems very odd to me. Why does it not list the car's options? It says "features" where I would expect to see the word "options"?
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline gsxr_11

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 12:46:06 PM »
Yes I purchased it from Martiauto. It's a standard report. It says FEATURES even on the sample report on their site...

Offline gsxr_11

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 01:03:40 PM »
VIN is not on the fender but under the passenger side fender out of sight typically.

Thank you. The seller is checking it. If it is there I will have to dig more into this puzzle.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 06:15:14 PM »
I think I must be looking at too many older Marti Reports - I went through maybe 30 of them today and found that Marti for whatever reason changed from using the word options to features. It appears he made the change in 2010.

Yes I purchased it from Martiauto. It's a standard report. It says FEATURES even on the sample report on their site...
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 10:30:56 PM »
It's possible the car had a former life as a part time drag racer.

Popular consensus at the time was that the disc brakes weighed too much (they weighed more than drums) and added drag.

Look for other clues for a drag race history.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 06:39:44 AM »
I'll take back my comment on the sway bar, since it is a bolt-in type change.  If someone went to the effort of changing brakes, a sway bar change is nothing in comparison.

The lack of the VIN stamp is more bothersome than the brakes.  Attached is a picture that shows in yellow where you should expect to see the inner fender stamped VIN that is exposed at an area cut or notched out.  The orange area shows the general area where you should find the "hidden" VIN.  As Bob stated the fender needs to be moved to see it.

If the hidden VIN is there, then you have to think that the driver's side was replaced due to an accident.  If that is the case, the brake swap is baffling.

If the hidden VIN is not there, then I would be suspicious of a re-body.  I suppose a major wreck of the whole front end might have been possible, but something of that nature might have result in an insurance write off.  I suppose if the car was less than 2 years old at the time it might have been a different story.

The other key item (to me) to check would be the dual exhaust support steel.  Take a look on the interior of the car with the rear seat removed.  Referring to the picture, since the dual exhaust was hung from the floor pan, an additional layer of steel was added to strengthen the area.   If missing, this was not an original dual exhaust body, and therefore was not a 390.

Lastly, for color, it is not uncommon to find evidence of the original color in a few key spots, even if media blasted.  For a fastback, on the back side of the filler panel between the rear glass and the deck lid is one of those places.  See the attached picture of an unrestored example.  Another similar spot are areas behind the kick panel.  You might only see weak signs of the original color.

As far as the rear axle goes, 67 had a unique situation with the oil fill plug.  If the car does not have the correct one, that is another "hit".  You can use the search engine to find discussion and supporting pictures for this.

John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline gsxr_11

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 06:21:35 AM »
I'll take back my comment on the sway bar, since it is a bolt-in type change.  If someone went to the effort of changing brakes, a sway bar change is nothing in comparison.

The lack of the VIN stamp is more bothersome than the brakes.  Attached is a picture that shows in yellow where you should expect to see the inner fender stamped VIN that is exposed at an area cut or notched out.  The orange area shows the general area where you should find the "hidden" VIN.  As Bob stated the fender needs to be moved to see it.

If the hidden VIN is there, then you have to think that the driver's side was replaced due to an accident.  If that is the case, the brake swap is baffling.

If the hidden VIN is not there, then I would be suspicious of a re-body.  I suppose a major wreck of the whole front end might have been possible, but something of that nature might have result in an insurance write off.  I suppose if the car was less than 2 years old at the time it might have been a different story.

The other key item (to me) to check would be the dual exhaust support steel.  Take a look on the interior of the car with the rear seat removed.  Referring to the picture, since the dual exhaust was hung from the floor pan, an additional layer of steel was added to strengthen the area.   If missing, this was not an original dual exhaust body, and therefore was not a 390.

Lastly, for color, it is not uncommon to find evidence of the original color in a few key spots, even if media blasted.  For a fastback, on the back side of the filler panel between the rear glass and the deck lid is one of those places.  See the attached picture of an unrestored example.  Another similar spot are areas behind the kick panel.  You might only see weak signs of the original color.

As far as the rear axle goes, 67 had a unique situation with the oil fill plug.  If the car does not have the correct one, that is another "hit".  You can use the search engine to find discussion and supporting pictures for this.

Thank you for helping me out. I am now waiting for the info / photo that the passenger fender VIN is there.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 05:34:32 PM »
The lack of the VIN stamp is more bothersome than the brakes.  Attached is a picture that shows in yellow where you should expect to see the inner fender stamped VIN that is exposed at an area cut or notched out.  The orange area shows the general area where you should find the "hidden" VIN. 

The passenger side "hidden vin" is not located in the section or inner fender panel you highlighted on a 67 San Jose car but instead in front of the shock tower on the battery box panel. One of the reasons are often missing is that the panel has been replaced due to replacement from battery rust or front end accident.

A good front end accident replacing both forward inner panels leads to allot of issues and problems for current and later owners. Not one of Fords better ideas that year.

Here is an example of one that has been welded back into a new inner fender panel

Another place to hunt for the original color or at least traces in under the rear seat while your their looking for the exhaust supports
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 05:37:38 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline rocnhrse

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »
In my restoration  process  I noticed  I had one replacement  front fender, with ford part number  in yellow  still visible,  the holes for standard  mustang  running  horse and engine  call out were filled, the original  fender  never had those pre stamped  holes, only  the holes for the GT or GTA emblem, did GTfenders  have a different  part number?
67 mustang  GTA  S code fastback  San Jose  April 67