Author Topic: 67 San Jose Splash Shields and Rubber  (Read 2644 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: 67 San Jose Splash Shields and Rubber
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2020, 08:52:28 AM »
May be the same product. can't be certain. Need to correct myself and clarify that this was not applied to the passenger side on this year and at this plant typically.

A pillar or cowl side but only to the drivers side as shown in the pictures below.  Upper left - allot applied and fairly close producing sharper edges and runs . Lower right - lighter application producing the spider web look around the edges

For the A pillar application a rattle can rubber based black product should work if you can get one with the right nozzle and technique to reproduce the look. Often it's a combination of product and technique - both necessary to get you to the goal. To get a similar look years ago I used a rubberized paintable (though it didn't need to be ) black Bondo undercoating in a rattle can . Don't recall if I modified the nozzle
Great help, thank you.

Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2020, 09:46:17 AM »
It may be a bit difficult to install the left (drivers) side splash shield with the fenders already on. There are 2 attaching screws (center 2 of 4 used) that go through the splash shield into the cowl, from behind the shield. I am not sure there is any way to easily access those 2 with the fender in the way. The passengers side, these same (center 2) screws go the other direction (through a hole in the cowl, into the splash shield), at least making it more feasible to accomplish with the fender in place. This situation would suggest (to me at least) that the rear shields were installed PRIOR to the fenders. The front (smaller) splash shields I would agree, would probably be easier after the fender was already mounted.

I have not see splash shields installed in that way. Are you sure it was a factory installation? I do not think the assembly manual show them installed that way.

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2020, 10:47:20 AM »
I have not see splash shields installed in that way. Are you sure it was a factory installation? I do not think the assembly manual show them installed that way.
You are of course correct. (according to assembly manual). I will review the "why it appears to be that way" on my example but the screw holes suggested it on my original shield. (anomaly if nothing else).
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gtasanjose

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 04:26:08 PM »
You are of course correct. (according to assembly manual). I will review the "why it appears to be that way" on my example but the screw holes suggested it on my original shield. (anomaly if nothing else).
Nope, no anomaly...I had them backwards. We can strike all comments relating to bolt direction.
Richard Urch